Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

Pat , tellin' it like it is! I get tired of being edited by the mods around this joint. A guy can't speak his own opinion and has to tread on eggshells , or it get's deleted or modded....just sayin'.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been on full moderated status for a couple of months now. Admittedly I gave them cause but it's about time they lighten up. I spend most of my "play time" at another site because they wan't to keep being the hard guy.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I didn't get what I paid for with DA. I got ripped off. All I got was this shiney pretty engine that would quit on me during inverted 3D maneuvers at low RPM's. Would quit ever time. After 6 dead sticks...and amazingly an un-crashed Edge 540....I sold the DA-50. Then I heard the DL's didn't do this. So I paid $400 and got way more than I paid for. No dead sticks during the same exact manuevers....the same exact plane and setup down to the fuel tank and fuel lines. So from my experience, you DON'T get what you pay for. Buying another lemon from DA won't save the country. Get over it.
You sold the DA? It had a defect known to you and you sold it? Did you have it serviced by DA? Did you even contact DA? Or did you just want to be able to b*&% about it.

Yes, you do get what you pay for. Your example of one doesn't change that a bit.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Offend and flame away.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI and FWIW, I paste here a copy of the email response from the owner of the DLE factory concerning the casting flaw issue.

- Forwarded Message -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:19:02 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: from dle

Hi Tom,

Certainly you purchase from us.

Considering the shipping cost, Could you replace cylinders for your customers temporarily? We'll send you those failured cylinders with your next shipment.

We also noticed the problem at cylinder, such as voids and bad edge rounding at exhaust.
It's hard to avoid problems for a developed cylinder. Please be confident with our technology, we'll fix the problem soon.

Regards
Donglin

Old 04-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Eagleburger

I have on in the 400s and it is perfect. The one one i have <50 is like the one in the OP maybe worse. Cant complain about its performance.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Casting flaws you can see are one thing, how would you feel if you got your new DLE 55 and turned it over, by hand no plug and felt a slight hard spot, upon turning the engine over and pulling the piston back down just to see a nice big scratch on the ring and piston deep enough to catch a fingernaill on. It was large enough and deep enough It would have never sealed with breakin, Needless to say it went back , Still waiting on the outcome of things.
There must have been a chunk of chrome flash on the inside of the exhaust port that caused this and got missed when the engine was assembled, One thing is for sure it was never turned all the way over at the factory.

This is what happened to my flying bud going on 3 weeks ago.
Maybe they pushed a little to hard to get us this new DLE 55 and a few flaws are out there ??
He had to out do my DL 50 with the 55 ,or I could have fixed him right up, I had a new bowman ring for the 50 already here *L*
No I am not complaining at all I just wanted the good folks on here to know what happened with his engine.
Lets see how the vendor takes care of this problem before we comment on who what or where .
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

I have the casting voids on my new DL 111cc engine. I noticed them ... but I didn't sweat a whole lot about them. I hate the idea of breaking down a brand new engine, so I'll likely fly mine just as it is, knowing that Valleyview is committed to taking care of me should any issue arise. I doubt there will be.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Hey, out of my curiosity, has anyone seen how these casting molds are done, and can speak to this? Are all molds done from one plug? Are there many multiples cast at one time or singularly in rapid fire? Just wondered how a casting void can be replicated so many times before being caught. I'm not speaking of how they could leave the factory ... thats another discussion.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:15 AM
DaBear1

Wolf,

The engine did trun over very smoothly. No tight spots, good "woosh" out of the spark plug hole. I think the engine would have run fine.

My concern was cracking around the exaust port. Big Old pipe hangin off of her with some vibration and Pop. Off goes the exhaust and I'm out of commission during prime flying time in Minnesota. The summers are short here, the ice went off the lake last week. I didn't want to wait weeks to get it fixed.

My LHS took care of me. This was the first motor in a bigger batch comming "next week" I keep everyone posted about the next one.

DaBear
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 AM
wavy777

My new DLE111 looks just as bad as that in the exhaust ports, now its turning a 28 x 10 @ 6200.... doesnt effect them at all....go fly it!