Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Nothing quite like a GP Giant Super Sportster! That's my everyday flyer.

~ Jim ~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42258.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1792446  
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 AM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's my everyday flyertoo; I have a Stick, but so does everyone else and the Super Sportser looks like a real plane.

I just put it on the charger; getting ready to go out for the third time this week. Love being retired.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Since I "retired" to write my books, I've had less time to fly than I did before. I keep saying, "I'll just grab one day during this week and sneak off to the field." Then it's Friday, and my list is as long as it was on Monday. So. . . Saturdays, off to the field. IF my lovely wife doesn't grab me for a project. Big change, eh? LOL

I'm glad to hear it's going as planned for somebody! That gives me hope.

I am enjoying it, though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Syssa 180HP just a few days ago and will be mounting it on my test stand this weekend for breaking it in a bit and running some prop and sound tests.  I will be using a Vess 18.5 X 5.5 for a base prop with some APC and Zingers as alternates for comparison.

Sound tests will be done using a Radio Shack sound meter at 25 feet from the side of the engine.  I'll try both with and without the restrictor plugs to see if there is a performance loss with them installed.

The engine will be used in a SIG Rascal 110, the new one with flaps, and the complete review of both the plane and the engine will be published in an upcoming issue of High Flight magazine.

I may be passing some info along to RCU readers here too.

And I do plan to open up the bottom and front of the Rascal cowl as much as possible for adequate cooling.

BTW, Todd is now making standoffs that place the spinner at 6" from the firewall, just perfect for us Rascal builders!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 AM
JeffinTD

Well, I thought I had my engine running well, but I think I'm going to have to send it back in again.

Fired up the Rascal yesterday, actually got it to start by hand. I had put a new plug in it, and it looked like it had been running rich.

Flew it, it burbled a bit on transition which it hasnt done befor and later quit. Got landed and restarted fine.

Set the needles and it was indeed rich. Got the low set to where it would accelerate smoothly and checked the high. Seeing about 7,800 an 1/8 turn rich from peak.

Went to idle back down and it quit. No compression on trying to restart.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Since I "retired" to write my books, I've had less time to fly than I did before. I keep saying, "I'll just grab one day during this week and sneak off to the field." Then it's Friday, and my list is as long as it was on Monday. So. . . Saturdays, off to the field. IF my lovely wife doesn't grab me for a project. Big change, eh? LOL

I'm glad to hear it's going as planned for somebody! That gives me hope.

I am enjoying it, though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

~ Jim ~[8D]
I keep pretty busy since I retired; I usually attend two meetings a week to help jobless people network and am helping several peopleevery month with their resumes.

Mostjobless people give up so much of their life when they are out of work that it actually helps them to get out and do something fun once in a while. I cantake a person out flying, or bowling, or shooting,and it gives them a little break from the stress of job hunting. Usually they are able to pick up their mood a littleand get back in the game with a renewed sprit. Especially if they beat me at bowling or shooting.

I just checked the weight on my Giant Super Sportster and it crunched the scales at 16 lbs, 3oz, dry. Oink, oink!I was shocked.No wonder I have lost my unlimited vertical performance. I thought my engine was wearing out, glad to know it's okay. With all the mods, several repairs to the LG, and a lot of epoxy; it seems like it put on a couple of pounds over the last two years.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Joystick TX

Dick, It is great that you are taking sound meter measurements on your plane. I'm not sure your measurements will be meaningful to anyone else if you take them at 25 feet.

The AMA has a procedure listed here that would give more meaningful results: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/927.pdf

Even if you follow the AMA recommendations, there will be some differences. The term "soft" surfacehas a broad range of hardness and can give a variety of different readings for the same engine. The grass height can alsoaffect the readings and so can the soil condition, wet or dry, etc.

At least the distance and the way the measurement is made will be the same, so the results can be used for comparison with other engines.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 AM
pettit

OK, I'll use the 20 foot measurement, but I'm sure it used to be 25 feet. Maybe that was the IMAA measurement..
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a cowled engine, it is really difficult to hold the choke and flip the prop. I put a cotrol rod with a "U" bend in the end ot it on the choke plate and ran it down to the bottom of the cowl. I melted some lead (about a pound) into a 1 X 2 inch block with a control rod stuck in the middle of it. I put a little "U" bend in the end of it as well. When I get ready to choke the engine, I just hang the "automatic choke" on the control rod. I own 3 of these engines and that's how I do it on all of them. Works like a charm.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM
pettit

I like the sound of a right angle bend or a wheel collar that goes through a slot in a bracket. Pull the rod, slide it through the slot and it holds until you push it the other way.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I maidened my GP Giant Super Sportster last night. What a great plane and engine combination. I put 4 flights on it and each one was better than before. I love my Syssa engines and this combination may be the very best one of all. I had one on a Hangar 9 Taylorcraft and that was a sweet deal. Transmitter failure ended that. Total destruction including the engine. I boxed up the pieces and sent it to Todd. 2 weeks later and $117 and I had my engine back in like new condition. Can't ask for better service that that.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

pettit,

Your going to love the Rascal 110/SYSSA 30cc combo. I'm running the VESS 18.5 X 5.5 prop and this engine is gaining power with every run. It will hover my Rascal with about three clicks of throttle remaining. My choke is setup with a rod running straight down the firewall incased in a piece of plactic so it won't wonder all of the place. I just pull the choke rod down with my left hand and rock the prop about 15 times with my right hand and it's done. Can't wait to see your review. Our big Rascal 110/Bigbird fly-in is coming up on the 25th and 26th of this month. I have counted 20 Rascal's that are coming so far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83004.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1792597  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I saw the Syssa for sale here in RCU, the Syssa Summer Sale Special, with Free shipping and a free IBEC at a low $399.00 price.

Thought about it while I was out this morning, and remembered some people saying they couldn't get one when they wanted it. Got home, called Todd, and went onto RCU and bought one. Todd called me back by the time I finished making my offer (at his price) on RCU, and five minutes later, the transaction was completed. Easy Peasy. I couldn't resist it!

Todd said it'll probably be on its way in a few days; though there was no hurry, since I haven't even ordered the plane yet (RC Guys Super Decathlon).

So, for those who have read that stuff, it's not the way it is. Pick up a phone, call Todd, and you'll have your engine on its way in no time.

Now, all I have to do is sell all that stuff I put up for sale in the Buy and Sell section!

~ Jim ~
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 AM
AJsToyz

Hey Jim!

I think he three of them at that price with the free IBEC and free shipping, and you might have bought the the last one! that's unless he decides to put a couple more on sale.

I ordered an IBEC for 37.00 on sale with free shipping, same thing, almost instant response from Todd. Sounds like he's pretty busy, and still planning on other engine sizes. I just hope he gets them out there and they sell good.

He's a good person, best wished to him always!

I see your parting with the Corby? That's actually a little surprising, I know you like that one.

Andy
Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 AM
AJsToyz

Double post!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hey, Andy, good to hear from you!

Yeah, it's a tough call on selling the Corby, to be sure. I really love that little bird; I have since the day I saw the box on the shelf. It's got a Gee Bee sort of curb appeal, and the guys loved it, called it CUTE. But hey, it really is. I only finished it up recently, and took it to the field a few times. It really is as good looking as the model on the box. How many times does THAT happen? And the flight characteristics are amazing. Turns out, this plane on high rates just blows you away. Low rates, it floats down the field. Doesn't want to stop flying! lands on its mains EVERY time, like a dream.

So I can see why you'd wonder.

I've been hankering for an RC Guys Decathlon, and I wanted to power it with yet another Syssa. Just bought it yesterday, but you know that. Then I realized that I have these beautiful glow birds that are about to be pushed to the back burner as I fill my hangar with gassers. I already have two powered with the Syssas, this will be three.

You know how fussy I am about my glow birds. I can't bear to see them gathering dust.

I'm transitioning to gassers, and I won't be flying glow by next year. So, I decided to put out a garage sale ad, and some lucky guy or gal will get a ton of stuff, and three perfect or near-perfect glow birds.

The ad: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...322&electric=0

That'll clear out the space I'll need for the Decathlon, and provide me with some funds for my RC Guys Decathlon project as well.

It's probably 20 cents on the dollar, but my favorite glow birds will find a good new home and keep flying, and I'll get some scratch for this project. I think that's a win-win, don't you?

Yes, I had no problem ordering this Syssa engine. Todd was very responsive. I hadn't considered using the IBEC before this, until Todd discussed the advantages of being able to shut the plane down from the transmitter, and how it's done. The old school kid learned something new yesterday. That's a big bonus in the deal.

Dick, I think you'll love this engine. Looking forward to your review of it. It's a keeper.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Joystick TX

Jim, you got a great deal. I almost did that same thing, problem is, my new plane is several months, or years at the rate I'm building now, away from needing an engine. I blew my spare cash on an LC9 which I really need right now.

You will love the IBEC. I still use two batteries, along with two switches, to power my receiver just to give me peace of mind because I like redundancy. Leftover from my days as an aircraft systems engineer I guess.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD

Well, I thought I had my engine running well, but I think I'm going to have to send it back in again.

Fired up the Rascal yesterday, actually got it to start by hand. I had put a new plug in it, and it looked like it had been running rich.

Flew it, it burbled a bit on transition which it hasnt done befor and later quit. Got landed and restarted fine.

Set the needles and it was indeed rich. Got the low set to where it would accelerate smoothly and checked the high. Seeing about 7,800 an 1/8 turn rich from peak.

Went to idle back down and it quit. No compression on trying to restart.
JeffinTD,

Before you ship it back to Todd, I'd try a new plug first. These NGKs used to be the best for my motorcycles when I was young, but I haven't been that impressed with them in this size. I'm giving serious thought to going with the Champion equivalents. They're about twice the price - $8.99 - but I think they might be worth checking out. What you're describing here is exactly what happened to me recently. Some of these NGKs fail within minutes. I've had two of them do this.

Worst case, you end up with an extra spare plug.

~ Jim ~
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Joystick TX

Is the plug responsible for the loss of compression?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hard to imagine it being anything else,with a one-piece cylinder. Maybe the rings transitioning because they're new (?). If it's the piston, you'll be able to see an extra hole through the plug hole. That would be the first one I know of.

I'm still putting my money on the plug (Old and stubborn..). lol Mine got real easy to turn over the other day. It was the plug. The engine was new, and I hadn't run it much. New plug, and it started, and tuned up for me.

~ Jim ~
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Joystick TX

I think you're right, the plug is a good item to try first.

I only had one NKG plug go bad in four years and never saw one cause a compression problem on the gas engines, so I guess I dodged the bullet on that one. I usually have the ring go bad. Had one broken and one stuck ring on my FPE 1.2 engine. I think those problemswere due to lean runs and/or not enough cooling.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM
JeffinTD

I didn't think the plug would cause loss of compression, but I was thinking of pulling it anyway to see what it looks like. I have several plugs, so there'd be nothing to loose to try it.

It is like 104 out right now, and I can't imagine what it is in my trailer, but I think I'll go play with it.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Let us know what you find. I'm always interested, since some pretty unexpected answers can come back at times.

I'm heading up to a neighboring field tomorrow, a friend's buddy is having fits with his new gasser. I promised I'd go and have a look-see.

Hehehe - I'm betting it's the spark plug. Shades of my old snowmobiling days. . .

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
JeffinTD

Well, I cranked it over for a while and the compression seemed to come back. Couldn't get it to pop and didn't seem to draw fuel.

I pulled the plug, and it looked good- nice color. I spun it with an electric starter with the plug out and choke on and it pulled fuel.

Eventually got it to sputter repeatedly. It would starve out and not pop until choked again.

Opened up the low needle and got it running. Doesn't seem to respond normally to mixture changes as it should.

I'm familiar with gas two strokes, but pretty new to gas airplanes.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect high speed check valve, but I think I'll have an experienced gas rc guy try tuning it.

Puzzled that it now has good strong compression... Holistic engine healing crystals?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Okay. Nothing above indicated that you changed out the spark plug. Did you change it out or just go by the color?

If you went by the color, change it out. If it still had spark, remember that mine did too. Right up until it was back inside under pressure, then ziiip - nada, no sparko.

The easiest way to see if these plugs are bad is just to put a new one in and try it. You should've seen how the guys in here jumped on me when I kept saying the color was good and that it had spark. So, after a week of being stubborn, I changed it out. It started right up. I said I'd never forget that. So, last week, when I was all ready to go ahead and forget it anyway, and was getting all ready to over-think it yet again, somebody said, "Did you change out the plug and try it?" Duh. I changed it. Started right up. You'd think I'd learn.

If anybody needs anything over-thunk, just call me. No, really. I can ignore almost anything simple and important if I really put my mind to it. You can count on me.

~ Jim ~[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.