Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Are Hall Sensors Interchangeable between brands?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Are Hall Sensors Interchangeable between brands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 AM
cometravi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are Hall Sensors Interchangeable between brands?

Hi,

I burnt thru my hall sensor wire on my first flight and something busted in the Vlach ignition. I re-soldered the wires (white, Green and Brown) on the sensor properly but am not getting the spark.

These things are not available locally where I come from and before I order in th RCxcl ignition from pe i just wanted an opinion on whether my ignition can be salvaged.

I measured the voltage on the signal wire (white) and gnd (brown) of the sensor and I am getting 1.1v there. Am also getting 0.5v between the green and while wires. The problem is that flipping the prop over does not change the voltage which led me to believe that my hall sensor may be busted.

Also, a guy (electronics whiz) that I fly with here said that since the Hall sensor is on the input circuit, hence wires shorting there should not ideally bust the ignition.

I thought I should test with another hall sensor before ordering in the ignition. The only hall sensor i have available locally is the SPE 40-43cc sensor [link=http://www.rotor.co.in/show-detail.asp?prodid={04571E4B-C6D5-4A5F-89DA-42175D9552F5}&pn=1]SPE 40-43cc sensor[/link]

Will this work with the Vlach/engine?

Any experts out there who can help me troubleshoot and get my bird back in the air?

Cheers...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Hall Sensors Interchangeable between brands?

Go to C- H Ignitions and order their replacement for the MVVS 1.6 ignition system. Its around $100+ S&H. It includes a replacement drive washer with magnet. Thats the quick way to trouble shoot.

http://www.ch-ignitions.com

Jerry
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was not his question.
He asks what can be done to test his Hall sensor, and eventual replacement (costs only a few bucks), so it can be spliced into the original cirquit.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
cometravi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Pe. Anybody know if this can work?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot answer the question about the compatibility because I have not used the Vlach unit. However, not all hall sensors are created equal. Some are sensors while others are pick ups. Some sense from the south side of the magnet while others function with the north. So the answer to one question is that all hall sensors are not the same. Hall and pick up sensors do not typically have the ability to blow the primary ignition moducle unless the power leads are directly shorted. Without a fuse between the ignition and the sensor the effects of a dead short can travel back up the line.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vlach ignition uses a bipolar type in order to detect both south and north orientaded magnets.
Since Vlach is OOB, the only way to go about it is dismantle the sensor and order the same type number hall sensor (electronic's hobby shop)
Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some are latching and require 2 magnets to work. So some different brands will interchange, but there are many that won't.