Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55CC vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE 55CC vibrations

ORIGINAL: Rover1newton

I really don't know who you are, but it was built right, balanced correctly and TUNED! This isn't my first rodeo.... I've not had a DLE before just DA's and they do not vibrate like this one has at mid to full throttle.... All I did was raise a concern to see if someone else has had an issue like this on a DLE 55... So, when you can give someone some good advice and know what you are talking about then post a reply... Other than that keep your posts to yourself...... It amazes me that some people go around posting crap like this, seems to me that they don't have anything better to do..... Thanks for all the help from the ones that were trying to help.................
T.O.M. just happens to be an expert on small gas engines and from what I have seen he's never posted any crap as far as I can see. It may not be your first rodeo but it is your first one here.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

TOM: He only has 15 posts. Ignore the insolence.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Here's my 2 cents worth. The reactor is a very light built airframe and with any engine it will vibrate and shake more than some others.
As for the DLE, it really isn't a high compression engine and takes forever for those rings they use to seat properly if ever.
Since I have owned a few engines in this class I can tell you that the DA seems to be the smoothest idling engine I have run, although it is not the most powerful or lightest which might contribute to this observation.
I did not see anything that T.O.M. wrote as being condescending
Reinforce concerned areas as others have mentioned, put it in the air and have fun. That is what it is all about anyway.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

just FYI almost all ignitions are at full advance at 4000 rpm..
Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rover1newton

I really don't know who you are, but it was built right, balanced correctly and TUNED! This isn't my first rodeo.... I've not had a DLE before just DA's and they do not vibrate like this one has at mid to full throttle.... All I did was raise a concern to see if someone else has had an issue like this on a DLE 55... So, when you can give someone some good advice and know what you are talking about then post a reply... Other than that keep your posts to yourself...... It amazes me that some people go around posting crap like this, seems to me that they don't have anything better to do..... Thanks for all the help from the ones that were trying to help.................
Just a small piece of information that might be important; T.O.M. does this for a living. He gives advice on this forum and others daily and I greatly appreciate him giving some of his valuable time to help out.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: raubold

Just bench run my DLE 55, planed to be installed in the Reactor and it shakes like mad in mid range, tuned carb but did not get any better. I am afraid it rattles the Wings of that Plane. I check Timing and behavior later, if not i switch to a different Ignition and let you Guys now at a later point. I deal a lot with Gas Engines and it seems to much advanced in mid Rpm. I try a DA ignition next and let you know here
Michael
you wouldnt happen to be from China? while reading your post i could hear a chinese accent in my head...lol
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 PM
mitchsnap
My Feedback: (33)

Had a few more flights with my Aeroworks 260 Profile. The DLE55 runs awesome. Vibration may come from the airframe it's in. I'm no expert and don't mean to be. But it is a little bouncy at idle.
After that it's a hoot to fly. Don't forget, I'm running this engine in a 14 lb. model. Check out my pic above. Let's all try to get along here. I was diagnosed with cancer about 7 weeks ago. They took my spleen. 40% of my pancreas, a portion of my stomach, a tumor that was cancer the size of a grapefruit and some lymph nodes. Going through chemo now. Prognosis is good. But mentally I'm hanging in there. You know I assumed this whole forum was about helping brother flyers out with moments that they are in that they may need some help. But with some of the input you see above now makes me wonder. Between Rover1newton and tired old man. Tired old man absolutely needs to provide CONSTRUCTIVE INPUT in my opinion. Don't make people feel they are in the first grade at the blackboard and wrote down 2+2= 5. Provide help. This is the United States of America. There are many things that have changed in this country. Let's try to keep at least this website forum a source of knowledge and reference that people can benefit from. Thanks to all for your positive input. And a belated Happy 4th of July. God bless America.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

you wouldnt happen to be from China? while reading your post i could hear a chinese accent in my head...lol
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 PM
RTK

mitchsnap,- Good luck with the chemo and keep hanging in there.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 PM
mitchsnap

Thank you RTK. I'm gonna beat this. Just finishing up a 35% H9 Extra 260. I plan to try IMAC with it. Been flying a little over 2 years but I have some great people at the field to help out. Thanks for your positive input. Mitch.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 AM
AirplaneKit

cool..
Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My prayers are with you.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
mitchsnap

Thank you everyone. I could tell you a story about how caring people could be. I just had an incredible moment about ten minutes ago at work with people that I didn't even know;
come on my truck ( I'm a Snap-On tool dealer) and prayed for 5 minutes and joined together to help me beat this cancer. I know this is not the place to mention this, but i felt the need to. Pretty amazing. Have a great day.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: mitchsnap

Thank you everyone. I could tell you a story about how caring people could be. I just had an incredible moment about ten minutes ago at work with people that I didn't even know;
come on my truck ( I'm a Snap-On tool dealer) and prayed for 5 minutes and joined together to help me beat this cancer. I know this is not the place to mention this, but i felt the need to. Pretty amazing. Have a great day.
Wonderfull!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

you know i have been saying this about the dle55 for a while now.i have a flying buddy that has had a 55 for over a year now and he has had at lease three side dump mufflers on it.the stock dle muffler lasted about six flights,then he bought one from TBM a silent beauty i think they call it,another side dump,it didn't lasted much longer than the dle did.then i gave him a new da50 side dump to try and that one also broke at the exit tube just like all the rest and being a da muffler they replace it at no charge.
now i have a dle55 and put on a new da50 muffler and it lasted for about three gals. of fuel before the exit pipe broke off.so there might be something to this vibrations issues on the dle55.
i don't run spinners and the prop was balance tip to tip as was the hub.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
mitchsnap

I am running a pitts style muffler on my DLE55 on the profile pictured in this thread. No problems for about 20 flights. I did use red rtv high temp sealant with the gasket that came with the engine.and let it sit overnight. Bought the pitts muffler from a seller here on RCU. Seller's username is ibcinyou. His name is Mike and is very helpful. He also sells the DLE's. I have heard of the side dump muffler causing problems. Maybe the way the exhaust is being direct or maybe a balance issue of the design of the muffler. My prop is balanced as well as the spinner. I would try the pitts style. Worked for me. Just some thoughts that seemed to work for me. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with can muffs is they are only secured at the cylinder head most of the time. Stand back and look at that muffler and consider the vibration it's subjected to. Those two attachment points are the only things preventing the muffler from vibrationg during combustiona dn propeller revolution impulses. Add is low quality materials and welds with some products and the problem gets worse.

People that add a secondary support to a muffler have muffs that last a lot longer than most people, and their cylinder heads do not experience damage at the exhaust port and exhaust port mounting screw bosses like other people.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 AM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Checked the DLE 55 over, 25 dergree acceptabel no issues, retuned a little not much better, slaped a 22B Vess on it much better. Seems the DLE has issues with lighter Propellers.
22X8 NX not enough Prop and harder to tune mid range, may try a 23 later on the Reactor. Have to say that the 55 is good Engine. Looks like the nature of the beast and the Fuse of the Reactor is not much to absorb virations by looking at my 50 cc 260. By reading Forums here there is not one witch fell appart because of the Engine vibrations .i just go ahead and fly it soonest i get the Jtec Pits for it. I think there is nothing to worry with that DLE. OHHH forgot, the chrapo Plug supplied with it went straight in the Can, replaced the CM6 copy with original, that helped a little
Michael
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
KLMehaffy
My Feedback: (6)

Thinking about this motor in a Midwest 232 cap 80" wingspan... thoughts?