Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

gas enguine radio interferance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: gas enguine radio interferance

Don't lose track of the fact that even modern 2.4 GHz R/C flight systems are shock sensitive. Vibration alone can be responsible for some of the problems that I have read about here. Also, the vibration isolation should be applied to all R/C components, including cables, switches and batteries, as well as receivers.

Yeah, I know. The heli guys use double-sided tape to mount their receivers and stuff. Right? How many helis do you think ever reach the 100 flight mark? That's my point.

Ed Cregger

P.S. I'm a heli guy too. I'm flying a Raptor 30 V1 with OS.32SX-H (non ringed) with a JR 8103 system on 50 MHz. Flies nice.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Dr_Chuckie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here is my setup. FYI the igition switch is above the throttle servo (next to the fuel tank). Th ignition battery is pictured (wrapped in gray foam). I have disco'd (and removed) both throttle and nosegear steering linkage and even tried FM rx still same issue. Servos glitching at more than half throttle. I'm about ready to go electric. Which would be a shame since the engine runs great and will power this plane very nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37535.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1433473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68462.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1433474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31436.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1433475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29928.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1433476  
Old 05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

My conversions have the ignition circuit screwed to the backplate on the inside of the mount..Only problems with vibration were when I didn't put enough electronic silicone on the parts...One of the capacitors vibrated loose...The new surface mount technology used by RC EXL fixes the problem, the whole thing is potted in some white stuff...C&H ignitions don't have the problem either, their parts are all stuck together on the board with some clear sealer...
Some people insist on creating problems where none exist....
How many thousand posts relating to oil ratios, oil brands, battery sizes and voltage are there here ?
ONE page from REAL knowledgeable experts on any of these would suffice...
Old 05-09-2010, 03:51 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dr., Before you switch over to electric, move your ignition switch away from the throttle servo as far as you can. It looks like the wires from the switch are leading to the rear. What are they going to? Where is the receiver and its antenna? Dan.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Dr_Chuckie

The rx is just aft of the landing gear. It's a Spterum with the remote pickup which is located on the left side of the fuse also behind the landing gear. See th attached photo for details of the ignition switch. I did try bypassing it connecting the battery directly to the ignition and currently the throttle servo is not connected to the rx. I will try moving it as far back as the lead from the ignition will let me. I may then nead to use an extension on the battery as I dion't know if it will balance with that battery that far back.

Name:	Ge95513.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1433540  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
All Day Dan

Thank you doc. Where is the ignition battery? It should be all the way forward away from the R/C system. Dan.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Dr_Chuckie

It's right below the throttle servo.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
rcacro

In the 2nd picture, the spark plug cap is not fully seated. It should fully cover the plug including the metal base.
It looks like the cap is not the correct one for the sparkplug in the engine.

Name:	tr51500.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1433564  
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Dr_Chuckie

It seems that's as far as it will go on. Everyhing on the engine is stock. I will check it though.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Antique

ALL the spark plug FACTS are at sparkplugs.com
REAL experts...
Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Antique

A proper cap on a proper Y82 spark plug covers the hex...Push hard, use some WD40 inside the cap...
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: Dr_Chuckie

So here is my setup. FYI the igition switch is above the throttle servo (next to the fuel tank). Th ignition battery is pictured (wrapped in gray foam). I have disco'd (and removed) both throttle and nosegear steering linkage and even tried FM rx still same issue. Servos glitching at more than half throttle. I'm about ready to go electric. Which would be a shame since the engine runs great and will power this plane very nicely.
i can see 1 problem, the metal plug cap is not on tight onto the plug. some of these fit pretty tight. the cap MUST be pushed all the way onto the plug. check this carefully!!!! if it loose the metal to metal contact with vibration will cause RF noise just like metal on metal linkages etc. that's found in model building 101!!! the plug that came with my brillelli 366 eng. was in my opinion the wrong one. the plug was a taper seat plug and the eng. takes a gasket seat type, leaked oil and combustion gas like mad i have now changed to the correct plug and will have to change the plug lead or the ign. unit. i called brillelli which is out of business and some other people are running it and they said they didn't know why brillelli used that combo. if you really tightened the plug so it wouldn't leak it would ruin the first couple of threads. so just because a certain eng. comes with a certain ign. unit don't count on it being the rite one. as 1 of the posts here said it looks like the wrong plug or the wrong plug cap and at this point i must agree with him
Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
All Day Dan

Doc, You have your throttle servo surrounded by parts of the ignition system. The switch is above it and the battery is below it. A perfect scenario for coupling into your receiver. Move your throttle servo way back and use a Nyrod for the pushrod. If that doesn't shoot you down then that poorly fitting spark plug cap will. Use dielectric grease or something like that to get the cap to fit better. There may be somethring wrong with the cap if it's that hard to get on. Dan.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Antique

My conversions have the ignition circuit screwed to the backplate on the inside of the mount..Only problems with vibration were when I didn't put enough electronic silicone on the parts...One of the capacitors vibrated loose...The new surface mount technology used by RC EXL fixes the problem, the whole thing is potted in some white stuff...C&H ignitions don't have the problem either, their parts are all stuck together on the board with some clear sealer...
Some people insist on creating problems where none exist....
How many thousand posts relating to oil ratios, oil brands, battery sizes and voltage are there here ?
ONE page from REAL knowledgeable experts on any of these would suffice...

SMT (Surface Mount Technology) is similar to 2.4 GHz SS technology in that folks believe both to be a cure-all for all deficiencies. They are not. While SMT is much more robust than than the previous generation of electronic architecture, it is not absolutely bulletproof. Add to that the fact that 2.4 GHz equipment still must rely upon at least one reference crystal in the generation and demodulation of RF signals, then you are right back to having a delicate system that must be isolated from vibration in order to protect that all important crystal. Circuits that do not depend upon a reference crystal can be treated with less concern. Just as 2.4 GHz does not eliminate any chance of interference, SMT does not provide absolutely vibration resistant electronic circuitry. I'm not looking for problems, Ralph. They are there waiting for us. While I am not a degreed electronics engineer, I have qualified as an electronics expert in court in the past.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Dr_Chuckie

Ok. So I now have the cap fitting correctly. Will hopefully test tommorrow.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you get Nyrod pushrods and connectors on the net? Does soemone in Australia have a source

I get the odd glitching, but my LHS does not sell such a poduct even though they sell ignition engines. I have explained my concerns many times, but they don't believe that metal pushrods will cause a problem provided nothing touches the pushrods. I have tried a piece of old fishing rod (fibreglass), but it is not rigid enough for accurate throtttle transition.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Antique

OK, so all my thousands of ignition conversions are made wrong...
You guys win, I'm done....
Y'all have a nice day, don't NOBODY except former customers call or send me engines...
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
All Day Dan

Tower has them. I use the blue one for throttle. Dan.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=QFA&V=SUL
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Antique

OK, so all my thousands of ignition conversions are made wrong...
You guys win, I'm done....
Y'all have a nice day, don't NOBODY except former customers call or send me engines...

Just for the record, I wasn't questioning the integrity of you or your ignition systems, Ralph. I was just trying to explain to some folks how we tend to think in terms of absolutes, when they should not be applied to anything without a rigorous series of tests.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Dr_Chuckie

Properly seating the sparkplug wire seems to have solved the problem. Ran the engine with zero interference. I will replace the thottle and nosegear steering linkage with nyrod anyway. Once everything is back together I will do some more testing and a good range check. Who knows, with any luck if the weather holds out I'll get to fly it this weekend! Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: Dr_Chuckie

Properly seating the sparkplug wire seems to have solved the problem. Ran the engine with zero interference. I will replace the thottle and nosegear steering linkage with nyrod anyway. Once everything is back together I will do some more testing and a good range check. Who knows, with any luck if the weather holds out I'll get to fly it this weekend! Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
always glad to help!!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 PM
rcacro

Glad we could help. Without the picutures it would have been much harder to diagnose.

John W.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
All Day Dan

Good news! That's what RCU can do for you. I wish I had it around when I needed it. Dan.

Name:	Fd91057.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1434121  
Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 AM
FNQFLYER

Any reliable hobby shop sells Dubro, and Sullivannyrods. Check out Airborne or RCMN andnote the addresses of places suchas Wings over the Downs, Col Taylors, Budget Hobbies Addies etc all have them
Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Dr_Chuckie

Just to let everyone know maidened the Topflite Cessna with the G20 today. All went well except that the engine quit on final. Landed a bit short of the runway and of course ripped the nosegear mounting block off the firewall. Oh well, at least I got rid of the interference issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.