Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Using ethanol blended gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:45 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Using ethanol blended gasoline

Well my bubble is busted as Jamaica has joined the ranks of countries producing only ethanol blended gasoline with ratings of 87 and 90 octane effective November 1, 2009. I plan on using the 90 octane, but due to the moisture generating capabilities of this type of blend gasoline are there any horrors to be on the look out for or any particular measures to take when using it in our little jewels.

Karol
Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using ethanol blended gasoline

In Sweden we have had gasoline with 5% ethanol in it for many years. No problems whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

10% or higher is very hard on rubber parts in the cards
Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 10% ethanol doesn't seem to cause any internal engine rust
Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of our fuel in Michigan has had that for better than 15 years , my weed eater does not mind at all.

Andy
Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

No problems at all for the last 3 years at 10%.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

California has been using ethanol blended gas for many years now. Along with stuff I don't think anyone knows about.

Walbro carbs have come equipped with components good to a noted level of 20% ethanol for several years, so unless you're carb is more than 4 years old you won't have any problems there. Even so, you should replace all the gaskets and diaphragms in a carb at periods not exceeding every two years. That stuff wears and there is no information or data available to determine their life cycle. Just to let you know, I've been trying to determine that life cycle for the last three years with no success. Nobody knows...

Like any other fuel, keep the container sealed and store the container out of direct sunlight. By itself, that goes a long way to eliminating a lot of fuel issues. Ethanol does absorb moisture but in a closed gas can the amount is generally not enough to have a negative impact on performance. Spending a little time in tuning the carb still makes for the best performance with any fuel.

In essence, you should not have any issues different from what you had before. You might have to re-tune the carb slightly with a change to blended gas. Aside from that, everything else is the same as it's always been. Good storage practices, and a little preventative maintenace.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
AJsToyz

TOM or w8ye

Do you remember the Corn fuel they were selling back in the late 70's early 80's ? I think it was actually called Cornahol, used to have a big ear of corn on the station sign. That stuff was toxic to many cars. My sisters brand new 1979 Plymouth Horizon ended up in the shop after a tank full.

Andy
Old 11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
w8ye

i don't remember the ear of corn but there was a local fuel distributor that mixed Methanol instead of Ethanol with his gasoline he sold. It ruined the plastic parts in a lot of cars. He was sued and ruined. This happened in the ealry '80's.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
AJsToyz

I wonder if that was across the US or local. Your not that far from me, the stations could have been related.

Andy
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 PM
w8ye

The one I was referring to was more or less limited to Wayne County Ohio in and aroun Wooster, OH.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:18 PM
AJsToyz

Just wondering, ours was Wayne County Michigan , close to Detroit.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

California had a nasty spate of engine compartment fires shortly after they started using ethanols in gas in the late 70's or early 80's. Can't remember exactly when it was. The rubber hoses and and some other rubber parts inside carbs was found to be imcompatible with ethanols and a couple other additives and started rotting from the first moment of contact. Of course the fuel industry denied any culpability but after a change in hose and component chemistries everything was just fine again. Later another new additive, possibly MTBE but I can't be certain, triggered another round of fuel system issues that took a year or two to straighten out.

All of the above was a long time ago and unless you're using stuff that's ancient that hasn't ever been upgraded there are few reasons to be concerned.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

Well my bubble is busted as Jamaica has joined the ranks of countries producing only ethanol blended gasoline with ratings of 87 and 90 octane effective November 1, 2009. I plan on using the 90 octane, but due to the moisture generating capabilities of this type of blend gasoline are there any horrors to be on the look out for or any particular measures to take when using it in our little jewels.

Karol
Karolh, there has been a lot of good information posted here so far but let me add a few comments. Ethanol in and of itself added to conventional gasoline doesn't seem to cause any problems with our engines or fuel systems. But, and that is a big BUT it seems that in some areas of the country and perhaps abroad, when ethanol is added the basic gasoline formula also changes. In some areas, this new exotic mix of ingredients that they call gasoline when mixed with ethanol causes carb problems even in carbs that are resistant to ethanol. Earlier this last year, you could see a rash of problems posted from the SE part of the USA when most of us had no problems whatsoever.

In short, run the new fuel, adjust your carb as needed and wait to see if there are problems. Don't create problems where they don't exist but be on guard for changes. I've read enough of your posts over the years to know that you really don't have to do anything different than you've done all along. Do regular maintenance as needed and I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM
karolh

As usual you guys can always be relied on to come up with informative answers.
Our blended gasoline has 10% ethanol (E10) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well. Thanks to all who responded to my concern.

Karol
Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

As usual you guys can always be relied on to come up with informative answers.
Our blended gasoline has 10% ethanol (E10) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well. Thanks to all who responded to my concern.

Karol
Be assured that if you do have fuel problems, the ethanol mix by itself won't be the problem but the cocktail mix of fuels are the problem.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
w8ye

In the Petroleum Engineers Handbook Gasoline is defined by vapor pressure, specific gravity, and boiling point ranges. Might be most anything in the way of petroleum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I wonder if that was across the US or local. Your not that far from me, the stations could have been related.

Andy
Hey AJ, Is it ok if I nickname you "the quisitor" Or the Purple ghost!!!! Where is Maybe Mich? Best regards Capt,n
Old 11-08-2009, 04:12 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

California had a nasty spate of engine compartment fires shortly after they started using ethanols in gas in the late 70's or early 80's. Can't remember exactly when it was. The rubber hoses and and some other rubber parts inside carbs was found to be imcompatible with ethanols and a couple other additives and started rotting from the first moment of contact. Of course the fuel industry denied any culpability but after a change in hose and component chemistries everything was just fine again. Later another new additive, possibly MTBE but I can't be certain, triggered another round of fuel system issues that took a year or two to straighten out.

All of the above was a long time ago and unless you're using stuff that's ancient that hasn't ever been upgraded there are few reasons to be concerned.

Additionally, Chrysler made cars were particularly stricken with engine fires. Their traditional habit of using a piece of flexible composite fuel line in the line between the carb and the fuel pump was very vulnerable to decomposing and leaking fuel on or next to the exhaust manifold and spark plugs, resulting in more car fires than normal, amongst the other brands. I am an ex Chrysler employee and a Mopar fan, so I have no axe to grind.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM
warbird addict

The biggest problem with ethanol based fuel is that after sitting for a little while maybe 10 days or so it goes thru phase seperation of the methanol
try a little experiment take a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle and fill it up half way with some ethanol based gas and set it aside for ten days or so and then go back and look at it
what you find will startle you, it will look as though someone added about 3/8" of vegetable oil to it
you can shake it all you want to but it will not recombine at all and will not burn in most small engines.
The only thing I have found that truly works to prevent phase seperation is some stuff called Star Tron which completely prevents phase seperation indefinitely and
drasticly improves combustion. It can be found at your local auto parts store
I run it in everything that burns gas, automobiles included and the stuff is guaranteed safe for use in every form of gasoline burning engine.
I noticed a drastic difference in performance when using it my gas planes especially.
When reading the eclosed pamphlet included with the Star Tron I was shocked to see what happens to Automobile engines more particularly the valves when
methanol fuels have been used FYI
Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 AM
AJsToyz

Sure Capt,n !! I'm just north of Toledo ... a little south of Ann Arbor , but about 10 minutes from Cabela's

Andy
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't have any trouble with the new fuel blend Karol. Plenty of flying is good for you so be sure and get your fair share. (It's my way of getting relaxation)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
karolh

Always knew there was something about you that I liked Jez and thanks for that vote of confidence. Having an outing to the flying field sure helps me keep the stress gremlins at bay.

Karol
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
karolh

Oops, a double post ... guess today is brain fart day.

Karol
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Didn't someone bring up the subject of using Coleman fuel? Any issues? What is the Octane? etc. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.