Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Running your carb dry?gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running your carb dry?gas engine

Out of habit, I've always emptied the tank and ran the engine dry on my glow engines then squirting a little after run oil in the crankcase vent tube. Now that I've got 2 gas engines, I've also read that the methanol in today's gas deteriorates the carb rubber parts in the Walbros. Members of my club that have run gas engines for 10 years never empty their tanks or run the gas out of them unless it's the last run before storing them for the winter. I noticed they do have to rebuild the carbs every onece in a while.

Is it advisable to dry run the engines and add after run oil in gas engines after each flying session or is this a waste of time?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Running your carb dry?gas engine

i never run my stuff dry..... seems to me if its dry all stuff will also dry out such as gasets and end up srink and stuff like that
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't run my engines dry either. The alcohol issue is real and will affect the gasket/flapper valves at some time and you will have to replace them. I have been runing my DA50 and G62 for over 3 years now and no problems so far.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Checklst

Hummmmmm my weed wacker is 9 years old and I have never run it dry before winter storage, our winters are short hear in the south though.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the frequency that people are advised to get the diaphragpms wet in their carbs in order for them to run or draw fuel should effectively answer the wet or dry carb question.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Checklst

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I think the frequency that people are advised to get the diaphragpms wet in their carbs in order for them to run or draw fuel should effectively answer the wet or dry carb question.
Amen
Old 10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run the engine dry of the flight fuel and then fill it with Coleman fuel at the desired oil mix and run it untill all elements are saturated with the Coleman fuel mix. This eliminates the alcohol problem and keeps the carb wet with friendly fuel. Also Coleman does not go stale, it stores indefinitely with no degradation. Just do what you think best, though, my Zenoah G23 with EI runs great on the Coleman and Pennzoil at 32:1, so I don't need to switch over to this mix at day/season end.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
FlipSideFlyer
My Feedback: (58)

[font="Verdana"]I always run my engines dry – mostly because the planes are stored in our family living room and nobody (except perhaps me) likes to have the ambiance enhanced by the smell of 91 octane auto gas or 100LL avgas!

In my 20 years experience running Quadra 45s, Zenoah G-62s and, more recently (past 3 years) running 3W-75s, I’ve never had fuel/carb issues as a result of this 'run-dry' approach. I do; however, open the carb occasionally to clean out the crap trap (screen) – perhaps once and sometimes twice a year. Several of my engines have currently consumed well over 150 gallons of fuel and, in addition to still going strong, have never seen a rebuild on the carb!

My guess is: Either approach works – just as long as you don’t store the fuel beyond its normal lifespan (say 3-6 months without stabilizer)! Good luck.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I don't run the carbs dry. I shut the ignition off and empty the tank. Fuel and oil stays in the carb. That way they don't dry out. Drying out is probably worse than a mixture of 10% ethenol gas and oil.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i dont run mine dry either
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
RTK

only empty the tank, but I live in california.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

After my last flight I pulled the fuel line and ran my 26cc engine til it quit. Today I took the carb apart to check the filter screen for debris. The filter screen and the fuel pump diaphragm were both wet with fuel. Twas not enough to drip out but the fuel that was in there would not have evaporated by spring.

So dry is still damp!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I empty the tank and thats all. Very few if any carb problems. I keep carb kits on hand but have not had to replace any parts in years.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After use I flood out my leaf blowers =2, string trimmer, chainsaws (all3) I have done this for years and not had to replace any carb part. I use some fuel stabilizer if not run within 2 months. If when I start them and if they do not start right away...I dump gas out of tank and refill with fresh. Yup flood them out at end of use that day. Done it for years. My friends that listen to me all say there power products start a lot better. Capt,n
Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
RTK

I too use the choke to kill my 2 cycle lawn equipment, and also with a couple of my reed valve engines because I have no kill switch but a servo on the choke. I know some think this is bad, but I have done it for four years without hurting the reeds.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Sounds to me that wet is good - at least not bad. I feel for the people that must store their plane in the house. My wife can smell gas on me after a day of flying and the plane is still in the truck. If I had to store inside I guess I would still be using glow fuel.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
spaceworm

Previously posted, but would also eliminate the smell on you if you ran Coleman all the time instead of gasoline. I do it because I don't like the gasoline smell.

"I would run the engine dry of the flight fuel and then fill it with Coleman fuel at the desired oil mix and run it untill all elements are saturated with the Coleman fuel mix. This eliminates the alcohol problem and keeps the carb wet with friendly fuel. Also Coleman does not go stale, it stores indefinitely with no degradation. Just do what you think best, though, my Zenoah G23 with EI runs great on the Coleman and Pennzoil at 32:1, so I don't need to switch over to this mix at day/season end."

Regards,

Richard
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Coleman fuel has an octane variously stated between 40 and 60, but very low none-the-less.... I would NOT run it as my flying fuel, though I do use it as a storage fuel. When running my engines on Coleman fuel to purge the carb/engine of the flying gasoline mix, they run very noticeably hotter, even just on a quick ground run. I know, lots of people say they fly with Coleman fuel with no problems, but do you want to risk your high dollar engine AND plane on it??

AV8TOR
Old 10-17-2009, 01:44 AM
freeair

keep the carby internals Wet , if you run the carby / engine dry there is no oil in the fuel to keep the carby diaphram soft. also forget the magic fuels just use the good old car petrol / gas with good 2 stroke oil at the correct mix.