Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

US 41 cc..... ever use it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 12:14 AM
rcs36
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US 41 cc..... ever use it?

Has anyone ever used the US 41 cc engine in a giant scale aircraft and how did you like it? I just bought a Top Flite P-51 1/5 scale with a US 41 cc in it.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:16 AM
mdmaurer
My Feedback: (1)

I've never owned one, but I saw a Top Flite giant P-51 fly a few weeks ago with a US-41 in it. This was at a field elevation of about 3000'. The plane had retracts and was fully decked out (not light). I thought it wouldn't have enough engine, but was pleasantly surprised. It flew great! Not unlimited vertical or anything like that, but seemed to have plenty of power for all the scale maneuvers you would expect out of a P-51. It wasn't underpowered at all, unless you need to fly all the pattern and 3D maneuvers. But that's not what a big beautiful warbird like this is for! I think it was a good match.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:54 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long is the engine from firewall to prop hub. I have a Brian Tayor corsair I got at a swap meet a few weeks ago thats 5 3/8" from firewall to edge of the cowl. So I figure 6" ought to do it. The specs I've read show it to be 6" long. But a guy in the club has on that I'm thinking of buying that he says measures 7 1/2". Anybody confirm that!
Edwin
Old 04-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 3 different length prop hubs you can buy. Try US Engines or Quadra.
Dont fly or yawn during a sandstorm !!!
Old 04-08-2002, 04:16 PM
beepee

rcs36,

If memory serves, I think it is about 6-1/2" from back of prop to back of mount extension. The mount extension makes room for the rear mounted muffler.

Bedford
Old 04-13-2002, 01:05 AM
fokkerflier

Put one of these engines in a Ziroli 1/4 scale Triplane (14 lbs.) and then in an 85" P51 scratched from a set of Dick Sarpolis plans (19 lbs.). Both were mounted inverted. They never failed to start easily, though they like a lot of choke. Never missed a beat and I would rate these engines very good value for the money. I have since went to Fox engines only because of the weight difference. and nothing to do with satisfaction of the motor.
My 41s seemed to do the best on a 20 x 6 glass prop. As far as power, they do very well.

Wes
Old 04-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default US-41

I also had one in a Ziroli tripe, good combo, great idle.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:21 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the spec sheet for the US 41 on the Tower Hobby web site,and Im sure the engine dimensions will be there....
This engine is a development of the Quadra 35 that pretty much started the gas movement.Its easy starting ,reliable and good value for your money particularly since it includes a bell mount and spring starter,but its heavy by todays standards,and uses a magneto ignition with fixed timing,rather than an electronic ignition.
You pays yer money...........