Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah marine to air conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah marine to air conversion??

I have a zenoah pum23 marine engine & was toying with the idea of converting it for air use. according to the zenoah manuels, the pum23, g23, and g26 all share the same lower end which means that by replacing front seal on the marine application with the third sealed bearing for air engine, replacing top end & muffler, & mounting prop adapter should be all that's needed to convert this engine to a g26 air and should cost less than half of buying a new g26. Is that all there is to it, or am i overlooking something here? (I have more time than funds on my hands at the moment ). Also, the carb is a walbro wa 167 & this engine uses the red source coil. Are these items suitable for air use? thanks in advance for taking time to read this.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah marine to air conversion??

You pretty much covered it. The cylinder, bearing, prop adaptor, and muffler are the big items. Coil and carb are just fine as is.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (4)

You can make it a 29cc with a cylinder and piston from Dave's Discount Motors...And less $$..
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: repirazz

I have a zenoah pum23 marine engine & was toying with the idea of converting it for air use. according to the zenoah manuels, the pum23, g23, and g26 all share the same lower end which means that by replacing front seal on the marine application with the third sealed bearing for air engine, replacing top end & muffler, & mounting prop adapter should be all that's needed to convert this engine to a g26 air and should cost less than half of buying a new g26. Is that all there is to it, or am i overlooking something here? (I have more time than funds on my hands at the moment [img][/img]). Also, the carb is a walbro wa 167 & this engine uses the red source coil. Are these items suitable for air use? thanks in advance for taking time to read this.
WRONG .... the early G2D,G23 & G230 interchanged parts .... The G231 & G260 use a different crank case and cylinder that DO NOT interchange with earlier engines.
Cranks, Ignition systems,bearing seals however are all the same
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM

The case used with the red source coil engines might not have the transfer ports as large as the 26 case..If you cut the bottom cylinder extensions off and make sure the piston goes down into the case without interference, it will work...Might take a little enlarging on the case....
Old 03-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Antique-thank you for the input. It appears that the transfer ports areas in the case have already had some 'relieving' done to it. I will contact dave's discount motors see what they have available. I'm liking the 29cc idea, i'm guessing that would be a 36mm bore.

Scott-that's the kind of compatability info I was looking for. thank you. I definately have the g230 (early) case. So i guess the options here are: (A) go with early 23cc air cyl, (B) buy late style case, or (C) do mods as Antique suggested.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71101.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1404958  
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Antique

You can make it a 29cc with a cylinder and piston from Dave's Discount Motors...And less $$..
I have a G23. Are you saying I can get a piston and cylinder from DDM and turn it into a 29cc engine?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Hardly worth the effort...The last G231PUH 32mm bore heli engines using that case with the enlarged ports ran just like the 26, I have one here...They have since dropped the 231PUH in favor of the 26....
Must not be much wall thickness on the ports in that green case...