Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Seagull Edge 540 60 with DLE20 - My Setup and pics...

DLE 20 with stock CDI from RcEXL
Prop 17x6 APC
RcEXL Optokill
LiFe 2300 with double output - straight to Rx and with 2x!N4001 in series for the CDI ( i have used this on 50 flights with my Extra 260)
Miracle Twin switch with fuel Dot from SDhobby
HD Power MG946R servos x 5 and a futaba 3152 for throttle
FrSky 8 ch. Rx with module on a Futaba 10C
Bolt on Horns with Ball links on all surfaces NOT the stock plastic ones.
300 ml (10 Oz) clear fuel tank with 2 lines and Walbro felt clunk.

Check out the RPM - 8920 RPM on a 17*6 APC sports prop.

Nice neat installation. Sorry about your muffler. I would suggest your replacing your spinner with an all aluminum one or at least one with an aluminum backplate. Many have said all plastic is not a good idea with gas engines.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sandyjain,

Most of it looks very good. Just a few areas of concern though.

The photo of the (bent) muffler;

1) First off remove the eng idle stop screw and let your tx control the idle. Can't kill the eng with a throttle kill if the idle screw is blocking the throttle from fully closing. That should be your first means of killing the gas eng, then the ign kill next.

2) That Hall Sensor pickup wire is gonna end up rubbing itself bare (dead eng). Drill a hole through the alumn eng mount and zip tie the wire down, AFTER wrapping the wire. Your eng came with some semi clear spiral wrap, good place to use such.

3) What dented the muffler?

I too, agree with spaceworm about the spinner.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM
sandyjain

@spaceworm: Richard The AL spinner is already on its way to me. Thanks for pointing out.
@a1pcfixer: Will remove the idle screw. I have not removed it but it is not doing anything as it is very loose. I can kill the engine by the throttle trim.
The hall sensor wire will be tied asap. Thanx for pointing out.

This DLE20 was in an extra 260 - i have posted earler in this thread - that crashed due to a faulty elevator servo that got stuck in up position on takeoff !! The muffler got dented there but still works... I am looking for a spare DLE20 muffler :-)
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

You're doing good!

Next, range check it with eng off, then with eng running,
then go fly the daylights out of your new toy!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Cherokee Flyer

Has anybody run a Graupner 14x7 - 3 Blade Prop on their DLE-20? More importantly, have you flown it and on what?

Thanks

L.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:46 PM
sandyjain

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

You're doing good!

Next, range check it with eng off, then with eng running,
then go fly the daylights out of your new toy!!!
Already done Sir.... Flys well. The CG is at 115 and the model seemed a tad tail heavy But after the cowl and the spinner I guess should be OK.
I am using the FrSky Module on my Futaba 10C and the 8 Ch Rx. This will my 4th model with the set up narry a problem.....

Thanx for the tips....
Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 AM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys I need some expert help here:

I got my DLE 20 as 1st gasser about 1 month ago and is still being broken in, done about 1/2 gallon 1:32 mix. Measured 9.300 on a 16x8 wooden prop, mounted on a Funtana 125 performed really well.

Today it wouldn't start which has never happened before, normally it would fire after 5-6 flips with choke on and would start after another 5-6 flips with choke off.
I haven't touched the needles, but noticed that the carb was getting flooded and dripped fuel with throttle at idle and choke off. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and used an electric starter, and sure enough it started for a couple of seconds burning all the fuel from the carb. Reconnected the fuel line and same again, fuel dripping from carb and it wouldn't start.

Is the carb faulty? I tried blowing air through a fuel line to the carb fuel inlet with throttle closed and I could hear air hissing through somewhere ... is that normal?

Any help appreciated

Nick
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No it is not normal

There is a piece of trash holding the metering valve needle and seat open or there is something about the the metering diaphragm (Steel cover) that is pushing it down and holding the needle open.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:25 AM
w1nd6urfa

Yep, there were some specs of aluminum on the metering lever, now it moves freely and closes OK.

Hope that was it, goin out to test it

Thanks w8ye
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

w1nd6urfa - do you have a fuel filter installed? I forgot to install one initially and had carb trouble - turns out there was lots of gunk in the two filter-screens inside the carb.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM
w1nd6urfa

Problem solved, started immediately and had a good flight

microdon, I use a felt clunk filter - didn't find any gunk in the carb apart from the alum scapes that must have been left over from the machining of the carb?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

Paired a new DLE 20 w/a sig four star 120. Built the 120 over the winter from a kit. After much work and prep, I was ready to maiden the plane and break in the DLE 20, fingers crossed, since both weren't previously tested.
A few flips and the engine came to life. I have to say this little engine is a beast and has good thrust. Just flip n fly. Very little tuning required. The engine pulled the 120 w/authority. The plane leaped into the air after 15 ft. Some right thrust. I did use a CM-6 spark plug as suggested by so many on this thread. This engine just sips fuel and it feels like I can fly forever.
This is a great pair. The power is just perfect for this plane. Well, the original plane was designed for a glow of similar size, but I don't have any experience w/the latter so I can't compare.
DLE-20 = flip n fly
SIG 4*120 = great plane w/well mannered characteristics
DLE-20 + SIG 4*120 = win win
Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
mesaflyer

WindGap,
I have a Four Star 120 with a CRRC 26. Too bad we are so far apart. Would love to do a side by side comparison. Would be interesting to see if after the DLE is broke in, it would out perform the CRRC. My guess is that the DLE would be a little stronger. Mine will pull straight up for awhile, but not unlimited.

Did you have to cut the front cheeks off? I did, because of the side carb and exhaust. Didn't really care though, I built this for my intro into gassers, and wanted an open cowl, Sunday flyer.

I also have the DLE 20 in a GP Extra 300, and it has about 3/4 gallon of gas through it. Seems to be getting stronger every flight. Nice engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83256.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1602533  
Old 05-01-2011, 05:03 PM
ghoffman

I got some time on the DLE-20 Velox today. What a blast, if there is a better plane/engine combo, please let me know. I was using a Vess 17-8 prop and on the 8 pound plane it was alot of fun!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

WindGap,
I have a Four Star 120 with a CRRC 26. Too bad we are so far apart. Would love to do a side by side comparison. Would be interesting to see if after the DLE is broke in, it would out perform the CRRC. My guess is that the DLE would be a little stronger. Mine will pull straight up for awhile, but not unlimited.

Did you have to cut the front cheeks off? I did, because of the side carb and exhaust. Didn't really care though, I built this for my intro into gassers, and wanted an open cowl, Sunday flyer.

I also have the DLE 20 in a GP Extra 300, and it has about 3/4 gallon of gas through it. Seems to be getting stronger every flight. Nice engine.
Mesaflyer, I have a 4*120 ARF that started out with a SPE 26cc that had similar performance to yours. I switched out the SPE and installed a MLD 28cc - about 1k more rpm on the same prop and now have unlimited vertical (well, at least as far as I can see it!).
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 AM
jsallade

This little motor is very interesting in that I don't know how to correlate what has been reported here versus the manufacturer recommendations.

In both the larger gassers and small glows I have experience with... you don't want them reving to high (running a lower load prop than recommended) as that path tends to lead to early end of life... and similarly if you run a prop larger in load (load ~equal dia raised to the 4th x pitch) than those recommended you get quickly beyond the power band and the engine lugs and gets hot and very bad things occur.

I have to believe this is true here as well yet several folks are reporting running 18x6 and 17x8 props and quite happy with them... both well above the range of recommended props for this engine. On the other hand I have never seen a "do not exceed" RPM rating nor any sort of power/torque curve so not sure what to shoot for in this case...

None of this interferes with my enjoyment of my DLE-20 lugging around my 10+ lb RV-4 ... just curious if anyone else is thinking on these same lines. Clearly "we" collectively have decided that the manufacturer is being too conservative with their recommendations... or we are missing the boat in that the engine should be propped to spin 9.5-10k plus rather than 8-8.5k that most of us are using/seeing. Maybe it would be even better up there???

Just thinking out loud... Another reason to love this hobby... tinkering with such things and coming up with even better "performance"... whatever that means to you!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
alex_scratch_built

Hi,
I think I might have a glazing problem but I am not sure.
I have about 1/2 a gallon through it and the cylinder surface seams kinda polished.  I still see the X marks in the cylinder but the last 2 times I flew, I did not feel any difference in behavior or compression.

Also, the temps here are in the 70s and my LS is at 1.1 but for my HS I need 1.25 for the engine to run well.  Is this too lean on the HS or could I lean it even more?

How do you know if you have a glazing issue?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
ghealey

I have found the DLE20 to be a ripper!! From the fist start it has run really well. Minimul vibration and heaps of power on a 16x8 Turnigy wood prop. I built a model to test it out. 6' span based very loosely on the Stirling Gazariator. Weighs around 6lb and any thoughts about not enough power were way off the mark. It uses very little fuel and in Australia it comes with a kill switch / isolation module so the model has only 1 battery. I reckon if gas engines like this continue to come along I can retire some glow engines!!

Name:	Xv65151.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1603877  
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Antique

No such thing as glazing, the finish should be mirror smooth...A rough cylinder will wear out the ring/s in short order...These are not cast iron cylinder engines where the cylinders start out honed and wear smooth, the cylinders start out smooth and the rings wear in...
We have been through this many times...There is no such thing as honing chrome or nikasil cylinders to get the rings to seat...
Forget all you ever knew about honing cylinders, model airplane gassers are a completely different animal....
Flame suit on [>:]
Google "careful with that hone, Eugene" You can disagree with him too
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
afjetmech

Well here is what Ihave with only a gallon into mine. Started it this past Saturday at a flyin and she idles rough for about 20 seconds, then bang, just quit. Prop spun around freely so Iknew something broke. Figured it was the crank pin as Ididn't here anything rattling around when turning the crankshaft. Just got around to tearing it apart tonight. Pretty sure this is a clear case of warranty coverage.

Name:	Pn37768.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1603942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64355.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1603943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72198.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1603944  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
ghoffman

What oil and ratio was this?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
afjetmech

30:1 just like the manual says. Main needle has never been leaner than 1 and 1/2 turns from closed. Piston still looks new as it should. Was running pretty good up to this point. Iwas getting ready to try to lean it just a little more as Iseemed to be getting some carbon buildup on the plug. Low needle was 1 and 1/4 turns out. Had to be a faulty pin.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM
microdon2

afjetmech - I had the same thing happen to my DLE20 - the crank shaft broke in mid flight, at the exact spot that yours did - the aft-end of the crank shaft, that inserts into the "Needle Bearing for the Connecting Rod". I thought the break might have been caused by a nose-in crash I had a month before, so I didn't send it to Tower for warranty coverage - instead I sent mine to Jody at Vally View RC to be fixed. After inspection Jody told me that this break was not caused by my crash, and that it would have been covered under warranty. So it looks like the DLE20 might have a systemic flaw on this part. Just wondering how many others are having this problem.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
afjetmech

Sending mine in tomorrow. This has never been crashed. Never even scraped the prop while running.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
microdon2

Just found this thread on the same problem, but with the DLE 111, back in early 2010. The suspicion in this thread was that DLE had a problem or bad batch of needle bearings.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/a...p/t-50341.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.