RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   OS GT33 33cc gasser (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10587664-os-gt33-33cc-gasser.html)

MTK 02-12-2012 09:28 AM

RE: OS GT33 33cc gasser

Well the RCU moster server double posted me

wyo69cowboy 02-13-2012 01:01 PM

In the video, you can see an exit halfway down the fuse with black residue behind it. I think they are running some sort of canister setup; in the sidebar videos, there was a video of the engine and a canister-style setup from the same user.

MTK 02-13-2012 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jnred123

Matt
Thanks that does help, sounds pretty good might be worth a try.
The only one I've played with is a thing called a PTE36 which is a rear exhaust 36cc Chinese jigger, only had about 20 flights on it and it went OK on the standard muffler but I am about to try it with a mvvs tuned pipe in a better airframe but it sounds like the OS might be a bit stronger and would be better built I guess as well.
Cheers
Greg
Greg,

I hear from some folks who are in the know that the PTE36 is not quite as good in both quality and power. I don't have personal experience with the 36 so I can't say for certain.

If you do get an OS, I would be interested in comparative results. The PTE has the rear exhaust feature which makes it ideal for pattern. Really wish OS will come out with the same in their 33

jnred123 02-13-2012 01:45 PM

Matt
I'll let you know how the PTE36 goes with the pipe.
The little bloke on one shoulder likes to test and experiment with new stuff and the sensible little bloke on the other shoulder says just stump up the cash for a DZ175CDI and a heap of fuel and go practice.
My number one plane is an Oxai AstralXX/DZ160 so I won't be able to compare to a DZ170/175.
Got a new Integral to build and just kicking around engine options, gut feel is the PTE36 won't make it but I'll give it a fair go in this other airframe anyway.
The other thing is on the Integral you have to fabricate a pipe tunnel for anything long, the Hatori just fits.
Cheers
Greg

airborne2.4 02-13-2012 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

in the sidebar videos, there was a video of the engine and a canister-style setup from the same user.
Could this be it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOPBy0K8HiA

wyo69cowboy 02-13-2012 02:55 PM

That's the one I watched; guess they were two different usernames, but both had "RC Depot" in common. Wish they woulda posted some figures like prop, rpm, etc...

airborne2.4 02-13-2012 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Wish they woulda posted some figures like prop, rpm, etc...
Yep, wish they would have post some numbers.

MTK 02-14-2012 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: jnred123

Matt
I'll let you know how the PTE36 goes with the pipe.
The little bloke on one shoulder likes to test and experiment with new stuff and the sensible little bloke on the other shoulder says just stump up the cash for a DZ175CDI and a heap of fuel and go practice.
My number one plane is an Oxai AstralXX/DZ160 so I won't be able to compare to a DZ170/175.
Got a new Integral to build and just kicking around engine options, gut feel is the PTE36 won't make it but I'll give it a fair go in this other airframe anyway.
The other thing is on the Integral you have to fabricate a pipe tunnel for anything long, the Hatori just fits.
Cheers
Greg
Greg, Thanks,

I had to put a pipe tunnel in my new model also. The way I did it was fairly easy and light. I carved a piece of blue fanfold foam and glassed it. Very easy actually since the foam carves beautifully. I'd bet that foamy foam would work as well. I vacuum packed the glass and foam for a better bond and then installed it on a set of balsa rails I had super glued in the fuse. All up weight gain was 25 grams for a pipe tunnel that is 7 1/2" X 32". Thickness of the foam was 2mm.

The engine that's going into the new plane is a DLE55, not the OS33GT. Not that the 33 wouldn't work; on the contrary I think it would work well and it would shave around 12 ounces or so off the model. For smaller props tho

The DLE offers me opportunity to use "large 3 blade props" which provide excellent sound suppression and terrific downline brakes. And because of the large disc area and large thrust available at lower rpm, I should be able to fly the model slowly with as good authority as the best electrics, except better since I won't see any power loss at the end of the flight. That's the result anyway from some of the testing I've done on a different airframe with the DLE.

Really hard to beat the very best electric set-ups for speed control and low speed authority. However, this set-up will give me everything I think, since I just love the sound of internal combustion .....

FLYING-HIGH2 03-11-2012 06:28 AM

so how do you guy's like the OS 33GT so far?

RHarding 03-11-2012 05:05 PM

I just purchased a OS GT33 and am prepping a plane for it. Do any of you fellows who have been running one have a handle on fuel consumption considering half would be at full throttle and the other half at half to one third throttle?

Thanks,
Richard

MTK 03-11-2012 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: RHarding

I just purchased a OS GT33 and am prepping a plane for it. Do any of you fellows who have been running one have a handle on fuel consumption considering half would be at full throttle and the other half at half to one third throttle?

Thanks,
Richard
Aside from some early trouble I had with mine (broken backplate, a casting flaw probably), the 33GT has run just great. I have mine piped and soft mounted and have run the following props:
18x10, MDK hybrid (I make these; outrageous rpm, much too high to be useful to me and loud)
18.1x10 (apc, clearly not enough load, terrific rpm)
18x12 MDK hybrid (rpm down around 7800 with great authority and power , just a bit loud)
19x10 (laminated Xoar, okay performance a bit loud)
19x11 apc (my current favorite, mid throttle rpm 6800; full throttle rpm 7550 rpm, outstanding power for an 11 pound plane, good speed control quietest of all other props I have tried)
20x10 ZDZ (only bench ran this one, around 7100 rpm when engine was brand new; making a 20x10 MDK hybrid and will have numbers in next couple months)

18x10 Mezjlik 3 blader carbon, (good all around prop but not enough pitch or load, 7700 rpm, and louder than I expected. An 18x12 3 blader would be much better)

I have a 14 oz tank in mine and flight time is around 16 minutes. I work throttle constantly in pattern so I'd say the flight time is at half throttle average time or around 70-80% power

k4lm 03-12-2012 07:04 AM

Richard,

I havea 12oz tank and fly for about 10 min. I usually have 1/3 of a tank left flying mostly 1/2 throttle with the OS muffler. A 14oz tank would insure you not running out of gas. Just make sure you have a kill switch!

Vant

CashD 03-12-2012 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: MTK

Aside from some early trouble I had with mine (broken backplate, a casting flaw probably), the 33GT has run just great. I have mine piped and soft mounted and have run the following props:
18x10, MDK hybrid (I make these; outrageous rpm, much too high to be useful to me and loud)
18x12 MDK hybrid (rpm down around 7800 with great authority and power , just a bit loud)
19x11 apc (my current favorite, mid throttle rpm 6800; full throttle rpm 7550 rpm, outstanding power for an 11 pound plane, good speed control quietest of all other props I have tried)
20x10 ZDZ (only bench ran this one, around 7100 rpm when engine was brand new; making a 20x10 MDK hybrid and will have numbers in next couple months)

18x10 Mezjlik 3 blader carbon, (good all around prop but not enough pitch or load, 7700 rpm, and louder than I expected. An 18x12 3 blader would be much better)

I have a 14 oz tank in mine and flight time is around 16 minutes. I work throttle constantly in pattern so I'd say the flight time is at half throttle average time or around 70-80% power
Wow! Thanks for the prop information. I just ordered one of these to put in a CAP 232 I used to have a Saito 180 in. Looks like I may need to re-think my propellar choice as it looks like this engine will turn more prop than I was expecting.

Given your comments on the 19x11 apc two blade and the 18x10 mezjlik 3 blade, Iam now wondering about a 3 blade biela in around 18x10.

MTK 03-12-2012 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: CashD

Wow! Thanks for the prop information. I just ordered one of these to put in a CAP 232 I used to have a Saito 180 in. Looks like I may need to re-think my propellar choice as it looks like this engine will turn more prop than I was expecting.

Given your comments on the 19x11 apc two blade and the 18x10 mezjlik 3 blade, I am now wondering about a 3 blade biela in around 18x10.
In my experience so far with 30cc class engines (including the Mintor 38 and ZDZ40), it is the best of the bunch in terms of power and throttle response on pipe. I think most all of them throttle well on muffler.

BTW- the experience I've shared is with a piped engine. I would expect lower output on muffler alone. A tuned pipe (not a canister) increases HP by increasing both torque and rpm so as a rule of thumb, drop the load by 1" on diameter or 2" on pitch if you plan on using the supplied muffler. I think the Biela woodie should be fine on muffler alone

WindGap 03-12-2012 03:34 PM

Scroll on to the next post if you don't care. No point, none. DLE 30. OS GT33
http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-230056.jpghttp://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-230059.jpg
http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-230058.jpghttp://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery.../lg-230057.jpg

CustomPC 03-13-2012 03:28 AM

Check out these 2 videos that just showed up on YouTube.

It hand starts and runs very well here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3NiC14QgEY&feature=g-u-u&context=G2b689e7FUAAAAAAAAAA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHd3Rc8VoaM&feature=related[/youtube]

MTK 03-13-2012 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

It hand starts and runs very well here.

Yes I have found the same thing now that the engine has a few hours run time. She starts by hand easily with usually 1-2 flips. I had a feeling and was hopeful that my early experience was not typical. OS has put out a lot of good products over the years....this is another.

I am purchasing a few more of these just to have around. I seriously doubt the price will remain at its current low level forever......

And BTW- the small weight difference between the DLE and the OS is due to the fact that OS uses a larger crankshaft. The stroke is 32.5 mm not 30mm. It's one key reason the OS turns the large props as well as it does

MTK 03-13-2012 08:24 AM

One more thing I have found in my set-up is that engine definitely will idle at very low rpm, much too low to be useful in practice. I set mine at around 1800 with good safety margin

theKM 04-06-2012 12:39 PM

I gotta say, I'm loving my GT33 so far... it does start backwards every now and then, just kill it and flick it again, I can't say I've ever had a problem starting it by hand... just a few flips and it's purring like a kitten. Simply a wonderful engine so far. On my 74" 3DHS Edge (10.5lbs), it hauls the mail. I had a 20x10 falcon on it and it's great, smooth and quiet... but I'm propping down now for break-in, I may return to the Falcon.

Here's a video of it flying on the 20x10 without any real effort to tune it properly at this point (just set the high for a little richer than peak RPM and went flying)...

https://vimeo.com/39382446

MTK 04-06-2012 09:00 PM

Have run the 20x10 carbon-wood hybrid. This prop is not commercially available but if you want to try one, I use an Xoar electric wood blank, shave the blades down and recarve the prop blade shape to suit my noise attenuation requirements, and laminate with a carbon sock. The weight of the prop is a scant 2 1/2 ozs.

Anyway, I'm getting around 7300 on this prop of the ground. It unloads a bit in the air and works exceptionally well in my 11 pound plane

WindGap 04-23-2012 03:59 PM

Just went with what I already had, 30:1 ratio using Stihl HP synthetic. Any objections?

Also, seemed to have gone thru a lot of fuel in a short amt of time for first tank. Yikes. Is this normal? Hope this improves on my next tank. 16oz tank.

MTK 04-23-2012 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: WindGap

Just went with what I already had, 30:1 ratio using Stihl HP synthetic. Any objections?

Also, seemed to have gone thru a lot of fuel in a short amt of time for first tank. Yikes. Is this normal? Hope this improves on my next tank. 16oz tank.
If you are asking me....None!

Once the 33GT is needled properly, 16 ounces should last you around 20 minutes. I have more than enough power in my set-up so I normally fly at 1/2 throttle. My 16 ounces of gas lasts around 25 minutes

MTK 06-21-2012 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: WindGap

If you are asking me....None!

Once the 33GT is needled properly, 16 ounces should last you around 20 minutes. I have more than enough power in my set-up so I normally fly at 1/2 throttle. My 16 ounces of gas lasts around 25 minutes
Just a week ago, I took the 500 ml (about 17 1/2 ozs) out in favor of an 8 ouncer. Flight time is now about 13 minutes and my flying buds like it much better. I don't hog the sky

bells33 06-30-2012 04:22 AM

theKM: Hey man... Love the video! When I read "dusting off the thumbs" I figured straight forward flying video. Not tourque rolls 2 feet off the deck and everything else you did!! haha... AWESOME!
I have my GT33 on order to go into my 3DHS 71" gas AJ Slick. Im replacing my DLE30 so I hope the install doesnt get funky on me as far as drilled holes etc.

I think I am going to try that same prop you are using.... if I can get that type of performance out of my plane... I'd be ecstatic! I don't fly quite that good yet, but i could bang it pretty damn well on the foamies, just need to build the confidence on the bigger stuff. Ive been so anxious to get the right combo of weight to power ratio out of a gasser and have that light foamie feel. (just cant afford a 50cc/100cc right now).

Ive been using the Evolution oil on my gassers. Any feeling on that? So you are running the stock muffler in that video? Any plans to change? 30:1 mix out of the box and after break in??

Thanks for any help!!!

ORIGINAL: theKM

I gotta say, I'm loving my GT33 so far... it does start backwards every now and then, just kill it and flick it again, I can't say I've ever had a problem starting it by hand... just a few flips and it's purring like a kitten. Simply a wonderful engine so far. On my 74" 3DHS Edge (10.5lbs), it hauls the mail. I had a 20x10 falcon on it and it's great, smooth and quiet... but I'm propping down now for break-in, I may return to the Falcon.

Here's a video of it flying on the 20x10 without any real effort to tune it properly at this point (just set the high for a little richer than peak RPM and went flying)...

https://vimeo.com/39382446

bells33 06-30-2012 04:31 AM

Xoar 20x10 vs Falcon 20x10??<div>Im guessing pretty similar?? </div>