Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AV8TOR - I know how to rebuild engines, I just don't want to.

I worked on a lot of the Syssa's before he stopped supporting the engines. I even gave Todd the fix for his early muffler problem. Todd did not know the meaning of "configuration control." Some of the major parts, like the reed assembly, were NOT interchangeable from engine to engine. That made working on them a major pain in the butt.

The only reason I'd like to have new bearings in the other Syssa is so I have a cheap (I already have it) backup engine to use if the first one fails. I've been through four of them already. That was early in the design phase and Todd told me to run the engines to destruction, which I did. I was getting about 250 hours on an engine before it failed. They were beyond economical repair when the bearings failed, but they were all under warranty so Todd replaced them at no charge. The engines are way out of warranty now and the bearing are just a little rough on one engine, still the repair cost may be more than a new DLE, I don't know if there is any FOD.

My goal is to eventually replace it with a DLE-35ra because that engine is so much better. Right now, I don't want to go through the hassle of going from a 3 bolt mount to 4 bolt on the bipe. I didn't make access to the back of the engine easy on this plane due the type of construction I used. My policy is that if the engine died in flight, I would replace it with a DLE.

Here is the RCU link to the Lazy Ace build. The plans I used were just the ones showing the outline of the plane because the construction method I used is so different from the original. I don't have plans. Chuck and I used to fly at the Thunderbird field. I didn't build one early because everyone here had one, or two. Now I haven't seen one for several years.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...coroplast.html
Old 11-02-2017, 02:20 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link. I sure enjoyed reading Chucks articles. Ahhh, the good old days when we had "real" magazines with substantive engine reviews, building articles, flight reports on cool airplanes. I cancelled all my subscriptions to the magazines that are left because all they have is dam Electric coverage and "pop 'em out by the thousands" foam airplanes now.

A park flyer can be fun and has its place, but I'm sorry; for me real airplanes burn dead dinosaurs and make noise!!

AV8TOR
Old 11-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Joystick TX

The sad part is that a lot of people in this hobby miss out on the big learning curve related to thrust, lift, drag, and basic aeronautical engineering because they just fly ARF's, or RTF planes.

When you build from scratch, or do a major kit bash, the real learning begins. If you can use the engineering spreadsheets and plug in some numbers it saves a lot of crashes due to trial and error. You don't need a math degree to use a lot of the programs we have available now.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:41 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, though the basic math calcs for designing/building from scratch aren't all that tough. Ha - many years ago one of the magazines had an airplane design contest, so I decided to design an .049 R/C trainer that would actually fly well, unlike the heavy foam .049 airplanes of the time. This was before all the micro/mini servos and other lightweight gear we have now. I was quite proud of my design, and it flight tested very well, even at a density altitude of 8000 feet!

When the design results came out in the mag, I was shocked! Virtually every entry except mine was a scale model; NOT an original design. I thought "Hey, that's not designing anything!! That is just scaling an EXISTING design!" Oh well....

AV8TOR
Old 11-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Joystick TX

Got four more flights on the biplane with the Syssa engine. Had three dead stick landings. I tried adjusting the carb, cleaned the screen, checked the plug, checked the battery, checked the fuel lines and tank. I could find no reason for the dead sticks. The engine seems to die at anyplace in the flight envelope, takeoff at WOT, cruising around at half throttle and during landing.

The carb on this engine has given me fits since the engine was repaired. It was not the carb that was on the engine that I sent in when the bearings failed. This was a used carb from someone else's engine. I know that because the arm that holds the screw with the spring on it that we all remove had been sawed or broken off and was filed down smooth. Also, I take pictures of the engines I send in for repair. My carb had the arm on it.

Like I said in a previous post "My policy is that if the engine died in flight, I would replace it with a DLE."The Syssa is going to come off the plane this weekend. I just bought a new DLE-35ra to replace it.

I added a little more trim to spruce up the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lazy Ace Plane sml.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2243435  
Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM
FlymoreRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went looking for Todd's web site and was diappointed to see that it is no more.

i was looking to get a set of standoffs for a 158mm firewall to thrust bushing (60mm standoff).

Anyone out there have a set of 3 for sale, etc., or know of a suggestion to help me find some? I have a set of 66mm, but reluctant tomcut them down.

I have 2 of Syssa's engines, and so far they have held up very well. Need stand offs for a new project and repurpose one of these engines.

Michael
Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by FlymoreRC
I went looking for Todd's web site and was diappointed to see that it is no more.

i was looking to get a set of standoffs for a 158mm firewall to thrust bushing (60mm standoff).

Anyone out there have a set of 3 for sale, etc., or know of a suggestion to help me find some? I have a set of 66mm, but reluctant tomcut them down.

I have 2 of Syssa's engines, and so far they have held up very well. Need stand offs for a new project and repurpose one of these engines.

Michael
I have a set of the 60 mm standoffs that you can have.
I have two Syssa engines that I won't put on any aircraft. One of them needs new bearings. I switched out the Syssas and put in DLE 35s.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:38 AM
FlymoreRC

Steve,
super.
will send PM.
Michael
Old 04-16-2020, 02:14 PM
mmjoel

Question Syssa gas 30

Anyone know if the Syssa 30 gas engine is still being made? Are any parts available. I bought a Syssa at an auction brand new and the price was right. So I am putting on my Mentor T-34.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:26 PM
FlymoreRC

I sent you a private message.

Syssa is an awesome engine. just don't over heat it. I have two and they are strong engines with quick acceleration.

Michael
Old 04-16-2020, 02:29 PM
erieqc

They no make them and they don’t supply parts either. Someone else was doing small parts but I can’t remember who it was.
Originally Posted by mmjoel
Anyone know if the Syssa 30 gas engine is still being made? Are any parts available. I bought a Syssa at an auction brand new and the price was right. So I am putting on my Mentor T-34.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by erieqc
They no make them and they don’t supply parts either. Someone else was doing small parts but I can’t remember who it was.
Red Rider was doing some repairs, but I haven't heard from him for quite a while. I don't think he could get parts either.

I have two of them that I'm not using. One needs the bearings replaced, they are availble from Boca Bearings. The ignitions are good. If you want, you can make me an offer.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Gungadin

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FlymoreRC
I sent you a private message.

Syssa is an awesome engine. just don't over heat it. I have two and they are strong engines with quick acceleration.

Michael
I have a Syssa and new prop & a carbon pipe for sale. Engine only run once on a test stand for 5 min. and never flown. Anyone interested let me know.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:39 AM
Joystick TX

Here is my Syssa stash.