Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G62 Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default G62 Muffler Question

-I just purchased a G62 for installation in a TBM Zero. I purchased their Pitts muffler marketed specifically for that engine. What I recieved was a muffler designed for "bolt-thru" installation where a socket-head bolt goes thru the muffler and threads into the side of the engine. However, the G62 uses a bolt that is slid into a pocket that the muffler is slid over then captured by a pair of bolts to securely attach. The factory muffler also has an arm to secure it to the engine.

TheTBM muffler is in no way designed to attach to the G62 and, in my opinion constitutes fraud. I will approach them on this issue tomorrw. In the meantime, does anyone know of a pitts muffler, or any type of muffler designed for an inverted installation specifically tailored to the unique, G62 attachment system?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G62 Muffler Question

I use Slimline Pitts Style on my aircraft.Check their website and you will find what you are looking for. Stuka Jon
Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Lifer

in my opinion constitutes fraud.
Wow! that's strong. Lots of mufflers fit BECAUSE of the way the muffler bolts on through a captured square nut. Here's a picture of a DA type header I got from TBM on one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99902.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1221887  
Old 06-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Lifer

Rich,

I agree with you....it's a strong accusation. I recieved NO hardware, and No explanation. Just a muffler I cannot use on the engine it is supposedly designed for. I have a useless item and TBM has about 100 of my dollars.

Are the bolts in the installation in the picture you provided available at a home improvement store? Info would be appreciated, and also, thank you for taking the time to post a reply.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM
tkg

While the G62 is designed to a square nut, you can use a normal nut. Just use a screw driver to keep the nut from turning.
What happened to the Zenoah hardwear, can you use any of it?.
Ya gotta to remember that EVERY G62 is this way and thousands of Pitts mufflers have been sold and bolted on.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:52 PM
soarrich

Are the bolts in the installation in the picture you provided available at a home improvement store? Info would be appreciated, and also, thank you for taking the time to post a reply.
I've heard that guys use 10-24 with square nuts, any hardware store would have them. I think I used 5MM snd jammed the nut like tkg said to do.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original bolts that you can purchase for the G62 only work with the standard muffler.  I just used some 10-24 all thread and used red locktite on the nut that slides into the slots and then used another nut with a lock washer to hold the muffler on.  This way you can make a "stud" for any muffler you choose to use.  Simple and cheap.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Skratchbilt
My Feedback: (6)

Lifer,
These guys have about all you'd want for the G-62. I'm happy with them.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/bb09catalog.pdf
Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
soarrich

Wow! That's a good link.

ORIGINAL: Skratchbilt

Lifer,
These guys have about all you'd want for the G-62. I'm happy with them.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/bb09catalog.pdf
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Lifer

I have since ordered a Slimline pitts for the engine from Chief R/C. I was assured that it came with the proper hardware and is expressly designed for the engine. I conacted TBM and they said I would be refunded after it was returned. I called AMEX and had a stop payment made and will return the item this weekend when I have a day off. The guy from TBM was very reasonable and I believe he was truly suprised when he inspected the engine and the muffler (they had on hand) and realized they were not compatible. Their rep. (Chalkjim) said it as necessary to go to the hardware store and secure the needed hardware. I don't believe that should be required on my part when I purchased an item sold as ready to install.
I have little respect for any retailer that makes representations that are not true and then expects extra effort on my part for their product to become usable as defined by their advertised claims. Credit card companies like AMEX willingly stop payment on such circumstances. I urge everyone to act as such and perhaps these companies will think twice before acting this way in the future.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

I modify the standard Zenoah bolts with the head that fits. Mearly shorten the bolt to the required length and rethread with a metric die from Harbor Freight and use the nuts fron Zenoah. The copper colored one's that swage on. They never come loose. Stuka Jon.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
arobatx

I had the slimline wrap around pitts on my 62 for a bit. The sound was pleasing, the performance was alright, and the weight was noticeable....for about $60

If weight and performance are both considerations for your install, and you find that a trip to the HW store is worth it, you could install a DL50/55 muffler on your G62. Performance will be better, slightly louder, and 1/2 pound lighter than the wrap around pitts from Slimline. 1/2 pound is a LOT of weight, and they are about $35.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
P51THUNDERBALL

i used the original bolts tapped the threads to the existing threads cut to length installed 10\24 lock nuts works great.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

-I just purchased a G62 for installation in a TBM Zero. I purchased their Pitts muffler marketed specifically for that engine. What I recieved was a muffler designed for ''bolt-thru'' installation where a socket-head bolt goes thru the muffler and threads into the side of the engine. However, the G62 uses a bolt that is slid into a pocket that the muffler is slid over then captured by a pair of bolts to securely attach. The factory muffler also has an arm to secure it to the engine.

The TBM muffler is in no way designed to attach to the G62 and, in my opinion constitutes fraud. I will approach them on this issue tomorrw. In the meantime, does anyone know of a pitts muffler, or any type of muffler designed for an inverted installation specifically tailored to the unique, G62 attachment system?
Lifer,

Every large Zenoah I have ever had my hands on had a square nut in the cyliner locations with bolt through the muffler attachment. I think you should do your homework before accusing any manufacturer of fraud. I think you are just in accusing them of having crummy instructions though! They should have explained how to mount their product.