56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Zenoah G20 or DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G20 or DLE20

I am aware of the differences in weight (approx 11oz.) and the other pros/cons of each engine. I am looking for input from others as to what your choice would be. I am looking to get a 20cc gasser to replace the 4strk 1.00-1.25 kits/planes that I have and can't seem to make up my mind. I like the small footprint of the DLE but I am drawn to the long history of the Zenoah line up. Having several Zenoahs allready, I know how nicely they are constructed and the quality that is there not to mention the reliability/longevity. My experience with DL (while running good, the quality wasn't there and I had to helicoil the spark plug threads due to soft aluminum that gave out). The casting was terrible as well. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing just stating what I observed in my personal experience. So.... does one go for the larger footprint, slightly heavier engine that has a solid history and excellent craftmenship or the yet to be released, smaller, lighter and no history engine based on what has held true with the 30cc version? Decisions, decisions!
Discuss?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G20 or DLE20

If you get the Zenoah, sooner or later, you will get tired of the Zenoah ignition system and its high current draw and change it out for a RCEXL like is on the DLE.

So add the price of a RCEXL ignition to the price of the Zenoah.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Moki 1.8
My Feedback: (11)

Ive never owned a Zenoah and im not going to bash them. I know several guys that have them a they run like a top. Im on my third dle engine, I bought a dl-50 and put that on a 50cc Extra 260 and the engine was a monster, not a single problem with it. I bought a dle-55 and put that on a 35cc Extra 260 and not a single problem with it either. I just bought a dle-30 and mounted that on a taylorcraft and its a little monster for its size. Im hooked on dle engines. After christmas im going to order another dle-30 for the 30cc Aeroworks Edge 540 thats coming out. I think for the price they are some awesome engines and they seem to be holding up really well. You know in the past ive read threads with people bashing dle's and talking about there bad experience with them, then I got to thinking, you never know what that person has done with that engine and what they have put it through. So you cant believe everything you hear. Personally I wouldnt be affraid to buy another one, they have proven there self to me.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
marcus doobus
My Feedback: (3)

I have a DLE 30 & 55. They start & run great! I have no problems with them at all. They are quiet powerful! I know the owner & emplyees of Aeroworks pretty well. They are members of our club, and they are located down the street from where I work. So, I drop in from time to time to say Hi and look around. I was told by one of the employees I know well: "He has never seen them come back so excited from a test flight"!. They put one of the new DLE20's in a smaller (120) version of one of their Extra's.... They were very impressed. Now please keep in mind that I am NOT speaking for Aeroworks, only what I heard.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

If you go to the toni-clark website you can get the REAL story on the ignition....
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

antique is dead right! Be sure to read this very detailed manual on the G20 engine. You can also apply some of this good advise to a lot of engines....you know the how to things for best results!

I think I will try the 3...not ...4 cell Nicad battery pack. Read & you will see why. Capt,n<hr />http://www.toni-clark.com/ftp/ZG20_en.pdf
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
w8ye

Ralph,

Is this what you are talking about on the G-20 ignition?

Original: Toni Clark

For the first time Komatsu Zenoah is using a high performance micro processor battery ignition with automatic timing advancement, specially developed for this engine. This ignition unit is unusually powerful and this makes for very easy hand starting. The high tension cable is well screened with a metal plug cap. We fit the ignition module with a CNC-milled base for protecting the wires and to provide an easy installation in the model.

Zenoah Ignition current consumption

Ignition current consumption at: 3,7V Lipo 4,8V NiMh
At tickover 2000 U/min 1,1A 1,4A
Above 4,500 RPM up to max. revs 1,6A 2,2A
With engine still 45mA 55mA

The current consumption of the Zenoah ignition unit is certainly a lot more than is so with other model aircraft ignition units, but the Zenoah unit runs perfectly with a single cell Lipo. Energy consumption is exactly the same, whether a ignition unit is run with 2 Lipo cells at 0,8A or the Zenoah ignition is run on a single cell with 1,6A. With the Zenoah ignition there is a big difference compared to the usual "model engine" ignitions, the professional Zenoah construction team decided on a hotter spark rather than a unit with the lowest possible current drain. In the Lipo era Zenoah's path is without doubt the better option. The Zenoah unit is so powerful it can give a spark that easily jumps 4 cm, this explains the superb ease of starting and running characteristics of the Titan ZG20.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will keep my G20, since it will be running long after the DLE's are extinct.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
captinjohn

For the size of battery & current draw.....see page #7. For you guys that want to lear more...read all 22 pages. lots of good solid advice.<hr />http://www.toni-clark.com/ftp/ZG20_en.pdf<hr />Capt,n
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
flygilmore

Hmmmm, closer than what I thought at this point....I am going to read the bit on Toni's site. Thanks for that tidbit!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
flygilmore

Ok, so read the bit on his site and that has me leaning even more towards the tried and true little G20!! From what I gather, one should either use a single cell lipo or a 3cell NiMH/Nicad pack to lower the consumption rate and make it more reasonable as a 4th cell is not needed on aircraft use. I just wonder if my Triton II will charge just a single lipo cell??? Any other insight users would like to give?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note also in Toni Clarks manual that he does NOT recommend the CM6 spark plug, saying that although it looks the same as the supplied Champion, they are NOT the same. Anyone know the difference? Thanks.

Regards,

Richard
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
w8ye

I think the Champion Y-82 is a longer reach?

Denso U20M-U?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
w8ye

Champion Y-82 10mm Thread Size, 6.35mm (1/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Non-Resistor, Heat Range 82

NGK CM6 10mm Thread Size, 8.6mm (.339") Reach, 9/16" (14.3mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Non-Resistor, Solid Terminal Nut, .016" (0.4mm) Gap, Heat Range 6

Denso U20-U 10mm Thread 14mm Hex 8.6mm reach Same heat range as the CM-6 U-cut Ground Electrode
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

Ok, so read the bit on his site and that has me leaning even more towards the tried and true little G20!! From what I gather, one should either use a single cell lipo or a 3cell NiMH/Nicad pack to lower the consumption rate and make it more reasonable as a 4th cell is not needed on aircraft use. I just wonder if my Triton II will charge just a single lipo cell??? Any other insight users would like to give?
<hr />I bought a 18 volt battery pack at Harbor Freight. I took it apart (just remove 6 or more screws. In-side was 15 Sanyo Kr 1300 sc cells. That will maketwo(2) 4 cell packs & (2) 3 cell packs and haveone extra cell left over. The 18 volt ack was on sale for about $10, a real deal! They can be charged fairly quick also. The long tabs can be cut with tin snips and punch a hole in the tab to solder wire on. If you cut in the right place...you will only need to solder 2 wires to your connector. Capt,n
Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Measured reach on BOTH Denso and CM6 is .405-.430..without the washer, from the flat face of the plug thread to the end of the side electrode..Measured with a digital caliper with .001 resolution...Don't believe all you read on the spark plug website...As to the Y82, don't have one here, but 1/4 inch reach would leave about 3 threads left after the gasket was put on, hardly enough to keep it in the head....
Old 09-02-2010, 04:36 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

[
<hr />I bought a 18 volt battery pack at Harbor Freight. I took it apart (just remove 6 or more screws. In-side was 15 Sanyo Kr 1300 sc cells. That will make two (2) 4 cell packs & (2) 3 cell packs and have one extra cell left over. The 18 volt ack was on sale for about $10, a real deal! They can be charged fairly quick also. The long tabs can be cut with tin snips and punch a hole in the tab to solder wire on. If you cut in the right place...you will only need to solder 2 wires to your connector. Capt,n
[/quote]

Thank you. I just got a new flyer from HF today and the 18 volt battery pack is $9.99. Plus, I have a 20% off coupon so that will make the pack $8.00 plus tax!!! WOW! I think the 20% coupon is availabe on line; I got mine from the Sunday paper.

Thanks again Captinjohn.

Regards, Richard
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Antique

Measured reach on BOTH Denso and CM6 is .405-.430..without the washer, from the flat face of the plug thread to the end of the side electrode..Measured with a digital caliper with .001 resolution...Don't believe all you read on the spark plug website...As to the Y82, don't have one here, but 1/4 inch reach would leave about 3 threads left after the gasket was put on, hardly enough to keep it in the head....
Ralph, I would believe your actual measurements over anything else.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
captinjohn

spacemanI mean spaceworm, the pack I bought was for a electric drill. I do not know what the lantern pack has inside. Drills take a pretty good pack to run but a lantern may just sip electrons. You may want to check before you buy. Capt,n
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I do not know what the lantern pack has inside. Drills take a pretty good pack to run but a lantern may just sip electrons. You may want to check before you buy. Capt,n
Oh no!! Not the old 6v battery hack!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgDffMcsUU[/youtube]
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM
spaceworm

spaceman[img][/img] I mean spaceworm, the pack I bought was for a electric drill. I do not know what the lantern pack has inside. Drills take a pretty good pack to run but a lantern may just sip electrons. You may want to check before you buy. Capt,n
Hi Captinjohn. The battery pack I was referring to at H. F. is the pack for the set of drills, etc, likely the same one you had taken apart. I was hoping it is NiMh, but NiCad is OK and actually is (was) recommended for the ignition system I have. I will find out later today. Thanks again.

Regards, Richard