Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ: great parts service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Skyflyer
My Feedback: (122)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ: great parts service?

[>:]What a bummer! I called Troybuilt to see about buying a replacement plastic bracket for my ZDZ 50. The bracket holds the ignition sensor in place over the crankshaft magnet.
I was told they were no longer stocked because ZDZ did away with that engine design. No suggestions...nada...finito! You pay almost $500 for an engine, fly your plane a few time and then, toss the engine in the aluminum recycle bin because of a lousy chunk of plastic?
This certainly gives a new meaning to "customer service" don't it? I'll think twice before buying another ZDZ and maybe, buying from Troybuilt as well. Does anyone out there know where I might buy one of these brackets?

Thanks!

Jerry
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: ZDZ: great parts service?

send me a pic of what that looks like i will check my stash of plane stuff to see if i can help i guess its time to sell ZDZ stuff if you have it
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

You can use a screw type hose clamp for the sensor. Will cost you maybe a dollar. It will hold just fine. Just don't crush the sensor. I know what you mean about TBM. They once charged me $11 shipping for an $18 Hitec servo that could have been dropped in a padded envelope with two stamps. I didn't order anthing else from them for 3 years. Even now they are my last resort supplier.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well as a guy who has several ZDZ's, I wasn't too happy when TroyBuilt picked up the ZDZ franchise from RCS. I kind of figured this would happen based on recent experiences with TroyBuilt as well as what I've seen on various forums about how things have changed at that business.

For what it's worth, the engines are still being made and I think you can actually buy stuff from ZDZ directly although I'm betting the shipping charges will be a bit much. The other thing is that those plastic mounts come with the ignitions and I don't know if they are sold separately or not? Seems like I tried to pull the sensor out of one to see if I could get away with a smaller hole in a firewall and the experience was quite a hassle IIRC but it's been a long time.

http://www.zdz-modelmotor.cz/en/

If you do wind up looking at a new ignition, you may want to consider going with a CH unit from the folks out in Wyoming and they'll also change out the sparkplug type/cap if you want so you don't have to run that nasty tapered thread setup ZDZ uses, uses a CM-6 like DA.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Skyflyer

Thanks, Zeeb. that sounds like a viable option. I'm glad that I'm not the only bloke who's gotten a short shrift in the past from TBM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have a ZDZ80. That is why I suggested the hose clamp fix. Unless things have changed in the last few months, C-H sells the universal ignition unit as a ZDZ replacement. They didn't have a machined bracket for my 80. The universal unit uses a hose clamp. I thought I was having ignition trouble and it was the battery. That is when I bought the unit from them.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Zeeb

Been too long since I saw it so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this thought, but I have friend who had issues with the sparkplug threads in the head of a ZDZ-80RV. He sent the whole engine off to Terry and they put in the helicoil and either swapped out the sparkplug wire end for the different plug or replaced the whole ignition at the same time. I thought that if you send them the engine for the ignition conversion, you get a cleaner setup for the sensor as well?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Skyflyer

Thanks...I'll visit their website. Jerry
Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
arobatx

Get em on the phone....you'll be glad you did.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Oilsands

There is an adapter you can buy that fits in the cylinder and allows you to use a cm6 sparkplug. You will need to buy a new ignition or at least a cap to replace the one you have. All can be bought from CH ignitions.
Cheapest option may be to buy a pickup sensor from CH or Recexl which comes with a bracket and mount that on the motor. You may have to drill and tap the holes so that you can get the right timing, also need to check and make sure the sensor detects the magnet (some work on N pole and some S pole). I believe CH sells all the stuff.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:53 AM
e730015

Anyone knows where I can find a zdz 100b2 ng carb rebuild kit?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:16 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

google the carb name and number.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Zeeb

Friend of mine just bought the ZDZ import/distribution rights for ZDZ from TBM. You'll be able to expect a lot different experience with CS now. I'm not sure exactly where he's at on the setup of the new facility but he's got a webpage; http://zdzusa.com/