Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Magnum XLS 52G

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 AM
erieqc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XLS 52G

I've seen where magnum came out with the 52g it looks very interesting but they are not giving out much info on it as far as the all up weight, oil ratio, very few specs. I was wondering if anyone knew much about it. I might have missed it somewhere.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum XLS 52G

The last that I read on this forum stated that the engine doesn't actually exist yet. How's that for pulling the old lead time trick to judge market acceptance?

Ed Cregger
Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I saw one at Toledo in April. Looked real to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwORv...layer_embedded

Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main question about the smaller Glow to gas engines, Do they have bushings or needle bearings on the crank, rod pin.??
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

With an engine this small and the ignition module about the same size as large engines, where would you put the ignition module? I guess if you use a smaller gas tank you could put it under or above the tank and wrap it in plastic, but is that safe?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

The main question about the smaller Glow to gas engines, Do they have bushings or needle bearings on the crank, rod pin.??

I doubt they need it. I understand they run fine on 5% oil, don't know about the rod.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 AM
NM2K

I do remember you saying that, now that you have reminded me.

I have one of the gas Magnum .52 engines backordered. I hope I get it in time to run/fly it this summer.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 AM
BadAzzMaxx

I have no personnel experience with them and only repeating what I have been reading for the last couple years from people that have done gas to glow conversion, They all say you have to run at least 18-20 to one or the bushings with fail, Gas engine run hotter than flow engines. ???
Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I doubt they need it. I understand they run fine on 5% oil, don't know about the rod.

It wasn't all that many years ago that close to all two-stroke consumer grade utility engines were running with a 16:1 ratio of fuel to oil. I was given an old Montgomery Wards chainsaw that smoked away when it ran. It is still running. All right, I'll confess. It was over half a century ago. It didn't seem that long ago, though.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Sport_Pilot

I have no personnel experience with them and only repeating what I have been reading for the last couple years from people that have done gas to glow conversion, They all say you have to run at least 18-20 to one or the bushings with fail, Gas engine run hotter than flow engines. ???

You would certainly have to use more oil, not just because of the rod bearing, but also because it is smaller, with a couple of scale factors making it need more oil. But 20% is what they recommend for all castor glow fuel, yet most people use 17% all synthetic oil with no problems, some have used 14% 4 stroke fuel by accident with no problems, and I have heard of people using 12% all synthetic on glow engines with no problems. Now methanol has less lubricity that water which is a fine lubricant for pumps, but gasoline has much more lubricity than water, so I would think 15 to 1 or even 20 to 1 (5%) would work without using ball bearings. I don't know what Magnum is recommending, but I think Fox is recomending 20 to 1.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I just saw a picture of the 52 in MAN. It looks OK, but what's the point? Depending on the airframe, I guess you could use the ignition and battery to balance the plane instead of lead. An 8cc gasser just doesn't seem right. Fuel savings and lack of oil mess would be the only reasons to buy one.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Different strokes for different folk's, Why do we spend money on these little stupid airpalnes, all they can do is fly around in the air. ???
Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

30-1 gas and oil sticks a SuprTigre 3000 rod to the crank...
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 AM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: Antique

30-1 gas and oil sticks a SuprTigre 3000 rod to the crank...
Sure does,Ask me how I no.
BCCHI
Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I guess we ent to different schools together, []I think the rod is still in my show and tell box...
along with some A&M and Air Hobbies parts...And a few 3W parts...
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Jezmo

Yep, 30:1 ain't enough on a two stroker, been there done that. 25:1 ain't enough either nor is 20:1 if you have a lean run. 16:1 has kept my ST90 and ST51 alive for almost 2 years on the 90 and almost 3 on the 51. My Saito 91 gets by just fine at 20:1 but since I have the 16:1 already blended for the two strokers I just end using that most of the time. I have run the Saito at 30:1 but very little oil comes out the case vent tube and what little comes out is very black so I don't run it at 30:1. (The Saito has never had a problem though even after the 30:1 runs) The oil is fairly clean coming out the vent at 20:1 Rimfires last about 35 to 40 hrs in the two strokers and the Chinese 1/4X32 plug lasts about the same if you get a good un.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 PM
wsantore
My Feedback: (8)

The engine does exist. Saw it in a trainer over the Memorial Day Weekend, and it ran well. The plane was used to give students and non-flyers time on a Buddy Box and flew all day (and probably all weekend). The flyer said that he had one of two engines that are being tested/checked out (not sure if he works for Hobby People or was just helping out). Not sure how close they are to release (a phone call to Hobby People would be the best bet there).
Old 06-12-2010, 05:01 AM
erieqc

I've read that they are looking at sometime in September. Ive PM Mike Greenshields at Hobby People and hopefully he will chime in and enlighten us a little. I also have PMed a gentleman that is flying this little engine in a trainer and here is some of his of qoutes. Since I've been running this engine for Mike I almost don't fly anything else. This engine is a real blast! The low end torque seems similar to a nitro engine, but that's just a feeling. Throttle response seems similar too. I'm able to hover the trainer, so it needs to be very responsive for that. I think it would work very well in a 3D plane. I stuck it in a trainer to add some excitement to the trainer. One of the things I've been requested to do is put plenty of air time on it. I train a lot of people, so it's been getting tons of air time like Mike said. This holiday weekend I put six more hours of flight time on it. My trainer weighs 100 oz. This includes two 5-cell battery packs, five servos (I have two in the wings so I can mix flap with the elevator like all trainers should have), receiver and ignition.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

What are you using for oil and %.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: ec121

I just saw a picture of the 52 in MAN. It looks OK, but what's the point? Depending on the airframe, I guess you could use the ignition and battery to balance the plane instead of lead. An 8cc gasser just doesn't seem right. Fuel savings and lack of oil mess would be the only reasons to buy one.

Some of you later modelers, AS (After Scale), have some learning to do about how unimportant every last gram is for plain old sport flying. We BS (Before Scale) modelers had a ball flying models with ridiculously high wing loadings.

I see that since the availability of cheap digital scales, many modelers seem to think that weighing things and picking the absolutely lightest component is some kind of engineering feat. Lighten up. Lose the scale and have some fun. You're not competing for world records, most of you.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 AM
lexam

I ended up flying 14 flights that day with the trainer. Each flight being about 14 minutes.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Some of you later modelers, AS (After Scale), have some learning to do about how unimportant every last gram is for plain old sport flying. We BS (Before Scale) modelers had a ball flying models with ridiculously high wing loadings.

I see that since the availability of cheap digital scales, many modelers seem to think that weighing things and picking the absolutely lightest component is some kind of engineering feat. Lighten up. Lose the scale and have some fun. You're not competing for world records, most of you.

Ed Cregger

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-26-2010, 03:00 AM
erieqc

lexam you should have a lot more flight time on this engine by know. How is it going have you replaced the spark plug yet. What voltage are you running to the ignition? Also you probably havent run the engine inverted I was wondering how that would work out along with a pitts style muffler?
Thanks Bill
Old 06-26-2010, 07:21 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ed Cregger
Well said my friend, so lets chalk up one for us old timers who really knew how to make do and have fun in this hobby.

Karol
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 AM
lexam

ORIGINAL: erieqc

lexam you should have a lot more flight time on this engine by know. How is it going have you replaced the spark plug yet. What voltage are you running to the ignition? Also you probably havent run the engine inverted I was wondering how that would work out along with a pitts style muffler?
Thanks Bill

Yes I have lot's of hours on the engine (Off the top of my head I think it's around 30 hour of air time. I do have a log file, but it's not with me right now). The engine is holding up very well. I too was concerned about the spark plug longevity, but so far the only wear I see is a slight amount of material that is now missing from the plug. Comparing the longevity to glow plugs it's not too bad (sure for some they last longer, but for many glow plugs don't last this long.

I'm running the ignition on a six volt (5 cell) 2000 mAh.

The engine has always been in the same plane, but I would be happy to start the plane upside down to give you some feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.