Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

super tiger gass conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super tiger gass conversion?

I know people have converted supertigers to run on gass. Can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? tonight all I get are error messages on the search.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 PM
tkg

Default RE: super tiger gass conversion?

Bring money....
Best bet sell your ST and buy a gas engine.
But if you insist call CH Electronics for what needs to be done. Figure $175 to do it with new parts. Less if you know your way around EBay
Check RCU and EBay and see if you can buy a ST already done.
TKG
CH Electronics
307 857 6897
www.ch-ignitions.com
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have a Como 90 (Super Tigre) and was wondering about converting to gas. What else needs to be done to the engine besides an electronic ignition and a 1/4-32 spark plug? Does the con rod need bushed/rebushed or needle bearings put in? And what oil in the gas is necessary or would you run alcohol without nitro and then what percentage and type of oil. TIA

Sincerely,
Richard
Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

You will need a Walbro carb and carb base adapter plus the parts you already mentioned. I have a converted ST3200, but I got mine cheap. Haven't run it yet but I saw it run before we traded. Runs OK but you will need to run a high percentage of oil because of the air-to-fuel ratio difference between alcohol(approx 6:1) and gas(approx 13:1). I have heard about 13% oil which is about 10:1 fuel to oil. Also need more oil for the bushings. TKG said it right. Sell it for what you can get and take the conversion money and buy a gasser. Since I already have it, I'm going to run mine just out of curiousity.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Eganwp

Not to be a needle in the eye, but why not just convert it to run on FAI fuel for free instead? I mean you can mix your own methanol+synth+castor for almost nothing. And all you need to do is up the engine's "heat". You achieve this by removing shims, hot plugs, etc. I know a few guys who have done it with excellent results. I plan on doing this to my next engine as I can get all the methanol I want for free. The oil will be my only cost. Now yes, I'm not speaking directly to your ST engine, as I've never owned one, but rather glow engines in general.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
spaceworm

Actually, I have methanol (paid $5.00 per gallon) I will use to make FAI fuel for an ASP91 I have that is high compression and does not like nitro. I also have an ASP 1.08 that probably will run on FAI fuel. I will try the Como on the same mix. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7363193/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6364259/tm.htm

Old 11-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The big problem with converting a methanol engine to gasoline is cooling. An engine made for methanol has sufficient cooling fins because the inrush of the fuel air mixture does a lot of cooling. On the other hand gasoline engines have larger cooling fins and run hotter. The gas/air mixture inrush has a lot less cooling effect. It is no technical trick to convert one to gas, it's just harder to keep from burning one up. The best advice was to sell the ST and buy a gasser. Or keep the ST and run it on FAI fuel.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:26 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

The big problem with converting a methanol engine to gasoline is cooling. An engine made for methanol has sufficient cooling fins because the inrush of the fuel air mixture does a lot of cooling. On the other hand gasoline engines have larger cooling fins and run hotter. The gas/air mixture inrush has a lot less cooling effect. It is no technical trick to convert one to gas, it's just harder to keep from burning one up. The best advice was to sell the ST and buy a gasser. Or keep the ST and run it on FAI fuel.
I bought an igntion kit from CH a few months back for my ST.61. I'm going to put it on my .90 now. I'm not going to use gas. I'm going to use no nitro glow fuel. I'm hoping it will be more reliable than the glow plug set up and more efficient. Just need a plane to put it in to test it out. I sold the one I was going to use.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: whatwind

I know people have converted supertigers to run on gass. Can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? tonight all I get are error messages on the search.
I'm running a ST 3000 on E85 ethanol/gasoline fuel right now. Using 12% oil and that's too much. Using the stock carb, just had to lean it out a little. All I had to add was the CH ignition. I'm still playing with the idle.

CR
Old 11-28-2009, 04:53 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

ORIGINAL: Charley

ORIGINAL: whatwind

I'm running a ST 3000 on E85 ethanol/gasoline fuel right now. Using 12% oil and that's too much. Using the stock carb, just had to lean it out a little. All I had to add was the CH ignition. I'm still playing with the idle.

CR
What kind of performance are you getting. Prop, rpms, etc?