Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
DaBear1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to gas engines. I've been waiting for my LHS to get a bunch of DLE 55's in. He got them, I picked it up yesterday and there are some large casting voids around the exaust.

Should i take this engine back? He said all of the engines he got have these voids. Is this normal? Like I said, I'm new to Gas engines.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20698.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1180709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79020.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1180710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54951.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1180711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85878.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1180712  
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Do I need to worry about this DLE 55 - Casting Voids

wow.....actually i wouldn't run that motor if i was you. take it back to the LHS and see if they will replace it for another one. They can deal with sending it back to DL USA or what ever distributor they bought it from. I don't think it should be that big of a deal , but you want your exhaust port to be as smooth as possible. That hole is gonna fill up with carbon and do nothing but "drag" the exhaust after time i think. It probably wouldn't really hurt performance , but that thing should have never been put together at the factory with a flaw like that.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM
DSTIEBS

It may not hurt anything but the craftsmanship is very poor. I wonder if there are anymore voids in the casting that could weaken the cylinder or is this a sleeved engine? If they have more of them take it back and exchange it.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may not hurt but if it was mine I would be thinking that would be a likely location for a crack to develop in the exhaust port of the head. I would return the engine under a workmanship warranty issue and obtain a different one. If they are "all like that" I would consider a different brand of engine. Take it back to the LHS and do some cherry picking
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I think it would not probably do didley to the running performance but that void could easily be the source of a future crack. That's a really bad place to not have metal IMO.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Tired Old Man

I seriously doubt they are all like that. Problems happen from time to time but that would not be a constant in the casting process. Too much opportunity to correct it once the first couple were pulled from the mold.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:24 PM
tail strike

I would take it back, I'm thinking if ther is a void there are there voids somewhere els?
That void dosn't say much for there qulity controll, but then were are talking China here.
Better chaeck for led content,
check for what ever it was they put in all that plaster board the shiped here by the thousand of tons that causes electrical wires and copper pips to corrode.
check that it don't have the chemicals that they put in the dog food that killed several dogs,
check that it don't have the chemicals thet was in the toothpast the made for us
If it is made in China all bets are off [:@]
I got my ingine from Desert Aircraft American made in Arizona USA.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Tired Old Man

No need to start a product war or rant. Even the big guys make mistakes now and then.

In this case I believe the purchaser received some misinformation when he was provided the statement about all of them being like that. Sounded more like a small shop keeper trying to move inventory and avoid return hassles.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Well.......I saw one (DLE) that looked just like that, of all places, on display at the "Toledo/Show", (don't remember which vender)....Apparently could not find a "Good" one even for that!.....FWIW
Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 PM
JoeAirPort

Flame throwers all over the place around here....man. [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM
jedijody

I have noticed this on a few engines, in fact when these engines first hit the US several of the very lowest serial numbered engines were very rough looking. I chose to put #11 on my Yak. It's exhaust port is worse than the one pictured in post #1. It runs like a scalded ape and after more than 5 gallons of fuel has not developed any other problems.

We have contacted the factory and are awaiting a reply. Rest assured, any engine purchased from VVRC that developes problems due to this issue will be supported. If you have one that is NIB, purchased from VVRC, and would like it replaced with one that has a better "looking" port, send it back and I'll gladly exchange it. If you have been running the engine without problems, you are better off to continue to do so.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

What can you expect?

There is a reson why these are so cheap. Fire it up and run it. If you don't like the way it looks buy a DA and support your country. If we don't start supporting our country China will control us without firing a shot and you won't have to worry about your castings because there will not be RC!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
JoeAirPort

Can't wait to buy one actually. Jody you'll have my order that's for sure.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Kimhoff

What can you expect?

There is a reson why these are so cheap. Fire it up and run it. If you don't like the way it looks buy a DA and support your country. If we don't start supporting our country China will control us without firing a shot and you won't have to worry about your castings because there will not be RC!
Hmmm, club Saito member. Where was that made?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM
DaBear1

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

Jeremy at Big Sky Hobbies pull cash out of his drawer and returned the item no questions asked.

Thanks Dude!!!!

I'm sure it was just missed in QC and the next one will be fine.

I'm too excited to sleep.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Robotech

Buy it. Fly it!

There is a reason for such a cheap price and consequences as well. It's not built to the exacting standards of quality other engines are but then you don't pay for those exacting standards.

How many times must it be said, especially in regards to engines. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
JEFFRO503

Sheeeeesh.....here we go! Club saito member not remembering the 1000 DA-50's that we're all shipped out and we're complete lemons. Don't confuse the words "American made" and actually believe it's ALL made in America. My favorite engine line come from a completely different "American" company , but i know some of the parts are made over seas......same with DA. I think about 99% of the products we buy today has some China based influence....RC is no different.

On a side note.....the DL50 was an extremely "proven" motor.....and the DL-55 will be no different. Just because you pay less doesn't mean anything. Their service is outstanding and wouldn't ya know it.....it pulls better RPM's than the DA. I support DA bigtime because of all the support they give the Public , but just because they are put together here in the states , doesn't always mean they are the best motor , or best bang for the buck.

BTW...DABEAR.....good job and good eye on catching that blemish. The DL distributors like Jody from Valley View are really good people. I wouldn't hesitate buying anything from them.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
JoeAirPort

I didn't get what I paid for with DA. I got ripped off. All I got was this shiney pretty engine that would quit on me during inverted 3D maneuvers at low RPM's. Would quit ever time. After 6 dead sticks...and amazingly an un-crashed Edge 540....I sold the DA-50. Then I heard the DL's didn't do this. So I paid $400 and got way more than I paid for. No dead sticks during the same exact manuevers....the same exact plane and setup down to the fuel tank and fuel lines. So from my experience, you DON'T get what you pay for. Buying another lemon from DA won't save the country. Get over it.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Tired Old Man

This thread is going to get shut down pretty soon I think.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That port looks terrible. I'd like to see the other ports and the liner of the cylinder to see what they look like. Looks like a few bad ones got through QC.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
rcbill

After seeing the pictures on the DL 55 I went out to the garage to take the muffler off from mine. I was planning to run the engine mounted on the plane today (thursday) and wanted to compare mine with the pics above before being run. The exhaust port on mine is not machined so it's a little rough which is fine with me. There are no holes anywhere so my plans to just start it up today are going to happen. I don't have the servos for it yet but I am anxious to just fire it up for a few seconds to make sure everything is going to work before I hack up the cowl...... The money for the servos went into the mail for taxes so I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks to rebound. For the time I'll fly my reliable 60cc Brillelli or my DA 50 which runs a lot more dependable after a few modes I did this winter..... Bill
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Guys, I have removed several posts.

Please leave the poltical banter off the forums and keep the thread on topic. It's an honest question and the input will help others.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I had a casting flaw in my first DL100 that I wasn't comfortable with. It most likely wouldn't have been a problem, but I didn't want to take the chance and contacted the vendor that I bought it from up here in Canada. I was more than willing to just have a head shipped to me and I would have changed it, but they asked for the complete engine back and shipped me a new one. The flaw was a hole or pit in the side of the head that was close to 1/8" deep.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41272.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1181283  
Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Tired Old Man

Guys,

I have a DL 100. Ity uses DL 50 heads. Most 100's use the heads from an associated baby 50cc brother unless the engine was designed completely different from other engines in the makers line. So figure that the DL 111 will use DL 33 heads. The condition noted on a few 55's will most certainly be caught and corrected, if they haven't done so already. By itself this thread would have alerted them to the issue, but as stated earlier, at least one dealer already had done that.

The heads on my 100 do not have any casting errors. The exhaust ports are not machined smooth but that really has no impact on the performance side of things. None at all. Polishing the exhaust port on our engines is only a waste of time and effort.

My DL 100 runs very good. Equal to any other 100cc engine on the market. Is the internal quality equal to DA, 3w, BME, Taurus, or some of the other "western" engines? No, it's not. I have no idea how long it will last but it hauls my 35% Edge around all day long, out of sight vertical at 25.5 pounds, ripping a 27-10 BME laminated prop so bad it sounds like a siren. The RCGF 100's I have are similar in l performance to the DL. I'm not going to say which one puts out more because they are not far apart, but both engine lines make plently of power for the intended application.

The point is they do the job they were intended for, pull planes along and provide me with a lot of fun at a relatively cheap price. I have much more expensive engines and could and will obtain more, but the DL's and RCGF's were intended to test the waters of the budget engine market. They work, they do not cost a lot comparitively, and they get people flying that may not be able to afford the better and more expensive exgines. Do I expect them to last as long as the big boys? No, but who knows, perhaps they will. Only time will tell.

In the mean time I'm going to fly them until they die, then replace or repair them as needed. Those that expect western quaqlity for the price they pay for an eastern engine are being unrealistic. You do get what you pay for and to complain loudly about obtaining that level of quality at a much lower price is silly. If you want super high quality, pay for it. Until then, accept that you could not or did not want to pay for a more expensive engine. Enjoy what you have and join the large club of product beta testers that are out there determining how long these products will last. I'm part of that crowd and I think I'm in some pretty good company. So lets go fly.

Now, for moderator Nathan; You guys ever going to give my ability to edit back or are you going to play bad mama and punish indefinately? I don't really care anymore but it would save a little bit of thjread space if I didn't have to make a new post to fix small errors. RCU's call of course.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Love your new sig Pat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.