Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MVVS 1.60 Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 02:29 PM
JimRoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 1.60 GFS and the new Red Head version IFS?

I cant tell from the ads at Morris Hobbies.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:58 PM
f2racer

Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

Don't know about the 1.6, but the promotional e-mail that I got from them said the following in regards to the 2.15:

They are from the latest MVVS production run and feature an all-new Vlach electronic ignition with dual magnets for precision spark timing and a new “hotter” ignition program. Graphite coated piston is standard - along with chrome plated steel liner for more power and better heat dissipation. A re-timed ignition, crankshaft and liner for even more performance, and maroon anodized head and drive washer! New Style Walbro pumped carb is even larger on this version for more power throughout the entire power curve.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:34 AM
JimRoss

Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the new Red Head was any better. Now I know.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:04 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

Trying to get solid information on these engines is like trying to pull teeth with tweezers. It just ain't gonna happen.

Obviously, there is a large market out there for gas burners that are powerful, small and light enough to power 1.20 size models. I am surprised that someone in the US has not jumped at the opportunity to fill this niche with a more consistent and user friendly product. As it is, we are lucky to receive whatever leftovers there are from the latest MVVS production run.

I am not blaming anyone stateside for their performance to date, as I do not understand the circumstances, but this is a market opening for the right person with the right product at the right price. Nature abhors a vacuum. Come on America - fill it!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

I agree with you Artisan. There is a huge market to convert 120 glow to gas engine. I am gonna put MVVS1.6 or 3W24 on my Extra CA 24%300L.
26CC for 42.1oz is unbeatable like the MVVS1.6!

RCS 1.40 Engine is 850.49g (30 oz.)
Ignition is 116.23g (4.1 oz.)
RCS inverted Pitts muffler is 153.08g (5.4 oz.)

MVVS 1.60:
Engine is 932.70g (32.9 oz.)
Ignition is 107.73g (3.8 oz.)
Bisson Pitts muffler is 153.08g (5.4 oz.)

I read some bad comments on RCU with MVVS owners. They seem to be difficult to start. Perhaps the new design resolved it??

Scoubidou
Old 07-29-2003, 01:14 PM
f2racer

Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

Don't compare a MVVS 1.6 to a RCS 1.4, the MVVS is as powerful if not more than the RCS 1.8. And probably weighs at least 10 oz less with muffler...

The problem in regards to availability, at least in the case of MVVS, is that they're actually a pretty small manufacturer. Their current production capacity can't keep up with demand. And remember these guys produce glow engines as their bread and butter. They can probably sell only a fraction of 1.6 gas as they can .49 glow, so guess what they make.

Things should change soon though. I've heard that the current owners are looking to upgrade their production capacity by 2x to meet the demands of a world market. They've also seen the future (and the future is gas) and rapidly developed a 58cc and are looking to produce even larger models.

I bought both the MVVS 26cc and 35cc. I've only started breaking in the 35cc, but it runs great. Between following the limited instructions on the manual (pamphlet), calling Morris a couple of times for clarification, and the info that Pé Reivers gives here and here. My 35cc started on the 3rd flip, so it's by no means hard to start....
Old 07-29-2003, 07:33 PM
JimRoss

Default MVVS 1.60 Gas

Just as I suspected, no one was listening.
I asked what the difference between a MVVS 1.6 GFS and the Red Head IFS engines was.

The true answer is the GFS is the glo version and the red head IFS is the gas/ignition version. See what you can learn from talking to the distributor......