RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11251231-xyz-20cc-engines-valley-view.html)

armody 01-21-2013 04:17 PM

RE: XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View

u2fletch,

Congrats on your new motor. Can you tell me which Walbro carb does come with this motor? Which prop are you going to use, what ratio of oil is recommended for this motor? Have your cranked it up yet? If yes how did you like it?

Thanks

Mody

Indiomike 01-21-2013 09:48 PM

Armody

I have the XYZ 20 from ValleyView. The carb is a Walbro WT793A. I run the engine with a 17x6 prop and use Pennzoil Outdoor Aircooled oil for two stroke engines mixed at 32 to 1. That is 4 ounces oil to one gallon of gas. After the engine is fully broken in (two gallons of gas) I switch to a fully synthetic oil such as Stihl HP Ultra at 40 or maybe 50 to 1 ratio.

I don't think the brand of oil is overly important as long as it isn't some off the wall brand nobody has ever heard of. I do not use synthetic oil on a new engine because it is somewhat slicker than petroleum oil such as Pennzoil. Being slicker, it will take a longer time for the engine to break in (meaning seat the ring). Two gallons of gas in a 20cc engine is a lot of run time. It should be pretty well broke in by that time.

Mike

fgdsfg 01-21-2013 10:19 PM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">XYZ brand engines really good,nice price.:)</span>

rcguy59 01-21-2013 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you get when you combine two XYZ 20's? An XYZ 40 TWIN, of course. I just got this little gem last week. That's a DLE 30 next to it for scale. The weight of each engine is IDENTICAL. The twin makes a bit more power.

armody 01-21-2013 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Indiomike

Armody

I have the XYZ 20 from ValleyView. The carb is a Walbro WT793A. I run the engine with a 17x6 prop and use Pennzoil Outdoor Aircooled oil for two stroke engines mixed at 32 to 1. That is 4 ounces oil to one gallon of gas. After the engine is fully broken in (two gallons of gas) I switch to a fully synthetic oil such as Stihl HP Ultra at 40 or maybe 50 to 1 ratio.

I don't think the brand of oil is overly important as long as it isn't some off the wall brand nobody has ever heard of. I do not use synthetic oil on a new engine because it is somewhat slicker than petroleum oil such as Pennzoil. Being slicker, it will take a longer time for the engine to break in (meaning seat the ring). Two gallons of gas in a 20cc engine is a lot of run time. It should be pretty well broke in by that time.

Mike
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have no intention to hack this thread. I'm a newbie to gas, my first gas motor is DLE20 which I flew after a year though my plane had been ready for a year but few missing things were there and it's nitro plane's Yak 54. I had been planning to get a new plane which is most likely to be Seagull Model's Hawker Sea Fury, and I had been contemplating either to get DLE20, or Mintor 22, I love DLE20 though it's pretty much new and had max 5 tanks ran through it.

I was thinking to go ahead and buy this motor, which is greatly priced and good walbro carb, rxcel ignition, mount, NGK plug sounds like a great deal to me, pretty much a replica of DLE20. I never knew to run non-synthetic first then synthetic, never knew that and I started off running with Klotz synthetic oil and 32:1 ratio, and I'd continue to do that on DLE20. I may or may not do on XYZ20. I'm waiting on some cash flowing in, then I'd go ahead and make my purchase. BTW thanks a lot for the info, and have you run your motor yet? Are you happy with the output and your purchase, no post-purchase remorse lol?

Mody

coronabob 01-22-2013 06:49 AM

XYZ 40cc twin from where? Very nice. Thank you for telling us. Another great choice.

karolh 01-22-2013 08:07 AM

The XYZ 20cc certainly seems like very good value for the money.

Karol

Indiomike 01-22-2013 09:38 AM

Armody

Yes, I have run the XYZ 20. It is installed in a Seagull Yak 54. So far, so good. The engine has run very well.

I have two very minor complaints. The threads on the prop shaft is a rather unusual size 8mm X .075. A far more common size would be 8mm x 1.00 such as the DLE 20. I spoke to Tom Denny of Valley View and he said he would have the manufacturer change the threads on the next batch of shafts. In the mean time he can supply additional prop nuts to a customer if needed. You just don't find .075 threaded nuts at a hardware store.

The other item is the choke plate on the Walbro carb. Mine will not hold closed on its own. On every carb that I have (except this one), the choke plate kind of locks into either the fully open or closed position. On this carb you can close the choke but it will start to open up just from the vibration of flipping the prop and once the engine starts it jumps out of the closed position. It doesn't jump to fully open but open enough that the engine will stay running once it fires. I'm going to call Mr. Denny today and ask him if he considers that a defective carb or if it is normal.

Neither of the above has caused me any remorse in buying the engine. It's a good price. My engine has about one hour total run time and it has not quit unexpectedly on me even once.

Mike

armody 01-22-2013 12:09 PM

Mike,

Thanks a lot for the information, it's great. I'm not the gas motor expert, but the way you've described about your carb's plate, it pretty much seems like the carb problem. I hope that upon speaking to Denny your issue would be resolved. Well you have Seagull Yak 54, I have Nitro planes Yak 54 120, either it has 69" wing span or 71", I have not measured lol. It really flies good I just had a maiden on Sunday. I know the quality is not as good as Seagull model, but for around $140 or $148 with shipping was not a bad deal though a year ago.

My next model is gonna be Seagull's Sea Fury, which I'm planning to get and use either DLE20 or XYZ 20 on it.

Mody

Indiomike 01-22-2013 12:42 PM

Here is an update.

I talked to Tom Denny of ValleyView RC regarding the choke plate not staying in the closed position when placed there. He is of the opinion that it is pretty much normal for the Walbro carb. He doesn't consider it a defect at this time. He did receive one other complaint from another customer on this same issue. Mr. Denny said that if Walbro does anything about this, he will pass it on to his customers.

To be clear, I'm not really upset over this. It's a minor problem I can live with. I am certainly not complaining about customer service from ValleyView. I shall remain a customer of ValleyView when I need something they sell or service.

IndioMike

rcguy59 01-22-2013 04:45 PM

Do a search on FeeBay for the XYZ 40 twin. There were 4 left the last time I looked. Very nice engine.

WindGap 01-22-2013 05:02 PM

What r the dimesions of that 40cc twin? Spark plug to spark plug? Mount to hub?

rcguy59 01-22-2013 05:21 PM

Rear face of mount to front face of prop hub is 5 7/16". Width tip-to-tip of spark plugs is about 9" even, with CM6 plugs. I installed 1/4-32 plugs in adapters to narrow the engine enough to not have to cut my cowl for the plug boots. Width with 1/4-32 plugs is 8 1/2". Since I took the photos, I also installed a single-bolt prop adapter. This engine uses the same prop bolt pattern as a DLE 55, which means single-bolt adapters are already available from ValleyView. The cylinders are standard XYZ 20 items. They are NOT handed. (No left and right)

rcguy59 01-22-2013 06:42 PM

Three left.
www.ebay.com/itm/XYZ-40cc-Gas-Engine-Latest-edition-New-in-box-Warranty-from-USA-Service-Center-/221171229130

TunnelBill 01-23-2013 12:44 PM

Nice looking motor, I really wanted one BUT Wow $429.95 is high. I thought they would be around $350.00.

Ernie Misner 01-23-2013 09:04 PM

Very nice arms and it's a genuine walbro carb!

WindGap 01-24-2013 04:37 PM

It would be good to see this engine in action. The dle 20 is not smooth and I'd like to see how smooth this engine runs.

Ernie Misner 01-24-2013 09:16 PM

They look like a clone of the DLE but the parts are not interchangeable. The do weigh exactly the same though. Other than idling down quicker (rcexel ignition) I haven't heard anyone say they ran any better. Both should run smooth if tuned properly I think. I have both but haven't had a chance to run them or compare yet.

Mpizpilot 01-24-2013 10:19 PM

I have both. 2 with the stock xyz ignition, two with the rcexl ignition and one DLE 20. The xyz with rcexl runs just as nicely as my DLE, they may be just a shade smoother in the midrange throttle. The two xyz's with the stock xyz ignition run just fine also, but seems to take more effort to start and are a couple hundred rpm less then the rcexl versions. All turning the same prop.

armody 01-24-2013 10:58 PM

Guys,

With all your inputs and speaking so highly of XYZ, I'm very much inclined to buy one 20cc as they're under $200. Do you guys recommend it, as I need rear carb motor which has lug so I can use the beam mount. Has anyone of you had to change the ignition timing/ TDC on your motor? I'm totally naive on this ignition timing/ curve/ TDC stuff.

Thanks

Mody

Lifer 01-25-2013 03:34 AM

This may sound like heresy, but most of these engines can be smoothed out a little by running a little less advance. I have a DLE 20 in a TF AT-6 and run it at 24 degrees btdc. It made a difference. I found this out when I had a CRRC 26 that ran really rough. I discovered that it came from the factory with 48 degrees of advance. Ran/idled rough as heck. I brought it down to 28 degrees and it was much better. So I dropped it down to 20 degrees before it started to lose power. I split the difference at 24 degrees. Now if I have a shaker, I retard the timing a little bit til it smooths out. Yeah, I lose a little rpm, but the airframes don't see as much abuse. I'm not into total speed anymore and a few hundred rpm really doesn't make that much difference.

Best regards.

Ernie Misner 01-25-2013 10:22 PM

If you can still get the XYZ from VV for $179 jump on it! The DLE's come factory set at about 35 degrees advance for reasons unkown. They run okay but most folks feel better about retarding them a bit from there since 28 degrees is more the norm.

armody 01-25-2013 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lifer, Ernie

Thanks for your reply. I do not know how to retard the degrees or advance the degrees. I have seen the video of some guy, sound quality is not good and if I have understood it correctly it's southern accent and I'm not very good with that. Anyway! time hasn't come yet for my purchase, which means I'm waiting on money, as soon as I get the money, I'm gonna buy the motor. The plane I want is Seagull's Sea Fury

WindGap 01-26-2013 07:10 AM

Does this engine have that annoying surge like an on/off switch similar to the DLE 20? Or does speed/rpm build linearly?

Ernie Misner 01-28-2013 10:37 PM

armody, there are two screws holding the sensor onto the end of the crankshaft and there are slots in the sensor. To retard the timing just slide the sensor in the same direction as the prop turns. The DLE's come factory set at 35 degrees which most people feel is too far advanced. You can retard the sensor in the slots as far as it will go and be in the ballpark for 28 degrees and call it a day.