Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G38 ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 AM
rcm243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G38 ignition

After a while on the shelf I find that my G-38 no longer fires, its set up with the flywheel and coil system from the factory, my guess is that the coil is bad, where would I look for a new coil rather than dealing with Horizon?
I konw there`s places that sell these parts, anyone got any ideas? RCM 243
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: G38 ignition

Give the Zenoah guru Ralph Cunningham of RC Ignitions a call at 928-635-2455 and he should be able to fix you right up.

Karol
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
flygilmore

If you can't get him, check on ebay, there are always tons of zenoah parts there. Ijust type in Zenoah under all categories and stores too and hundreds of stuff comes up. Ihave seen other online hobby shops with Zenoah parts, Ithink maybe Advantage hobby if Iremember correctly has a bunch of parts. Strange that the coil would go bad, did you try different plugs? No wires to touching anywhere to "kill" the spark is there?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 AM
arobatx

Remove the plug, place firmly back in boot and hold threads against the cylinder, make sure your ignition cutoff is 'on' and have a buddy spin the engine with an electric  starter to confirm healthy spark.  I'd put more money on the carb not pumping due to stiff and dry diaphragms and/or varnish buildup in the carb.  A quick inspection will confirm this....
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coils do not go bad with storage. Carbs do. Also suspect the wiring to and from the coil.
Like arobatx said
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
mogman

I agree, sounds like a dry carb. Can you get fuel to drip from the carb when you choke it? Take the plate off the carb and make sure the little "flapper valves" are not stuck to the carb body.
Pull the other plate off and make sure the diaphragm is supple and not dried out. Also check the screen is not plugged up. A carb kit may be in order...easily obtained from a power equipment or saw shop.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
rcm243

Actually last fall the plane that the g 38 was in crashed and I just put the motor on the shelf until I got a new plane and now that I have the motor on it it won`t fire, its getting gas , my guess is that the crash damaged the coil but there`s not a scratch on the coil.
The plane hit hard enough to bend the crankshaft, so after a new crank assy. I still am going to have to spend more money.
RCM243
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
arobatx

Ralph (noted above by Karolh) is an excellent contact for zenoah parts, and post warranty service. He straightens cranks as well.

did you already replace the crank?

have you already tested for spark?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

I think you can get a coil from www.Bennettbuilt.com

billrad
Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get in touch with Ralph...he can zero the crank back in and can also set you up with a much better ignition. His price is very good. Capt,n P.S. The G38 crank bends easy on just a bad prop strike on landing. http://www.rcignitions.com/