RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

3136 08-16-2011 12:07 AM

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Hi all,
has anyone tried the new pte36r?
I was thinking of putting it in my world models 80 inch stang.
A seller here in Australia has them, I have bought DLE's from him in the past and he thinks this new engine is pretty good.
http://www.wolfmodels.net/PTE36R.html
I would like to hear some flight reports if anyone has them.
Thanks Mark

Tired Old Man 08-16-2011 07:50 AM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Never even heard of it. The way I see it you have three options.

Research the dickens out of it in the hopes that someone out there has alredy put a few hundred hours on a very new engine line. Outcome of success in that area doesn't look too good.

If the cost is low enough, buy one and be the person that puts a few hundred hours on it and provide feedback. Outlook of all that is 50-50. It's good or it's not and time will tell.

An last is not buy. Nothing lost or gained in the last choice.

apalsson 08-16-2011 04:21 PM

Some real scary claims made on the dealer's website
I wonder if Ralph has anything to chime in with regarding the claims re the Zenoah ;)

IN STOCK NOW, the exciting PTE36R 36cc gas engine.
Rear carb
Rear exhaust
Pitts muffler standard
Japanese NSK bearings
Walbro Japan carb
PTE-6 Iridium Spark Plug
Cylinder is HARD CHROME plated, by the same factory that does Zenoah, so it will never wear out or get gouges in it. All other Chinese engines are only plasma coated, which is not as good.
Weight incl ignition, muffler and standoffs 1135 grams
Very narrow profile ideal for narrow cowls such as warbirds
2 Years Australian warranty

3136 08-16-2011 09:37 PM

Thanks guys,
Tired Old Man, I like your sense of humour.

I do trust this dealer he has helped me a lot with advise and he has sold me all few dle 30's which at the time everyone in my club was advising against.
When I fitted them they were new but I gave them a go and they have been fantastic, not one problem, not one deadstick ever!!
I think some of the Chinese understand they need to lift quality, I think the dle is a good example.

I will buy one of these but maybe test it in another airframe before I repower the stang (it has a dle 30 now)

I also found this video on utube from an American agent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbuKUCAhbU 

apalsson 08-16-2011 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 3136

Thanks guys,
Tired Old Man, I like your sense of humour.

Far being it from me to try to talk on T.O.M.'s behalf, he has proven many times over that he is capable of making a point himself, but .......... I didn't exactly read his comments as a joke or a compliment.
I know Bob (the dealer) is a good guy and a standup guy but I think a bit of research is in order before making claims like in the text I quoted above.

There are 99% chances the cylinders are from SV and they may well be chrome plated but that's how the liner is applied (flame plating of chrome) and I certainly don't think SV or another Chinese manufacturer makes cylinders for Zenoah (Japanese).
Comments that they will never wear out are also a bit questionable to me and risky to use in advertising because people can and will take the supplier to task when the engine fails and claim to have bought based on those published specs.

Pte seem reliable enough engines though which can mainly be noted by the fact that they are hardly ever mentioned here. I doubt though that there is enough experience with them out there to make any calls on reliability.
Given the price they are sold at though, I would say they sounds like a good candidate for a low cost engine to buy and if they don't stack up, not be too upset because the outlay wasn't all that much

3136 08-16-2011 10:12 PM

Whoooahh take it easy mate.
I thought it was amusing what T.O.M said, I wasn't trying to offend anyone.
Sit down and have a beer, take it easy.
High blood pressure has never helped anyone.

apalsson 08-16-2011 10:20 PM

High blood pressure has never helped anyone.
High blood pressure is good for the soul :)

MetallicaJunkie 08-16-2011 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: apalsson

High blood pressure has never helped anyone.
High blood pressure is good for the soul :)
Good for E.D. too :D

Super08 08-17-2011 03:56 AM

I would love to see the inside of the cylinder and have a look at the porting. At least it looks to be an original design. The site also shows a 50cc which is a copy of the old DL50 with Japanese NSK bearings and CF reeds. The 36 costs more than the 50.

the Wasp 08-17-2011 12:11 PM

as for the Prop/RPM numbers go,

for the 20x8 numbers (7100), if they used a good loading Prop such as a 20x8 3W then the power (in that range) is pretty-much equal to a MVVS 35, but if they used a Zinger Standard or Zinger Pro then the power is down about 500 RPMs from a MVVS 35,,

as for quality ???????

bobbee015 08-18-2011 12:17 AM

Hi. I am the Australian importer for the Pterodactyl range of engines. All tests are done using the Hawk C-1 range of props, not Zinger etc.
As far as the cylinder plating goes, i have been advised that the Hard Chrome plating is done by the same factory that does the Zenoah. I do not know if that is in China or Japan. I have a test engine that has done 11 hours of running and there are no marks on the bore at all. Period. It looks the same as a new cylinder. So yes i believe the Chrome plating is elctro plated, not flame, as in plasma. The cylinder is not sourced from another manufacturer such as SV. The Pterodactyl factory has invested a lot of money in this project, with input from me in the design. I wanted an engine that was very narrow profile, hence the rear exhaust. The Pitts muffler that is supplied with the engine is below par as far as strength and noise, too much noise. So i have manufactured my own Pitts mufflers that meet Australian standards of below 96db, actual 94db. This has added a small amount to the price, but it is well below other engines that you have to go out and buy a Pitts muffler for. The factory is working on a new muffler to my design which will hopefully meet my standards.

Feel free to ask any questions. The next engine from the Pterodactyl factory will be a 72cc twin, logical, and then a 60cc single.

Thanks, Bob

3136 08-18-2011 12:46 AM

G'day Bob, well you haven't let me down with your advice over the years.
So if you like these engines I'm happy to give it a go.
I just placed an order on your web site, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Thanks Mark</p>

bobbee015 08-18-2011 09:19 PM

Hi Guys,
One of the other design features not found on most other Chinese engines is the crankshaft to prop hub fitment. Instead of being a parallel shaft relying on the key for driving, the PTE36R has a tapered shaft and tapered hole in the hub, so that all the key does is locate the hub in the correct position. The taper does the driving, and it makes sure there is no possibility of run out in the hub.

Thanks, Bob

bobbee015 08-19-2011 12:54 AM

Hi Again,
I should have been more specific when i said that most Chinese engines do not have tapered shafts. What i should have said was engines with a single sided or cantilever crank do not normally have tapered shafts. Just to clear that up before i am shot down in flames.

Thanks, Bob

aussiesteve 08-21-2011 02:44 PM

Bob
A couple of questions for you to answer to assist in your claims above.

Can you please post a picture of the inside of the cylinder - a new one? - especially the combustion chamber area.

Have you torn down many brands of engine other than the PTE's? This is in response to your statement about the tapered drives for hubs.

Why does that cylinder look awfully a lot like a fairly common off the shelf cylinder that has been turned 90 degrees to make it a rear outlet?

Do you understand the difference between NiSiC and Cr ? (these are very different coating materials indeed)

I am not saying these engines are good or bad but I have a suspicion that you may have quoted some incorrect information from your "supplier".

skillet92 08-21-2011 04:34 PM

Good looking engine, but one unrelated question? Why do people post videos of a running engine with them in the arc of the spinning propeller. Maybe I am to cautions but I guess my AF training has me thinking of those things. I just always think of what happens if the prop comes apart!! I have seen guys at the field get hit by a running one in the hand and shudder to think of one hitting you in the body or god forbid the face!

bobbee015 08-21-2011 06:39 PM

Hi Steve,
It is definately hard CR not Nikasil or plasma.

When i figure out how to post a photo i will.

Yes i have dissmantled a lot of Chinese engines with the single sided crank, and they were all parallel shafts. I know that all the double sided cranks have a tapered shaft.

The cylinder is new, not copied or used an off the shelf unit. As is the piston, as you cannot simply use a side exhaust piston as the ring locating pin is in the wrong position. If the cylinder was an off the shelf unit turned 90 deg then the head fins would be the wrong direction

3136 08-22-2011 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Do you understand the difference between NiSiC and Cr ? (these are very different coating materials indeed)

No need to inferr someone is an idiot, if you are trying to make yourself look good you just failed.

Looking at your signiature it appears you are extremely biased against "cheap engines"
Well how would you rate the dle 30? That's a cheap engine and I absolutely love it, many others do as well.
Yes you will see questions in forums of "why isn't my engine running properly"
Usually a few questions are asked, and it turns out they are running over 6v or not pushed the spark cap on properly.

The dle has been an amazing sucess for Chinese manufacturing, other companies there would be envious as hell.
Hopefully this pte is another "cheapie" sucess story.
Anyway I'm sure you will not buy one Aussiesteve, that's ok we all have choices to make, I personally am delighted with my dle's, I could not fault them in any way, so maybe this pte will be as good maybe not, time will tell.
I have a extra 260 I'm going to test it in so stay tuned for the video.

Regards Mark

aussiesteve 08-22-2011 02:36 PM

Good on ya mark
You don't know me too well do you. If someone is purchasing and has a limited financial budget in mind, I ALWAYS recommend the DLE products to them from the local Factory authorised distributors - Not from those that have them sourced frmo the remainder of the Chiense sites that had stocks. (you most likely know which reseller I am referring to here.)

Ok - FACTS about PTE engines - and how do I know? - because i HAVE purchased one to look at.

1 - the Cylinder is FLAME coated chrome - see those little dots at the top of the cylinder in the combustion chamber area? - those are the heat spots from the FLAME coating process. Why do they use FLAME coating? - because to properly Electroplate Chrome to Aluminium requires a number of grinding steps and an intermediate layer - otherwise it peels off. Then there is a necessity for a finish grind as opposed to a finish hone.

2 - The Cylinder mold - it is easy to revolve the top part of the mold 90 degrees and the mandrel 90 degrees - I have done this many times. It doesn't make the cylinder more or less functional - it just rotates the port.

3 - Tapered hub drives. By far the majority of hubs that runout are on tapered drives. There is a couple of sound metallurgical reasons for this, one of which involves thermal expansion, the other involves taper matching. There is a reason that high performance engines (Including the DLE singles) use a parallel shaft and that is because it is more accurate - consistently provided the right fits are used.

To Bob - don't necessarily believe everything you ar told by the "factory". Their and your interpretations can be a little different.

I won't even start on kill swithces, mufflers etc - that is not what this forum is about.

Oh - as for my thoughts on this engine?
It performs fine - no bettter than the MLD 35, not much better than the DLE 30 and certainly not as well as a Zenoah 38. Teh mid range (where we fly0 lack a little acceleration for my liking but it runs and will no doubt be sold on "turns a XXX prop at YYY rpm" which is all that many can read into these days.

Ok - I'm out before a bystander gets confused as to who is who.:D

How long will it last? - ask again in a couple of years as it is very much an unknown now.
Tune it, fly it, see how it goes - nobody can do any different on them

Ibcinyou! 08-22-2011 06:22 PM

Hi Mark,

I am a dealer for PTE here in the USA Missouri to be exact.

you can go to my website and see all the pic's and first run video of the PTE36R that I did on youtube.

Contact me any time.

Thanks Mike

bobbee015 08-22-2011 06:44 PM

Hi Mike. Welcome aboard. I hope your sales do well as they are a great engine. The factory has addressed the muffler problem now so all is good.

Thanks, Bob

bobbee015 08-24-2011 05:11 PM

I stand corrected. IT was my miss-interpretation from the factory. It is indeed flame coated chrome.

Thanks, Bob

Antique 08-24-2011 06:17 PM

Tapered hub drives...
ALL chainsaws use tapered drives on their flywheels...Because of the CCW rotation of the crank most engine manufacturers make their hubs for the tapered end of the crank...There are ZERO problems with taper drives when the hub taper EXACTLY matches the taper in the hub..No key is necessary if the maker has enough knowledge to put the hub on the crank correctly to time the engine...
A&M gassers with cantilever cranks use/used a shraight shaft with a keyway and a keyed taper piece with a key and a keyway in the hub..Too many places to fail, but it usually worked...
If you want to measure any of my tapered hubs you will find 0/0 runout...The hub is machined in place ON the crank after final assembly...
Converting ingines for 25 years has seen very few non taper cranks...
Our VERY high peformance racing engines all use taper drive hubs...20 to 40+ HP up to 12,000 rpm and zero problems when correctly assembled...
220+ mph last weekend ;)

bobbee015 08-24-2011 06:28 PM

I also believe the tapered hub drive has advantages over the parallel shaft. That was why i mentioned it. I remember reading on RCU comments by very experienced engine guru's that the preferred method was tapered drive and they could not understand why the manufacturers did not make them like that. This is where i got the idea from

Bob

Super08 08-24-2011 06:50 PM

Tapered wins every time hands down.

apalsson 08-24-2011 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Super08

Tapered wins every time hands down.
Tapered shaft? :D
You play dangerously!

3136 08-25-2011 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my box came today.
It looks quite nice, the muffler made by wolf is impressive, very solid indeed.
I can't wait to fit it and give it a run.

The seagull extra 260 I got doesn't have the usual cross hairs to line up the stand off template with.
Should I just centre it?

Hey Bob, this bloody kit I got from a bloke down here didn't come with a spinner, Can I order one of you and a prop and get you to drillthem for me, I have a jig but my bench drill pooped itself.

Thanks Mark

bobbee015 08-25-2011 11:36 PM

G'day Mark,
Glad you are happy with it. For your prop and spinner just order through my website

Thanks, Bob

3136 08-26-2011 12:54 AM

Hi Bob ,
yeah it looks  really nice,
the muffler looks fantastic, it's very solid, I could drive over that!
Very nice welding !!

brian5 08-29-2011 03:39 PM

I have one of these engines shipping to me right now. I have had many small china made engines dle30 included. It will be mounted to a pilot rc yak and will have the tee total hell ran out of it. I like my dle, runs good, no complaints. Some of the other engines I have bought have been crap. I'll let you guys know what I think of the engine as soon as I get it and after it's been flown some. I think mike from ibcinyourc.com has posted a new video on YouTube with it in a gw yak. I purchased this engine from mike and have been more than pleased with his advise and service in the past. I hope that it's as good or better than the dle line of engines are.

mikes68charger 08-29-2011 05:47 PM

I really like the look of this motor, I think it would really work well in my CMP 109BF From NitoPlanes. I currently have a DLE 30cc in a CMP Spitfire (Both 74in wing span)

I really want a motor that has a little more power than my DLE 30 (granted she hauls with a Xora 18X10)

I really wish DLE would make a DLE 40.

SO Im hopeing this motor fits the bill as it is not as heavy as the Evolution 35cc...

I guess what Im trying to say is I need to know what RPM can this motor spin a Xora 18X10 prop. I can send one your way if that is what is needed.

Mike

Ibcinyou! 08-29-2011 06:00 PM

Hi Mike,
I have not tested rpm with a 18x10 Xoar, The test I have done is with a 19x8 falcon beechwood 7600 rpm. on the bench. I also tested a DLA30 with the same exact prop and was getting 6800.
I have posted another youtube video flying a G.W. yak 55m and was using a 20x10 beechwood. I did not get a chance to check rpm. Fly's like a foamie, tons of power.
I think this engine would be perfect for your CMP 109 for sure, look me up if you would like to order one.
Thanks Mike
Ibcinyourc.com
314-256-9987 shop #

tom_sandiego 08-31-2011 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,
The engine I ordered from you today to replace the Saito 180 on my Pitts Monster, tired with messy oil and expensive fuel. Hope it give me enough power for this bird :D

Ibcinyou! 08-31-2011 01:30 PM

Hi Tom,
Your engine is going out in the morning USPS priority mail. You will be very amazed by the power of this engine, No comparison whatsoever to a Saito 180. Like comparing a 049 to a 40. lol

Thanks Mike

brian5 09-07-2011 03:29 AM

I got my pte36r I an mounted to my pilot yak. The engine looks very good, if you didn't know it was made in china, you'd think otherwise. Fueled it up and it hit on the first flip, pulled choke of and it was running in two more flips. Has great compression, light weight, good looking machine work. As it warmed up a little, u had to richen the bottom end just a tad to get it to take fuel and then it ran great. As I let it run at fast idle for about a half a tank, I started to bring the rpm up and the high end only needed a touch of leaning to have it to my liking. The engine is a beast! Sounds more throaty than my dle, a little louder, but I don't care about that, I'd put glass packs on them if it was me, lol. It revs much faster than my dle with same prop. Idle very low altho I can't give you Rpms just yet, my tach is loaded out but I'll get it and post back. Ran it for a while and killed it, let it cool all the way off and it started with 3 more flips. So far I'm a happy customer! Looks like dle finnaly has some competition. And it's cheaper in price than the dle. Should maiden the yak this evening, will let everyone know how that goes as well. Thanks mike at ibcinyourc.com for all the support and talking me into giving this engine a try. Well pleased so far!!

Ibcinyou! 09-07-2011 04:10 AM

Thanks Brian for the feedback! Yes I do believe that DLE has defiantly got their work cut out for them!
I was getting 7600rpm on the bench with a Falcon beechwood 19x8 prop and the DLE30 with the same prop turned 6800 rpm. The throttle response is lighting fast, easy starting, smooth idle, I have several flights now on my Goldwing Yak55M with the PTE36R and a 20x10 prop, all I can say is WOW! This thing motors along effortlessly, tons of power! Make sure to watch the first run video and the first flight video I posted on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbuKUCAhbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uYGVmi9cjM
PTE is also coming out with a 72cc twin and a 60cc single, still in the production stages and will not be available for a while. I cannot wait to get my hands on those engines. FYI

brian5 09-07-2011 05:28 PM

Got the maiden flight of the new prc yak with the pte36r a few hours ago. All I can say is wow, what a combo! I own a gw sbach with dle30, and if you think that a great combo, (which it is), then this combo will blow your mind. Got some rpm readings, idle was 2100, and 7750 with a falcon 19-8. I'm pretty sure the bottom end is set where it needs to be, but the top is still a little rich. It will idle lower than that but after a full throttle run and chop it, it will drop down a bit but come back up. I think its carrying the extra fuel from the rich high setting and causing that. Keep in mind it only has about 1 1/2 tanks of fuel through it so all this can only get better as I get the tuning closer and it seats the ring better. Fuel is exxon prem with 40:1 maxim syn. Temp was 75 and 30% humidity.

tom_sandiego 09-19-2011 03:17 PM

I wonder this is happened to anyone. I setup this engine on my Pitts Monster with 18X10 prop, the engine is awesome a lot power but the problem is after 3rd fly the muffler broke separated from the mounting flange. Emailed Mike and he sent me another one but on the 5th fly the muffler broke same as the first one right at the flange as you can see in the photo. Can't understand why

I Can't up load the pix :-(

Super08 09-19-2011 03:30 PM

Could just be a case of low quality mufflers. Very common on some engines out of Asia, they are very prone to failure after a bit of use. I sent you a PM.

Super08 09-19-2011 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are Tom's pictures...