Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

YD-A 56 vs. DLE 55

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 PM
helisrme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YD-A 56 vs. DLE 55

Which engine power to weight ratio would be the ultimate engine for my Great Planes Giant Scale Christen Eagle II? Is there any other engines out there better for my plane? Many thanks, Kenny J
Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 AM
RC Pile It
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Helisrme, I believe that the answer lies in the next few tests! I chose these two, because I believe that they are great bang for the buck, but I wanted to know which ONE was the best! So far they are close in size, price, customer service, and periferal equipt. Tomarrow we look at internals, weights, dimensions, quality, ...etc. I can't wait!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 AM
butchrecord

I am very exited with your test's and comprasons. I've checked out both engines on the web sites. How long does it take to recieve an engine orderd from Austrailia? Thanks for yuor new thread. Butch.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to. They are sold here in North America.
http://www.rcaer.com/store/Results.cfm?category=2
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 AM
f4u1940

Hey, RC PILE IT,
            Thanks for doing this, I've been very curiose about the YDA 56. I have a new bird on the bench right now that needs a motor. I have been leaning towords the DLE-55 for the time bieng,so this will give some insight to these new  motors.I was wondering are you just going to bench test these motors, and/or will you be putting them up in the air as well? And if you fly them what kind of flying will you be doing with them? Some of are our local club members 3d the dle-55 and 111 and it does perform very well. Looking forward to the info,and this is cool your doing this as alot of folks don't have the resource time and money to do this kind of stuff. Oh yeah one more thing I seen you where going to use XOAR props, any chance you might try Vess props, I'am no expert and havent tried XOARS props but i'am having good numbers on my current engine with the vess.
  Thanks
       Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

wow on the specs says it can run a 24x8 propeller.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Hey All
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63tonjpnrM]YD-A 56 Flying a 35 pound DH-4M2 @ half throttle[/link]

The engine reviewer is Dick Petitt... He has reviewed many dozens of engines professionally. He reviews engines for RC ONLINE.
He is flying the YD-A 56cc power plant turning a Vess 25A prop pulling 6000 RPM.

The plane is a quarter scale Balsa USA de Havilland DH-4M2 that has 4300 square inches of wing area and weighs 35 pounds. 99% of this flight was done at half throttle.

His comment..."Enough power? I think so...."

Cheers
Henry

Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Piston

How about another video
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B81u6F7H7R0&feature=channel]YD-A 56 & AMR-RC Giant Stick 50[/link]

The pilot here is again... professional engine reviewer Dick Petitt...
You can see the kit here [link=http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path=content&SC=kits&SUBSC=amr_giant_stick_50&page=amr_giant_stick_50_info]AMR-RC Giant Stick 50[/link]
106 wing span
80 in fuselage
23 pounds/flying weight

Cheers
Henry
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

That's funny, I just ordered that kit last night.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
RC Pile It

The YD-A comes from Henry. He is in Niagra Falls NewYork. About 5 days for me in Colorado...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
JOHNS3D

need to win lotto to enjoy more this hobby and test a few more engines. lol
Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
RC Pile It

Hey F4u...

Although my plane(Hanger9/Carden Yak) is set up for 3d, I don't do that, but I have a buddy that will hang it off the prop so we can see the all so important "pull Out", with both engines. Fortunately, both engines are really close in weight and set up, so I can make switches in under 1/2 hour, just to keep conditions the same for both...

As far as Vess props go, I have never spun one, but I have no problems trying something new, so I will get one for my statics, and let everyone know...I will be using which ever prop(s) show the best results on the ground, for my flying tests/videos.

EVERYONE:
We all need to keep in mind that without a Dyno, these tests are just a reference. One engine might have really good midrange, but a crappy curve, where the other might have a very nice power curve but no real "sweetspot". We will not know without the ability to see the true number through the entire power band. So this will be rough, at best, But I will still try...

Hopefully we will see both engines do some IMAC patterns, as well as some 3d fun stuff. Worst case, it will be entertaining!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

RC Pile It, where do you fly?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
RC Pile It

Well, I have been approached by one of the manufacturers, that is already lining up there "excuses" which is a little disheartening....They are claiming that since the engine was dis-assemble(initially due to internal problems), that they will combat any findings....Here's a quote...

" You will have two engines now and people from both that will dispute most if not all of your findings unless you have verifiable engineering data available. That is why credible engine reviewers run the engines straight out of the box. Right now.. as it is you have skewed the results already. You will be challenged by both engine people that you may have assembled the engines incorrectly.

8. Your side by side comparison, can now only be a side by side – a *** for tat . You have no base standard established for either engine. Your “comparison†unfortunately will only be an opinion based upon personal circumstances. You must know that any attempt to compare will be challenged by experienced engine people especially in light of what you have done to both engines prior to running them side by side."

Now, As I explained to this individual, I am a certified A&P, which means that the US Gov. trusts me to tear down, and re-assemble the most complicated of turbine engines on commercial aircraft. As well, I have been rebuilding engines for 27 years(Professionally for 22)( My last engine is in a daily driver, and made 745hp at 6000' elevation), I have also had over 12 years of machining experience working with tolerances of 0.0002", so I think that I can figure out how to scew three pieces of aluminum together within factory spec's. But, to their benifit( and to show a deep interest in fairness), I have offered to purchase(again) another engine from them that they can pre-break in, tuned to their liking, and I will use it for my test, just to give them benifit of the doubt....(They are discussing this option. I would think that it is a no-brainer, but then I think that some like to have excusses ready...for some odd reason!) I will not reveal which company this is, so please don't ask!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
RC Pile It

Hey SUPER08,

Did you ever get that popcorn...?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Mike06659

Hey, I just noticed you can get a DLE 55 from Troybuilt under $400.00 I'm sold, ording today!!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
RC Pile It

Hey FW190,

I took both apart last night, and found that the DLE did have quite a bit of slop in the threads, for the first few threads at least. their crankcase machining however was very nice(pictures to follow). I was impressed with guide pins being used to ensure proper case half alignment, as well as an overlapping lip to ensure a good seal. The YD-A however, didn't have any form of "guides", so if the case is to be split, be prepaird to have to "jig" the re-assembly, because if the case halves aren't aligned properly, the cylinder will not mate up properly, causing all sorts of problems...And the YD-A relys on gaskets to seal their case halves. But, Their bolts/holes have a nice snug feel to them, and their use of quality loctite(or equivalant) is noticable everywhere. The DLE didn't show as much thread lock as I would have liked to have seen, but the main case bolts did have some...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM
RC Pile It

Hey Jim,

I fly at Arvada Associated Modelers Airpark(Hwy 93, between Boulder and Golden). I have been needing to join L.A.M.A., as they are closer to my shop, but Arvada is closer to home! Oh yea, and I like having 750'x50' of concrete !
Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: butchrecord

I am very exited with your test's and comprasons. I've checked out both engines on the web sites. How long does it take to recieve an engine orderd from Austrailia? Thanks for yuor new thread. Butch.
Butch,

You don't have to wait for International freight on an YD-A.
Contact RC Aero (Piston), he is the US Distributor, we sell the engine in Australia !
Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC Pile It

Well, I have been approached by one of the manufacturers, that is already lining up there "excuses" which is a little disheartening....They are claiming that since the engine was dis-assemble(initially due to internal problems), that they will combat any findings....Here's a quote...

" You will have two engines now and people from both that will dispute most if not all of your findings unless you have verifiable engineering data available. That is why credible engine reviewers run the engines straight out of the box. Right now.. as it is you have skewed the results already. You will be challenged by both engine people that you may have assembled the engines incorrectly.

8. Your side by side comparison, can now only be a side by side – a *** for tat . You have no base standard established for either engine. Your “comparison” unfortunately will only be an opinion based upon personal circumstances. You must know that any attempt to compare will be challenged by experienced engine people especially in light of what you have done to both engines prior to running them side by side."

Now, As I explained to this individual, I am a certified A&P, which means that the US Gov. trusts me to tear down, and re-assemble the most complicated of turbine engines on commercial aircraft. As well, I have been rebuilding engines for 27 years(Professionally for 22)( My last engine is in a daily driver, and made 745hp at 6000' elevation), I have also had over 12 years of machining experience working with tolerances of 0.0002", so I think that I can figure out how to scew three pieces of aluminum together within factory spec's. But, to their benifit( and to show a deep interest in fairness), I have offered to purchase(again) another engine from them that they can pre-break in, tuned to their liking, and I will use it for my test, just to give them benifit of the doubt....(They are discussing this option. I would think that it is a no-brainer, but then I think that some like to have excusses ready...for some odd reason!) I will not reveal which company this is, so please don't ask!
What if their engine comes out on top, will they dispute that? Personally, I like to see everyday modelers do these kindsof comparisons, it is a side by side, *** for tat comparison of two individual engine specimensconceived of your own volition and expense, how could it hurt anybody. It's not like you bought a case of each after visiting the factories to review manufacturing practices and techniques. Any findings are limited to the two specific specimens being evaluated, anyone that owns one or the other can compare the findings with their own experiences for their own use and purpose. It does take some cajones to do this in this type of setting and I for one applaud you for that, good luck!

For the record, one of the manufacturers at best only writes in a form of broken engrish, this I know for a fact.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: RC Pile It

Hey Jim,

I fly at Arvada Associated Modelers Airpark(Hwy 93, between Boulder and Golden). I have been needing to join L.A.M.A., as they are closer to my shop, but Arvada is closer to home! Oh yea, and I like having 750'x50' of concrete !

I've flown up there a few times and know quite a few guys that fly there.
I've seen a bunch of the DLE's and thought it would be nice to see the YD-A in person.
This is a great comparision. Good luck and I'll be following it.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM
RC Pile It

Alrighty...I finally got a chance to throw these on a scale....

My scale is accurate to 0.1grams, and I just checked accuracy with my 1000gr weight, and it was dead on from 0-1000gr.

The YD-A is on the Left, The DLE on the Right.

Both engines were weighed with all of their own accy's(Ignition, stand-offs, wiring, plug...etc.), so this should be total weight on the aircraft minus what ever ign. battery, prop, & spinner, you will supply.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48899.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1330741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13050.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1330742  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
RC Pile It

I did a correction on an earlier post...

The carbs that are included were stated wrong(I read the wrong numbers)

The YD-A comes with..... #WT 785

The DLE comes with........#WT 918

Sorry 'bout that, I don't know what the other number is, but I used the one that follows the "WT", but I guess the correct number is under the "WT"my bad!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM
JOHNS3D

the main wieght difference is the plastic bag RC, do it again without it...................... LOL just kidding..nice review, hope you can make a thrust test.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM
RC Pile It

Dimensionaly, these are both so very close in every way, that I don't see a great benefit to spending a bunch of time trying to find minimal differences. They are however different in length....

From mount to prop/spinner back is:

YD-A 56.......6 1/2"

DLE 55.........6 11/16" (3/16" longer)

The only real difference that I see is the clearance from the carb to the rear mounting surface:

YD-A clearance......12/32"

DLE clearance........15/32"

Otherwise, depending on what cowl you have, you might need to do a little adjusting for proper spinner alignment....

I fly Yaks so it doesn't matter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.