Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 AM
DamonR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I have a Kankge Extra 330 with a DA-50, it's a really good airplane. I is a little heavy as configured, some is my fault, I added a hefty engine box to get the correct engine standoff. It could use a carbon landing gear, but it fly's great.

I started a thread...

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8938797/anchors_8938797/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8938797]Kankge Extra 330[/link]
Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 AM
DamonR

We have several Kangke fliers at each of the clubs I belong to, I haven't heard any complaints.

The Monocoupe seems like a good candidate for the SAP 180:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQGEq0DPYU[/youtube]
Old 04-11-2010, 07:22 AM
DamonR

The Kangke Rearwin Speedster is another good candidate:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RfzsFQIhFk[/youtube]
Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
SteelersRule!

While at the Weak Links R/C show in Toledo this weekend, in taking a break, i went to get a sandwich. I saw a guy with a a Exhibitor badge in front of me and I asked what he did. Turns out it was Todd Syssa of Syssa Engines. I told him I would stop by his booth later and check it out. I went over later and he a lot of seasoned builders peppering him about his new engine and after a very short period of time it was obvious the builders were very impressed with the quality of the build and the parts that were in it.

Every question they asked him, he had a more than adequate answer on his .. They were impressed with the quality of every element of the engines parts, the quality of build, and to me the absolute way Todd answered every question for them in a very straightforward and honest way. I made friends with a couple of guys that run a R/C club in Indiana and they both bought 2 engines. They told me they were sending their ______ engines back because of how impressed they were with Todd's engine and especially Todd.
Todd is anything but a salesman. He is an engineer and a craftsman. I think that was more important than the flashy ads we see everyday.

My new friends mentioned to me they were going to go back Sunday and by a couple more engines. It was a pleasure to meet Todd and his crew,they have the pride and dedication that was the backbone of our country at one time and we need more people like him and his company.

I'm saying all this even though my $5.50 turkey sub ended up in a $450.00 investment.

After listening to the experienced builders at his booth and the buzz that you heard from them and their friends, I didn't feel apprehensive about taking the plunge with Syssa.

I wish him and his company all the best. There was a time when America made all the best products in the world. It's hard to compete with foreign labor costs but I felt that the quality of his product and being made in the USA were a tipping point for me. The unbridled pride that Todd has in his engine and also to see how humble he is, it was easy for me to take the plunge.

It's great to see a heck of a quality product made in the US. I sure didn't mind paying a small premium for the engine. How many engine makers can you pickup the phone and ask questions too? Give them a look. I think you will be impressed.

All the best for the Syssa company and i look forward to seeing new products from them.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

lpkorpas1,

I am sure you will love your new engine.

As with most new products there have been some minor issues such as the "soft key" issue which eventually got me too, but they were all worked in a very professional and timely manner. I have dealt with other engine manufacturers that consider several months a "quick turn" for an engine repair.

BTW - During the last couple of days we finally had some good flying weather and I spent a lot of time helping and watching people with other engine brands that required a great deal of prop flipping and a few even required the use of an electric starter. Made me feel that the extra money I spent on the Syssa was well worth it.

Can't wait to see what the 60 cc engine looks like.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
SteelersRule!

Your right Steve, Ibelieve they will always be great on service. The have a reputation to build!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
SteelersRule!

they told me about you Saturday! Beeline to Sysaa!I wanted to chat about the show on a forum where should I go or just stay on this one? Wondered what those that went sae interesting/new/ etc.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

The sebart 140 yak might be a fun plane on the syssa 30cc.
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=8623
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
SteelersRule!

nice! I am putting mine on my BH Ryan STA .120 ARF, will let you know

[*]Wingspan: 1800mm[*]Length: 1350mm[*]Weight: 3.6Kg[*]Servos: 5 Servos[*]IC Engine: .55~.61 2-Stroke or .91 4-Stroke[*]Radio System: 4/5 Channel[/list]
Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
SteelersRule!

As usual, I put the wrong Ryan STA on my post, here i the correct one.
    [*]Wingspan: 2350mm (92.52")[*]Length: 1730mm (68.11")[*]Weight: 6kg (13.20lbs)[*]Servos: 8 Servos[*]Petrol Engine: 26cc Gas[*]Radio System: 6 Channel[/list]
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who makes that Ryan STA 120, lpkorpas1?? I'm a guy who loves planes with wheel pants, and the Ryan STA has always been one of the big visual favorites of mine, ever since SIG sold them.....

Found it, BH Models. This thing has no details on it. Is the wing one-piece or does it break down to two pieces? Really sketchy info there...

~ Jim ~
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
SteelersRule!

I will get some pertainent info tomorrow to post. the finishing of the model is unreal. got the .40 Wedell-Williams Red Lion as well
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
SteelersRule!

Red Lion is also BH.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: lpkorpas1

As usual, I put the wrong Ryan STA on my post, here i the correct one.[img][/img]
    [*]Wingspan: 2350mm (92.52'')[*]Length: 1730mm (68.11'')[*]Weight: 6kg (13.20lbs)[*]Servos: 8 Servos[*]Petrol Engine: 26cc Gas[*]Radio System: 6 Channel[/list]

Great looking plane!

The weight sure is light for a 92" wingspan; my GS Sportster is about the same weight with only an 82" wingspan and the Syssa engine. It does fly great at about 1/2 throttle though.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM
SteelersRule!

I was lucky enough to get one at the Toledo show, should arrive today!
I will put it on my fireplace mantle to look at until my BH Ryan STA .120 is complete.
Flyng weight 12-13 lbs. 97' wingspan. should be awesome!!!!

It may get lost in the cowl as it seems to be the size of a bucket!

Thanks Todd for answering all those questions to all of us at your booth. The patience of Job!!

The smoke option will be of great interest to the RCU crowd as well, not sure if this was mentioned as it will be easy to hook up.

NOW get back to work making all these guys happy with their new engine!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
cmoulder

The smoke option will be of great interest to the RCU crowd as well, not sure if this was mentioned as it will be easy to hook up.
For a simple, lightweight smoke solution, you can use crankcase pressure (crankcase would have to be tapped by Todd... don't know if he would recommend..?) and one of [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXD625&P=8]these[/link].

Needs only one servo to control on/off and fluid flow rate (using servo end point), and the whole set-up, including tank, would weigh about 6-7 oz. I did it in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8789599/tm.htm]in a .46-sized plane with a .61 glow engine[/link] and it weighed about 5 oz.

The only downside is that it uses positive pressure (vs negative pressure for a dedicated pump) and would require very solid plumbing connections to avoid leaks. But you want good plumbing no matter what you use for a pump. Put a "T" on the line coming from the crankcase to make a vent which would be used when filling, and it can be done with 2 lines into the tank.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
SteelersRule!

Todd has a very easy setup on his Syssa for the smoke application
Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: lpkorpas1

Todd has a very easy setup on his Syssa for the smoke application
Do you know the weight? Most electric smoke pump systems weigh 12-16 oz dry, depending on which pump and tank (and battery... or RX battery) you employ.

Just seems a shame to waste all that free crankcase pressure.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Just got the 1st 1/2 gal through my new motor. Set up is 40:1 non synthetic with IBE, APC 18.1x10 and ES30G pipe. The motor started easily and is very user friendly. Outside of blowing black tarry crap all over the siding on the house, the experience was uneventful.

I am surprised at how broad the High speed needle is. The motor seems to run well at anything over 2.25 turns out. The low speed needle is a lot mor sensitive but very manageable. However the HSN will get sensitive when the pipe gets too short.

I am seeing some totally impressive numbers! I know this a bigger prop than most will use but this prop is a benchmark for alot of pattern engines. 8160 is the best I've seen with a sustainable idle of 1700. This is good stuff!

After seeing the 8160 the motor looses about 250 rpm and will settle in at about 7900 or so. Will this drop go away as I get more gas through the motor? RC Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

The HS needle will get more sensitive when you've broken it in more, and when the temp gets higher than say 80 or 85... Easily adjusted.

~ Jim ~
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the info Jim.

Question.. What does it really take to break this thing in? How do you know when its there? I would not have any problem putting this engine on a plane right now but I want to get a little more info before I remove my OS160 and replace it with the Syssa.
Thanks again,
Rick
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Rick,

Most of the guys have started to see some changes not too far from where you are now, up until about a gallon and a half.

Most adjustments will be from changing air temps.

~ Jim ~
Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: RC11

Thanks for the info Jim.

Question.. What does it really take to break this thing in? How do you know when its there? I would not have any problem putting this engine on a plane right now but I want to get a little more info before I remove my OS160 and replace it with the Syssa.
Thanks again,
Rick
Rick, maybe Matt will weigh in with some more specific information with regards to running this engine with a tuned pipe. The SAP-180 is the 6th gas engine that I have had experience with - and the first with a tuned pipe - and my impression thus far is that getting optimum power and an optimum throttle curve (thru pipe length and carb tuning) is a different beast altogether than tuning with a Pitts muffler or a side dump muffler. With those kinds of mufflers, you get what you got and then you deal with it. The tuned pipe introduces a quite significant variable.

That said, I have a bit over 3 gallons through mine now and it is settling down nicely with excellent vertical capability with the APC 18.1x10. Still working on the throttle curve, but that is almost there as well. Now that the pipe coupler problems are pretty much resolved, I have finally got the needles extremely close to where I want them. Got in some good flights yesterday, and later I will pull the cowl to check everything and get an accurate count on the needle turns. I have a hole in the cowl to access the needles, but I want it off so I can get a good look when I make this critical check.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

ORIGINAL: RC11

Thanks for the info Jim.

Thanks again,
Rick
Rick, maybe Matt will weigh in with some more specific information with regards to running this engine with a tuned pipe. The SAP-180 is the 6th gas engine that I have had experience with - and the first with a tuned pipe - and my impression thus far is that getting optimum power and an optimum throttle curve (thru pipe length and carb tuning) is a different beast altogether than tuning with a Pitts muffler or a side dump muffler. With those kinds of mufflers, you get what you got and then you deal with it. The tuned pipe introduces a quite significant variable.

That said, I have a bit over 3 gallons through mine now and it is settling down nicely with excellent vertical capability with the APC 18.1x10. Still working on the throttle curve, but that is almost there as well. Now that the pipe coupler problems are pretty much resolved, I have finally got the needles extremely close to where I want them. Got in some good flights yesterday, and later I will pull the cowl to check everything and get an accurate count on the needle turns. I have a hole in the cowl to access the needles, but I want it off so I can get a good look when I make this critical check.

Any pics?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
cmoulder

I don't have any pics of the whole assembly, but [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9623509]here[/link], (a couple pages back) is a photo of the JB Weld lip on the ES pipe and a description. This is just the latest iteration of the coupler saga, and I also have some silicone "turbo hose" that I will try next, even if this one holds up a long time, as it appears it might. I think Rick (RC11) has some of the turbo hose as well, so he will know before I do whether it works out okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.