Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
MsgtRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

18x8 would not have caused the key to shear. You are correct. No prop size should cause the key to shear.

The only thing that should cause the key to shear would be a hard prop strike. I say hard as I have had a few during testing that broke props and the key never sheared.

We will find out what it is.

There are only a few things that you should have to do with your engine. Set the needles for your air density is one. Fly it is the second.
haha..I like those two things, especially the fly one.
all I can say is I had NO prop strikes. The giant big stik lands like a pillow! I still have the prop. It's perfect.
The post office is closed today, will ship it tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Well, I guess it's time I posted here. I had another incognito thread running on my SAP problem until I emailed MsgtRob and found we both had the exact same problem - a spun hub. And thanks for the holiday because now I've lost another day without my engine that is going back. Todd is trying to be very helpful. I hope he can figure this hub problem out qucikly. As to how I think mine happened see below quote. And by the way, I have not had a prop strike. I'm flying the engine (or at least I was) on the very same Vess 18x6 I started with. My suggestion to anyone having a problem is to forget the 500 tips on things to check and just pull the plug, put the engine at TDC, and see where the hub magnet is located.

The last flight of the day the engine was running I had a dead stick landing. The next day God himself couldn't get the engine to start. The plane was a ways out so couldn't tell a lot, but the engine poped, threw the tru-turn prop hub and died instantly! And yes I was using a double lock nut. After what I read from Rob M I went out and checked the crank hub last night; it must have sheared the pin in flight and that is what killed the engine instantly, because the magnet is 180 degrees out of sink with TDC and the pickup.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
fuzzy
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

detonation would be my guess. You can hear it if you know what to listen for. Retard the timing, use higher octane fuel, or lighten the load with a smaller prop. Nice engine. I need one.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you DO!!

I did, so YOU must.......[8D]
Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
MsgtRob

[quote]ORIGINAL: splais

Well, I guess it's time I posted here. I had another incognito thread running on my SAP problem until I emailed MsgtRob and found we both had the exact same problem - a spun hub. And thanks for the holiday because now I've lost another day without my engine that is going back. Todd is trying to be very helpful. I hope he can figure this hub problem out qucikly. As to how I think mine happened see below quote. And by the way, I have not had a prop strike. I'm flying the engine (or at least I was) on the very same Vess 18x6 I started with. My suggestion to anyone having a problem is to forget the 500 tips on things to check and just pull the plug, put the engine at TDC, and see where the hub magnet is located.

The last flight of the day the engine was running I had a dead stick landing. The next day God himself couldn't get the engine to start. The plane was a ways out so couldn't tell a lot, but the engine poped, threw the tru-turn prop hub and died instantly! And yes I was using a double lock nut. After what I read from Rob M I went out and checked the crank hub last night; it must have sheared the pin in flight and that is what killed the engine instantly, because the magnet is 180 degrees out of sink with TDC and the pickup.

Well done, thanks Splais!
It seems their's a material weekness, design flaw, or overly optimistic prop load. Mine broke loose on the ground, his mid airYikes! Either way, Todd has asked that we ship the motors back and I'll accomodate. He's been very responsive, so thank's Todd. Let's get this worked out and find a way forward.

It really is an impressive motor when it's running. Let's see what the fix is. BTW, I was using 89 Octane Chevron (with Techron)

R

Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
kochj

forget it
Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
kochj

I had a leaf blower shift it's timming sensor.
I had a hard start, due to some minor flooding..
When the engine finally started, IT never developed full power....I thought it was a carb issue

...Here is how it happens..... Quite easilly..

You flood the engine. (gas sitts ontop the cyl head) Mine was caused by leaving the leaf blower inverted and fuel ran into the cyl...
Attempt to start the engine...(flip the prop)
Sheer the cotter pin
Attemp to start engine again, and the engine backfires (off timming)
THe engine now runs either addvanced or retarted....
Or worse....

not saying that was THIS case, but it can happen......
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Rob,

It's plausible the problem (broken crank/hub key) is simply related to needle settings and the results thereof; pinging-detonation-knocking. Your video depicts erratic engine operation IMO, possibly you were a might lean on the needle(s). The engine is very crisp indicating same, again IMO and remeber the engine can and will run lean at partial throttle settings not just WOT. And it matters little how cool the engine runs on the ground, as the prop advancing or screwing through the air is a whole other consideration.

What is or was your procedure for properly setting the needles?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
mglavin

What fuel is recommended for this engine, I can't locate a manual online or references to "grade" and or "octane" recomendations?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Rob,

It's plausible the problem (broken crank/hub key) is simply related to needle settings and the results thereof; pinging-detonation-knocking. Your video depicts erratic engine operation IMO, possibly you were a might lean on the needle(s). The engine is very crisp indicating same, again IMO and remeber the engine can and will run lean at partial throttle settings not just WOT. And it matters little how cool the engine runs on the ground, as the prop advancing or screwing through the air is a whole other consideration.

What is or was your procedure for properly setting the needles?
The engine was run initially on factory settings (From Todd) for the first run. Im at 2100ft altitude so that equated to a richer setting on initial. That's why the engine ran rough. Ifollowed the procedures in the manual for the first 15minutes. 2 turns out, vary the speed, no max RPM, . Then I adjusted for highest Rpm, backed off. The video is one minute on the initial start, before needles were fine tuned. The oil running from the exhaust pipes also confirmed rich running. The engine ran GREAT, it got better with each flight. I saw 7250 rpm after 3rd flight without any further adjustments.
The SAP 180 is marketed on it's crisp throttle response, I assure you it was not run lean.

Regards
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
mglavin

Rob,

Oil residue or spent hydro-carbons and fuel-oil byproducts of a two-stroke in of itself does not tell us the engine was running lean or not, there are many variables.

Do you info on the recommended fuel?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Another great day here and five more flights on the motor. Tork rolls are between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle. Most of the flights are under 1/2 throttle. Finally, the motor has burned a gallon. It takes a long time as the motor just sips the fuel. I have the timer set for 10 minutes. The timer does not go on until the model is in the air. So, start, warm up, run up, idle, taxi out, turn on timer and then fly until the timer goes off. Do a couple of patterns and then land. I'm just below 1/2 a tank and it's a 12 oz tank.

For starting, I close the choke, rock the blade 5 times, open the choke, turn on the ignition and it fires. Very consistent starting motor. Unlike my DA's 50 where I close the choke, start the engine with the choke on, engine starts then motor dies; then, open the choke and then start the motor. This is one less item on the start up list.

Motor is well worth the cost compared to the overseas motors. Like the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Regards,

Chuck
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Airbear

I,ll be watching I need a motor and I finally get a chance to buy an American product. Count me in.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 PM
mglavin

TSP provided a manual, Thanks.

Manual suggests unleaded 87-89 octane fuel. Rob noted he used 87 octane which is more likely than not the better choice for the thinner air at 2100' ASL.

FWIW:
The resulting forces of an engine that ignites a fuel charge prematurely will try to turn the crankshaft in the reverse direction, stress on rotating components is massive, hence the broken crank/hub key. So Detonation or Pre-ignition can potentially cause and affect the broken crank/hub key phenomenon realized herein.

One might ponder:

Improper ignition timing, fuel-air mixture and/or low octane fuel can cause detonation. That said; rich needle settings, early ignition timing and low octane fuel may lead to pre-ignition resultant behavior. Other factors cause pre-ignition too, however they are unlikely with a new engine me thinks.

Pre-ignition and Detonation are two distinctively different occurrences and one can lead to the other. Again the two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of end-gasses in the chamber and it always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug.

End gasses = remaining fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber after primary combustion occurs

Pre-ignition is the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anything that causes the fuel-air mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the ignition pulse is classified as pre-ignition.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 AM
MsgtRob

Rob,

Oil residue or spent hydro-carbons and fuel-oil byproducts of a two-stroke in of itself does not tell us the engine was running lean or not, there are many variables.

Do you info on the recommended fuel?
No I suppose that alone wouldn't tell us much, but I gave you the rest of the info...two turns out on needles is starting point (From the manual). 2100ft altitude, etc.. The manual has been posted here several times. you can find it in one of my previous posts. The "snappy" throttle response is also discussed in a few posts by other engine owners.

The engine was running fine until it sheared the pin, then the timing went out and it finally through the prop nut.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: Scooterpilot

Another great day here and five more flights on the motor. Tork rolls are between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle. Most of the flights are under 1/2 throttle. Finally, the motor has burned a gallon. It takes a long time as the motor just sips the fuel. I have the timer set for 10 minutes. The timer does not go on until the model is in the air. So, start, warm up, run up, idle, taxi out, turn on timer and then fly until the timer goes off. Do a couple of patterns and then land. I'm just below 1/2 a tank and it's a 12 oz tank.

For starting, I close the choke, rock the blade 5 times, open the choke, turn on the ignition and it fires. Very consistent starting motor. Unlike my DA's 50 where I close the choke, start the engine with the choke on, engine starts then motor dies; then, open the choke and then start the motor. This is one less item on the start up list.

Motor is well worth the cost compared to the overseas motors. Like the old saying, ''You get what you pay for.''

Regards,

Chuck
Hey Chuck
Was that you and the AVTI boys far west end of J today? We were out there with a couple of Extra 300 (DLE55) /P-51 around 1230. What a GREAT day! I'm glad your motor is holding up. Have you had any prop strikes?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Joystick TX

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

MsgtRob,
I stand by my advice to ground the plug on the engine when testing it to see if it has a spark. Not grounding the plug may be okay for your ignition system but not all ignition modules are built the same. This is a general forum, at least as far as ignition modules are concerned, and the advice given should be general in nature and not cause problems for others.

Here is a quote from an ignition module manufacturer: *Make sure the engine has spark. Test the spark plug by removing it and hold it firmly to the engine head (thus grounding it) and turn the propeller to see the spark. NOTE: the plug MUST be grounded or it WILL blow the ignition pickup sensor.

Like my hero said: Do you feel lucky …?

It is not just a matter of will it work; it is a matter of how it was designed to work. The plug may fire without being grounded to the engine, but there also may be degradation of the components, that you aren’t aware of, due to the high voltages developed inside the module. As a designer, I never depended upon an RFI/EMI shield, such as those found on many spark plug wires, to carry return current, I always used a ground wire or structure.

My 2 cents: Sheared keys on two out of about 500 engines this early in the production cycle is significant. Since most of the SAP-180 users have had previous experience with gas engines, I suspect the ball is in Todd’s court.

Hopefully, Todd can find the root-cause of the key shearing problem pretty quickly. It could be as simple as the key material being too soft, or not per the original spec., or the factory timing was not set correctly. Stuff happens. See Murphy.

I know the key can be replaced by some engine owners or they may know someone who can, but right now Todd needs to see the problem to help with the solution. As painful as it will be, if I shear a key, my engine will be sent back for analysis and repair. Murphy stay away from me.

Hope Todd can do a quick turn on your engine!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 AM
MsgtRob

Manual suggests unleaded 87-89 octane fuel. Rob noted he used 87 octane which is more likely than not the better choice for the thinner air at 2100' ASL.

FWIW:
The resulting forces of an engine that ignites a fuel charge prematurely will try to turn the crankshaft in the reverse direction, stress on rotating components is massive, hence the broken crank/hub key. So Detonation or Pre-ignition can potentially cause and affect the broken crank/hub key phenomenon realized herein.

One might ponder:

Improper ignition timing, fuel-air mixture and/or low octane fuel can cause detonation. That said; rich needle settings, early ignition timing and low octane fuel may lead to pre-ignition resultant behavior. Other factors cause pre-ignition too, however they are unlikely with a new engine me thinks.

Pre-ignition and Detonation are two distinctively different occurrences and one can lead to the other. Again the two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of end-gasses in the chamber and it always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug.

End gasses = remaining fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber after primary combustion occurs

Pre-ignition is the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anything that causes the fuel-air mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the ignition pulse is classified as pre-ignition.
Actually, in post #2048 I wrote I used 89 Ocatane bought at Chevron on my way to the field. However it happened, it happened under normal operating conditions. Their is a slight possibility that the hub was under torqued or that the key was not up to Rockwell hardness spec. Or an entirely different set of circumstances yet to be explained. In any case, mine is not the only one. One failed while starting the other mid flight. we'll all have to wait and see.
Cheers
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

MsgtRob,
I stand by my advice to ground the plug on the engine when testing it to see if it has a spark. Not grounding the plug may be okay for your ignition system but not all ignition modules are built the same. This is a general forum, at least as far as ignition modules are concerned, and the advice given should be general in nature and not cause problems for others.

Here is a quote from an ignition module manufacturer: *Make sure the engine has spark. Test the spark plug by removing it and hold it firmly to the engine head (thus grounding it) and turn the propeller to see the spark. NOTE: the plug MUST be grounded or it WILL blow the ignition pickup sensor.

Like my hero said: Do you feel lucky …?

It is not just a matter of will it work; it is a matter of how it was designed to work. The plug may fire without being grounded to the engine, but there also may be degradation of the components, that you aren’t aware of, due to the high voltages developed inside the module. As a designer, I never depended upon an RFI/EMI shield, such as those found on many spark plug wires, to carry return current, I always used a ground wire or structure.

My 2 cents: Sheared keys on two out of about 500 engines this early in the production cycle is significant. Since most of the SAP-180 users have had previous experience with gas engines, I suspect the ball is in Todd’s court.

Hopefully, Todd can find the root-cause of the key shearing problem pretty quickly. It could be as simple as the key material being too soft, or not per the original spec., or the factory timing was not set correctly. Stuff happens. See Murphy.

I know the key can be replaced by some engine owners or they may know someone who can, but right now Todd needs to see the problem to help with the solution. As painful as it will be, if I shear a key, my engine will be sent back for analysis and repair. Murphy stay away from me.

Hope Todd can do a quick turn on your engine!
Ok, noted. I can tell you that the instructions for the RXcell, the ignition used on the SAP180 that were discussing in this forum does not include the "ground it to the block" note. Perhaps they want to sell more ignitions? I don't know why or how I've made you think I'm not sending this motor back to Todd for analysis and repair. That's exactly what Im doing and lord knows Iv'e posted enough about it. Im just glad that I found the issue and can stop chasing my tail on 50 other troubleshooting deadends.
Regards
Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

MsgtRob,

Hey, not even close to a prop strike yet. Funtana has a tall gear and the plane lands like a foamy @ walking speed. I had a friend fly it today and he was amazed because he would let the tork roll slide backwards and wasn't worried about not having enough motor/thrust to recover.

Na, I wasn't at Ave J today. I was at AVTI. You got my number, give me a ring and if you like, you can fly as a guest. Just bring you AMA card.

This week I have Friday, Sat, & Sun as my RDO's. Wx forecast is for rain on Saturday. I'm hoping to get one good day in.

Regards,

Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 AM
MsgtRob

Thanks Chuck,
I just though I'd ask about a prop strike because of the issues My Sap has. I did not strike either. My Giant stick lands ridiculously slow. It's patheticly fun.
The Extra on the other hand...
Thanks for the invite, I may just take you up on that.

R
Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 AM
mglavin

Rob,

Yeap, you did mention 89 octane fuel, my bad! Thin air and slower burning fuel is not a good combination. However in the scheme of things perhaps 2100' ASL is not a huge factor as say 6000' ASL.

Just trying to help solve the mystery for you and now others. The how and why will require a thorough break-down and inspection of the engine and each component. There should be tattle-tells internally if the engine(s) suffered detonation or pre-ignition. I/we can speculate all we want, after all behind the keyboard diagnosis is worth what you pay for it......... Perhaps the lil beasty needs lower octane fuels, or maybe not!

Splais,

What elevation do you play at?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 AM
cmoulder

FWIW:

One might ponder:

Hmm... any idea how a tuned pipe might figure in the equation??

Got about 2/3 gallon 87 octane thru mine w/Pennzoil 40:1 and it is already producing gobs of power. Engine has been run at 80 and 400 ft ASL thus far.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Joystick TX

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

MsgtRob,

I know both of you are sending your engines back; I also know you discussed local repair. Again - the advice is general in nature to encourage others to send in their engines if they have a sheared key problem so the cause and fix can be identified ASAP.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee, I don't think that 2100' of elevation should be an issue, but who knows? I do know that this engine was designed specifically to work perfectly with the regular octane fuels, Todd and I had that discussion a long time ago. However, it doesn't require pre-ignition to make a backfire. The old rule of thumb is that two things cause a backfire, igniton timing and carburetion. One extra turn this way or that way and we have a lean or rich engine, rich engines can backfire pretty easily. I'll go with that theory. But maybe not that by itself.

Joystick TX's suggestion that some hub-key materials may have not been up to hardness grade, that's a real possibility.

Add the two together and it's a plausible scenario. At any rate, good backfire or two can shear a hub-key, it's not unheard of. On something of this stature, the hub-key hardness is fairly critical, as the engine is not a big, beefy monster with a thick, tough crank. To make it light the manufacturer would have to make some concessions, strike a balance if you will by making it lighter. To protect the lighter crankshaft you have to find the right key hardness, one that breaks away before the crank breaks or bends, but also one that will hold right up TO that point....

We talk out here as though we know what's going on, but we probably see the tip of the iceberg. There are probably hundreds of issues Todd has to take into consideration once you include every aspect of the design and production of these engines.

I'm really impressed that so few issues have shown up.

I hear criticisms of this or that aspect of the engine, but I feel those are premature. Everybody knew they were buying a first-release, and that can mean fielding a few issues along the way. But we are the first who got the new Syssa's!

JS TX - I agree, send them in, Todd will want to know if there's a problem, and he'll fix it no matter what. Win-Win.

~ Jim ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.