Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ask Joe. The cylinder head might have been a case where the machined version wasn't as strong/good as the cast one ended up being. I KNOW the piston is new, and that it's CNC machined...probby stuff w/the liner, too. Toss in a new carb & the new(ish) muffler, and it looks to be hard to say it's NOT a true v2.

Hey, I was angrier (on this board) & more sarcastic than you ever were over the last year. And I'm not saying anyone should rush in their orders for new engines right away either (at least to Syssa, directly). But up until April, Todd DID answer the phone now & then, and I was indeed offered a v1 engine, but chose to wait it out. His mistake was letting it slip that the v2 was coming out WELL before it was ready to ship...but we both knew going in that the delivery date was never spelled out, and it WAS pretty well known that Todd a) didn't ever offer refunds, and b) wasn't the best at customer service/communication; people would send their motors in for repairs & they'd just show up on their doorsteps, fixed, without any shipping notice or stuff. Still, the last 5 months without ANY word was indeed infuriating.

Syssa's been around for a while now, and he seems to do pretty well with repairs & part orders (unless you're in Australia, I guess), So now that we know there's a guy who cannot hide from us & who can help with pre & post sales questions (i.e., "If I order a v2, will it ship within 2 weeks?")...I'll change my "do not buy" warning to a qualified recommendation of "give the little/American guy a shot...as long as you reach out to Joe first!".

BTW, I now recall how/why I finally got their attention...and probby why I got my engine first. Even though I always cc'ed Todd's wife (and every contact on the Syssa 'contacts' page) when I sent my pleas for help, I ended up googling her name, along with 'Connecticut', and found where she works full-time & her work email address. I then sent a VERY polite, note asking for help.

THAT must have done the trick...I stalked her into helping me, and I got mine before you simply out of fear!!

Last edited by Deandome; 09-24-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I don't blame you for trying to support the company, hoping they'll be around when you need them. I still have one Syssa mounted on my GSS, so I should probably hope for the same thing. I don't really have a choice, though, do I?
That being said, I can't in good conscience mount this second one on a new bird. Whatever their reasons were for ceasing communications with me, from that point forward they were placed in the "sinking ship" category by me, a category which, by the way, NO R/C company has ever recovered from once I placed them there. To the last one, they went out of business or faded into obscurity. So, when I say "No confidence," I'm giving them no wiggle room. In my estimation, their actions are clear indicators of a company that's struggling. Could we be fortunate enough that they're only struggling with organization, and that the money-flow isn't a real issue? We should hope so.

It was over a year ago that Todd told me the V-2 would be out in another week, maybe two. I'd say that qualifies as WELL before it was ready, all right.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Deandome

I think it's been verified by several trustworthy sources...people that know Todd (including the one who posted those factory pics last year)...that the production issues are/were 100% related to Todd being TOO busy, not struggling for work. Problem is, though, that the work he's been buried with is all DoD orders & other non-RC stuff. So I actually have no worries about the solvency/longevity of the company at this point,

As for the horrible customer-service issues, that's another thing. But I/you don't have to deal with that, as Joe TOLD me to contact him for questions/issues.

I, like you, got a good 'bundle-price' (engine, inserts, IBE/kill switch, prop-drilling guide, machined ignition-strap, prop,...all for about the price of an OS 33!!), and this is my first gas engine, so my demands/expectations aren't as high as yours. I'm not as 'hardcore' as you, Jim, and my flying season in Chicago is a lot shorter than yours. I'll probby fly this engine 15 times a year, if I'm lucky, so if it lasts a few years, I'll be happy.

BTW, I don't have a chicken stick; if the Syssa one you got makes you angry every time you look at it, I'll take if off your hands for a reasonable price!

Last edited by Deandome; 09-24-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Deandome

On a separate, non purchase-related topic,

How does one actually use the prop adapter? Not the hole-drilling part itself...I get that. But neither the engine nor the adapter came with the four bolts you need to use the holes you just drilled...and I don't see them on the website, either.

Putting aside the debate of whether or not you actually NEED a 4-bolt hub with a 30cc engine, what have Syssa owners been doing re. the bolts? If you buy your own, what size to you get? do you use small washers, too?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

My engines seem to last a long time, even flying here in TX, and now the demands upon my time as an author are reducing my flying time. Plus, I have plans to move north again in the near future. Longevity of an engine is always important, wherever we are, but it's not really the point here.

I take excellent care of my stuff, and rarely have a need to send engines in, but I like to know that I can do that when I need to. I'm no longer hard-core. I have two planes; one glow, one gas, and a pending project. I try to approach anything I do with care, however.

I'm ticked off that I waited a year for an engine that was coming out in the next week or two.

I'm ticked off that I cancelled my order in April or May, and they refused to acknowledge it. I'm ticked off that they refused to refund me or even acknowledge my communications, even when a full year had passed, and it was clearly their own fault. I should have been refunded. It should have been done upon request, and with a smile.

I'm the customer. I've been lied to, and treated with complete and utter disregard. That ticks me off. Why would I want to install a new Syssa engine after all of that?

Believe me, DoD vendors go under all the time. Overcommitment with insufficient infrastructure is a bad combination.

Jim
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Jim, have you read about the 40cc VV twin? It's getting some pretty good reviews, AND, should have pretty good support available? Unlike some...... nah, biting my tongue with the thought 'if you can't say anything nice.....
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I gave it some thought, Al. What kind of power do you think it'll put out? My criteria with the RC Guys Decathlon was that the 30CC would be ample power, but the RC Guys Decathlon is technically a 50CC bird, which means I definitely don't have the ability to move in a downward direction with power. I was hoping to stay lighter rather than heavier, so it's tempting. Of course, I could just opt for a single 50CC of some sort.

Wow, I just took a closer look. It swings a 20 X 8 @ 7000, according to the specs. I think the 30CC swings an 18 X 6, so there's a little more power, which is nice. It's just 4 ounces more, too. But here's my favorite part: Out of Stock. Welcome to my 2013. . .

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 09-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Originally Posted by TexasSkyPilot
I gave it some thought, Al. What kind of power do you think it'll put out? My criteria with the RC Guys Decathlon was that the 30CC would be ample power, but the RC Guys Decathlon is technically a 50CC bird, which means I definitely don't have the ability to move in a downward direction with power. I was hoping to stay lighter rather than heavier, so it's tempting. Of course, I could just opt for a single 50CC of some sort.

Wow, I just took a closer look. It swings a 20 X 8 @ 7000, according to the specs. I think the 30CC swings an 18 X 6, so there's a little more power, which is nice. It's just 4 ounces more, too. But here's my favorite part: Out of Stock. Welcome to my 2013. . .
I just bought the DLE 35RA for my rcguys decathlon and it should swing a 19x8 prop at 7700 no problem and a 19x10 at 7400rpm. The 35cc is lighter than a 50cc and swings props like a 40cc.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 AM
ahicks

I've only seen one of the RC Guys Decathlons m first hand, and it was using a DLE 30. Seemed to do a pretty good job re: aerobatics, but if you were looking for more 3D, you'd want a 50 for sure I'd think?

From what I've read, it sounds like the 40cc VV is like a 30 on steroids, but not a substitute for a 50?

20" prop vs. a 22"?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 AM
blhollo2

I wouldn't put a 50cc on the decathalon it will shake it to death like my 1st Rc guys decathalon that had a Evolution 40cc..it flew very heavy and it Doesnt need 50cc, it's not a 3d plane and the airframe and firewall would need beefing up..Dan with Rc guys said its not rated for anything over 40cc and didn't recommend it.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Bhollo,

The DLE 35RA is a single, right? I'm shopping twins here. Besides I already have a Syssa 30CC V2 sitting right here, if I wanted that. By the way, you guys can find it in the For Sale section, I just posted it up there. Opened once to see what it was, and again to list the items in the box. It DOES have the muffler inserts.

Al - LOL - you LOVE pushing my buttons, don't you? lol - You know I hate 3D.

I knew after talking with the RC Guys that the Decathlon shouldn't have any problems at all with the Syssa, and when I first put the project together, it was to see what the marriage of the two would do. But that was a year ago, and I think the idea was to marry the Decathlon with a readily available engine, a requirement which clearly removes the Syssa from the running, in my mind, at least. But still, the Syssa should have been fine swinging an 18" prop, and the VV40 twin swings a 20" prop and weighs 4 ounces more, so I think we're right on the money for average power for most aerobatics and sport flying.

Bhollo, I think that this 40 twin should be about as shake-free as we can get with a 2-stroke gasser, don't you think?

Now, if I can just do something about the "Out of Stock" thing, we'll be cruising. It says they should start shipping as of 10-1-13 again, so I don't see that as a problem. I am, however, waiting for them to mail me with the in-stock notice.

I was able to stop the Hobby King order on the 53CC twin. I think. I hope this doesn't end up being Jim's spare engine collection.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
ahicks

>>

LOL....
You just haven't flown the right plane(s) yet....
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM
blhollo2

yeah twin engines are noticeably unshakey
Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

TexasSkyPilot,

This is how I got mine: This message is from VVRC "Sorry we out of stock on the 40cc twin engine. They sell as fast as we get them in so if you want one give us a call and pre-order it and you can get one from the next shipment."

Last edited by Scooterpilot; 09-24-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I'm really glad to hear that some of the new engines are starting to ship. I, too had put Syssa in the sinking ship category and quit even trying to communicate with them. Back in August, I sent a crash damaged engine in for repair without any emails or other attempts at communication. The only thing I did was put a note in the box asking them to fix it and send me the bill. Oh, and I also sent a Bowman Ring and asked them to install it while they had it apart. I think that was on a Tuesday. On Friday of the same week I got an email from Todd stating that he had repaired it, that it was going on the test stand and would be ready to ship back to me on Monday. I got it on Friday of the next week. 11 days including the weekend, from my door to his and back. And it runs perfectly. I own 4 of these engines and I absolutely love being able to start it on the first flip (on the second run, after it's warmed up). I just wish they could figure out the organization and customer service aspect of running a business. The ONLY reason I started using these engines, is because I hate selling our country down the drain to the dang Chinese. BUT, poor business practices by American companies is exactly what caused it in the first place - politics notwithstanding.

Getting off my socio-eco-politico soap box, I really hope that Todd hangs in there long enough to make it work. He has a great engine, the price isn't a bargain, but then quality isn't cheap. He told me last year that he was working on a 60 twin. I'll be first in line for that one (if it comes to be in my lifetime!!!)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM
bub8golf

Good looking engine! How much is it 600.00 maybe! Just asking..........
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yeah, And I just sold it and a hundred dollars worth of accessories - all NIB - for $360 bucks to the first guy who made a decent offer. Before the deal was done, the VV40 Twin gasser was already on its way to me.

I spent fifteen minutes peeling the Syssa sticker off my other plane yesterday. I'm not advertising for them anymore. If I could pull the videos off YouTube without a major hassle, I would.

I said I didn't want it. I meant it. I wanted a refund. This'll do just fine.

Jim
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
tele1974

I got the new muffler mounted up. The polished aluminum stingers added some nice bling to my ol bird. I'm interested to see what it sounds like. I am using the TBM attenuators. They knock about 200 rpms off the top but it still hauls the mail. I still wish someone would design a "real" light weight muffler for RC use in a Pitts. Just for fun I mounted the muffler from my weed Wacker on my V1 DLE30. It worked great but of course it was too heavy for our use. That was the DLE that died every time you tilted it . The Syssa replaced that one. Hard to believe that was 3 years ago already.

Last edited by tele1974; 09-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Fedex just sent me a mail - my package is on its way!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:16 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Thanks, tele! Good thread.

Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
KurtS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having a similar issue, my Syssa quitting after about five minutes, but only at mid power settings. Five flights on my new airplane so far, four of them ending in dead stick landings. The only powered landing was after a fifteen minute flight at 3/4 to full throttle. But it quits after about five minutes if I fly at 1/2 throttle.

On the ground it runs great, very smooth, nice transition from idle to full throttle. I've tried a richer low speed setting and all that does is make it gurgle and run worse, doesn't change the quitting issue.

It is in a scratch built Howard Pete and uses a custom Slimline muffler. I'm using the IBEC I got from Todd.

If it was getting too hot, wouldn't that be worse at higher power settings?

I've removed the tank and checked all the plumbing, everything good there.

I've changed the plug to a new NGK and played with gaps. No change.

I've only run 3/4 of a gallon through the engine so it is still quite new.

The engine just came back from Syssa and they said it ran great. I agree, now if I could only keep it running.

I don't know what else to try, so any ideas will be appreciated!

Kurt

Originally Posted by pettit
Last time I flew my Rascal 110 with a new version Syssa 30cc (V2 I believe) it started easily, ran well on the ground and flew the plane fine for the first 5 minutes in the air. Air temperature at the field was around 75 degrees.

Then it started to bog down at mid to high throttle and then it died. On the ground after a long dead stick landing, the engine was still quite warm. I pulled the cowl off and started the engine easily again. I tried to richen the high needle but it would not get richer at all.

Back home I pulled the carb and opened it up, looking for trash in the screen. There was a small amount of slime but no more than 10% of the screen surface covered. Some carb cleaner fixed that. Back together, the engine still would not richen up much.

Yes, the fuel tank lines are solid, and no bubbles in the feed line.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1932288   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	510.2 KB
ID:	1932289  
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Kurt -
It's a pain to remove the lower mount stem, but taking the carb off and checking the screens inside for gunk is always a good idea when things aren't making sense. It's good that you changed the spark plug, but you might want to try another in there - just in case. That's easier than pulling the carb apart.

And the quitting after 5 minutes might be a clue. Make double-and-triple sure that you aren't feeding from your vent line. Pretty unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Follow the setting instructions in the manual carefully. They work well for getting it in the zone, where it should stay running.

Inspect the spark wire and plug cap for any breaks in the boot.

That's all I have for immediate suggestions.

Jim
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM
KurtS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim,

I've got the airplane all pulled apart to repair some minor damage caused during the last dead stick yesterday. I spoke with Todd this morning and I have three things to try.

First is that I drilled a 1" hole in the firewall, directly behind the carb. This opens it up to breath air from farther back in the fuselage and not just air that is coming through the cowling intake. I also widened the cowling inside to allow more airflow to pass through. Don't know if either of those will work, but it wasn't hard to do and I'm willing to try anything at this point.

The third thing would be to put a line on the carb diaphragm cover vent hole and run that line inside the fuselage. These three things should allow it to breathe better, cool better, and open it up in case there was an air pressure or flow issue inside the cowling when the airplane was flying at a higher angle of attack. Since it only quit at half throttle and slower airspeeds, the relative wind to the cowl would be at a greater angle and..... well who knows. It's worth a shot.

But on the ground it runs like a dream. Easy to start, idles smoothly, nice transition to full throttle, even after a LONG idle. It is adjusted on the high end as the manual suggests, lean for max rpm then back the needle off 1/8 turn. It's only in the air at slower airspeeds and part throttle that it refuses to stay running. Maybe these tweaks I made today will be the cure.

Anyone know the part number for the Walbro diaphragm cover that has the hose barb already on it, or if there even is one?

Kurt

Last edited by KurtS; 10-23-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Jim Henley

Kurt, I found that venting the carb cover to the interior of the fuse helped my issue, however out of curiosity, are you running a NIMH battery? I found that NIMH battery would not support the receiver and IBCE. I had to go back to separate ignition battery to keep the plane running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.