RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11251231-xyz-20cc-engines-valley-view.html)

Ernie Misner 10-04-2012 05:08 PM

XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View

Has anyone had any experience with the XYZ brand engines from VV? They look a lot like the DLE, one heck of a cheap price at the moment, don't know how long it will last. They had a hand in the developement and might be the only importer. I did see one fly locally on an AW ProX260 and it ran great. First class people at VV too and that's a plus.

Thanks, Ernie

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/x...as-engine.html

>>>>> This new 20cc was developed in collaboration between Valley View RC and XYZ manufacturing. After many hours of testing we feel this is one of the best 20cc engines on the market today. We have ran severalof these engines on our test stand and in an airplane and have had no failures. This engine comes with a Rcexl ignition, genuine NGK-CM-6 spark plug, composite engine mount and long throttle and choke arms.

Specifications:

Displacement: 20cc
Bore: 1.3in / 32mm
Stroke: 1.0in / 25mm
Weight: 0.75kg/ 26.5oz
RPM Range: 1650 - 9000
Output: 2.5 hp @ 9000RPM
Requires: unleaded gasoline, 2-cycle oil, ignitionbattery & propeller
Includes: Rcexl electronic ignition, muffler, spark plug, throttle and choke arms, engine mount, and manual
Propellers: 14 x 10,15 x 8, 16 x 6, 16 x 8, 17 x 6, 17 X 8

Mpizpilot 10-04-2012 05:19 PM

RE: XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View

I've got two. Bought direct for $175 each. Didn't come the rcexcel ignition though. Mine have been absolutely perfect for me.

Ernie Misner 10-04-2012 05:22 PM

What ignition did it come with? Thanks for the input, great that yours are flawless.

captinjohn 10-04-2012 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

I've got two. Bought direct for $175 each. Didn't come the rcexcel ignition though. Mine have been absolutely perfect for me.
Direct ...from where? Also what kind of power has it got compared too other 20cc engines? Capt,n

Ernie Misner 10-04-2012 08:27 PM

From VV John, follow the link above.

captinjohn 10-06-2012 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

From VV John, follow the link above.
Ernie....you go follow the link...............or somethinghttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/redface.gif

Lifer 10-06-2012 08:55 AM

Any chance that the exhaust port can be rotated to the rear?

ahicks 10-06-2012 11:59 AM

Ernie I think Capt,n was wondering where you could buy the XYZ engines direct?

Hobbyking had them, but betting the fact VV does now might have somethng to do with the fact they don't any more?

RCG/RCGF still there though....

I'd like to know how the 20cc XYZ stacks up against the beam mount RCG/RCGF and DLE engines regarding how fast it'll turn an APC 17x6? I know the RCG and DLE are about the same, turning something in the 8400 - 8700 rpm range in my experience. -Al

karolh 10-06-2012 12:09 PM

Really ??

Karol

ahicks 10-06-2012 12:24 PM

Huh?
Really what?
-Al

karolh 10-06-2012 12:39 PM

Never knew the RCGF could turn that much rpm on a 17x6 prpop.

Karol

TunnelBill 10-06-2012 01:15 PM

I got mine today and it looks good, they ran the engine for 20 min. before it was shipped. That is great service. The manual said to use a Hard Mount, Do not use a soft mount, I was going to use a Dubro mount, is this a Soft mount? Any input would be great because I am new to Gas.

Thanks,
Bill

yankos 10-06-2012 01:20 PM

Total weight is 750gr? With muffler and ignition?

acerc 10-06-2012 01:20 PM

The Du-Bro is a soft mount unless you have the aluminum one. I would not use aluminum, build a beam or use the Du-Bro. I have two on the Du-Bro's been fine for over a year. Have seen the aluminum one's break from the inside corner's.
I have two of the RCGF's and they are both in the mid 8K's with a Xoar 17x6.

ahicks 10-06-2012 02:00 PM

Re: RCGF, the beam mount version is pretty strong, stand off version not as much.

Dubro soft mount has rubber grommets between the motor mount and the firewall
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD633&P=7

A lot of guys prefer something like this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXATG7&P=ML

Total weight is 750gr? With muffler and ignition? - Not very likely. If they don't specify what the spec. includes, safest bet would be it's engine only?

Mpizpilot 10-06-2012 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Direct ...from where? Also what kind of power has it got compared too other 20cc engines? Capt,n
Direct from xyz in china. They were selling them right here in the rcu swap shop. I've also got a dle 20 and to be honest I can't tell the difference. The xyz does come with a walbro carb as well and real ngk cm6 plugs.

SigMan 10-06-2012 03:27 PM

i have mine XYZ 20 sitting on top my GP Revolver 70 in the other room waitng for after Christmas assembly. thought i would start seeing videos on youtube by now of these after the excellent review in FlyRC magazine. oh, i also order the opto kill switch and it was still only 200 bucks. what a great deal if she runs good.

Ernie Misner 10-06-2012 03:32 PM

They are bound to weight exactly the same as the DLE..... a clone? Sorry John if the link didn't work. Valley View is the importer and distributor it looks like. Insane price on them right now, don't know how long that will last. May as well get 3 or 4.....:)

Can anyone tell me for sure if the exhaust flange mount is exactly the same as the DLE. I will want to get a header and tuned pipe eventually and Mac's does have the DLE header. Also I'm hoping the DLE ring is the same so I can get one from Frank Bowman since he already has the DLE rings.

Thanks, Ernie

captinjohn 10-07-2012 06:09 AM

They are bound to weight exactly the same as the DLE..... a clone? Sorry John if the link didn't work. Valley View is the importer and distributor it looks like. Insane price on them right now, don't know how long that will last. May as well get 3 or 4.....:)

Can anyone tell me for sure if the exhaust flange mount is exactly the same as the DLE. I will want to get a header and tuned pipe eventually and Mac's does have the DLE header. Also I'm hoping the DLE ring is the same so I can get one from Frank Bowman since he already has the DLE rings.

Thanks, Ernie
AH-Heck....get a dozen....that way you will have extra parts to keep em going!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

karolh 10-07-2012 07:51 AM

Capt,n I was drinking my coffee and you almost made me choke:D

Karol

geeter 10-07-2012 12:24 PM

i had a 50cc XYZ gas engine about three years ago, sold by southeast engines. it ran great in my 82 " ws super sportster by great planes,even with a smoke system and stock muff. they are good engines in my view and have enough power for most flying............RON

captinjohn 10-07-2012 01:21 PM

Thanks, Ernie
You know what Ernie, that "direct" place you talked about,might be able to set u up with a pipe!!! Get some extras of them too!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

denney47 10-07-2012 06:05 PM

I can answer a few of these questions,<div>The engine was developed in cooperation between Valley View RC an XYZ.  We used the Rcexl ignition instead of the XYZ ignition; we believe this gave the engine more power, easier starting and is more reliable.  There were some minor changes made in the engine and the muffler was changed.  Any muffler or header that will fit a DLE 20 will fit this engine.</div><div>The engine comes with, Rcexl ignition, NGK CM-6 spark plug, muffler, fiber beam mount and longer throttle and choke arms.</div><div>Any additional questions contact Tom at: [email protected]</div><div>
</div><div>FYI, we are testing a 40cc twin cylinder engine that may be available soon from VVRC </div>

Mpizpilot 10-07-2012 07:41 PM

Definitely get it from ValleyView. I paid $175 and that was without the rcexcel ignition. One more thing, if you need a a spinner adapter, contact trutun. They now have the tooling to make them. I paid a little extra to have them made for me. No one carried them at the time I needed them.

dirtybird 10-08-2012 04:32 AM

It sure looks like the NGH 25CC that I have.

raptureboy 10-09-2012 07:12 AM

You know the Chinese, if you can't make your own steal someone elses.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifxyz, dle, ying yang wong, wa hoo wang. Yippe!

bkjlfp 10-09-2012 07:48 AM

I emailed VV about a spinner adapter and they mailed me one. Works great. Don't know how much it was because it was free. I bought the engine from them, maybe that helped.

geeter 10-29-2012 04:17 PM

i have seen pics of the xyz 20 cc motor. thinking of getting one soon. the muffler design shows the engine on it's side,with the stack pointing down, this is what i need. another showes it upright with the stack pointed down. you can't have it both ways,like inverted or upright mounting. the stack would have to have a different configuration. which is it?...thanks...........RON

denney47 10-29-2012 04:44 PM

We have both type mufflers Ron, many customers use this engine on profile airplanes so we provide the profile muffler for them. If they are going to use it in an airplane that the engine will be inverted we will provide that muffler.
Thank you
Tom

ORIGINAL: geeter

i have seen pics of the xyz 20 cc motor. thinking of getting one soon. the muffler design shows the engine on it's side,with the stack pointing down, this is what i need. another showes it upright with the stack pointed down. you can't have it both ways,like inverted or upright mounting. the stack would have to have a different configuration. which is it?...thanks...........RON

denney47 10-29-2012 04:45 PM

We also have Pitts style mufflers for this engine also.
Thank you
Tom
Valley View RC

karolh 10-29-2012 05:06 PM

Sounds all good.

Karol

acdii 10-29-2012 06:24 PM

I ordered one today. It will be mounted inverted, so I probably should shoot them an email even though I plan to use a Pitts on it.

geeter 10-29-2012 07:15 PM

thanks for the return so soon. i get it, so get the muffler with the motor mounted on it's side configuration. good e-nuff.....thanks again...RON

bkjlfp 01-08-2013 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: SigMan

i have mine XYZ 20 sitting on top my GP Revolver 70 in the other room waitng for after Christmas assembly. thought i would start seeing videos on youtube by now of these after the excellent review in FlyRC magazine. oh, i also order the opto kill switch and it was still only 200 bucks. what a great deal if she runs good.
Did you get your Revolver in the air yet? I put the XYZ 20cc in my Revolver 70 and it is a perfect combo. Had to add a little weight to the tail but not much. Moved the fuel tank back to just in front of the wing tube and had to cut out a small piece of ply and a little of the foam from under the canopy/hatch to clear the vent line on top. With the stock fuel tank it will run forever at mid throttle settings and does some 3D as well. I run a 17 X 4W APC prop. Tons of throttle response. So far I have never had it quit on me in the air - just let it get warm. I also have a high idle programmed to a switch to make sure and then kick it off for landing.
Have fun with the Revolver - my favorite plane (or at least as favorite as my Seagull 540 68").

SigMan 01-09-2013 03:30 AM

ORIGINAL: bkjlfp

ORIGINAL: SigMan

Did you get your Revolver in the air yet? I put the XYZ 20cc in my Revolver 70 and it is a perfect combo. Had to add a little weight to the tail but not much. Moved the fuel tank back to just in front of the wing tube and had to cut out a small piece of ply and a little of the foam from under the canopy/hatch to clear the vent line on top. With the stock fuel tank it will run forever at mid throttle settings and does some 3D as well. I run a 17 X 4W APC prop. Tons of throttle response. So far I have never had it quit on me in the air - just let it get warm. I also have a high idle programmed to a switch to make sure and then kick it off for landing.
Have fun with the Revolver - my favorite plane (or at least as favorite as my Seagull 540 68'').

no, i havent even started putting it together. i hope to have it ready by spring. i got a couple of small BNF's and they been keeping me busy. glad to her your have a great time with your Revolver.

Edwin 01-09-2013 06:00 AM

Further back, it was mentioned the carb is a walbro, is it? Is it a real walbro, not a copy?
Edwin

flygilmore 01-09-2013 09:00 AM

Yes, it is a real Walbro if you get it from VV at least. I got one over Christmas break and it looks very nice. It will going on my sons PT .60 trainer. We wont be lacking power to say the least!

denney47 01-09-2013 09:13 AM

The XYZ 20's do have a real Walbro Carburetor, we have not had any problems with this engine since we made a few changes with the factory.<div>Please let me know any feedback you have, good or bad.</div><div>Thank you</div><div>Tom</div><div>Valley View RC</div><div>valleyviewrc.com </div>

karolh 01-09-2013 09:41 AM

It's so nice to now have so many choices in the 20cc engine size which is becoming quite popular.

Karol

Edwin 01-09-2013 10:21 AM

Damn, I might have to try one. I have a rcgf 20cc (one of the very early ones), that for the most part is a decent engine. But I just dont like that chinese carb. I'm going to be replacing it with a real walbro. Same on my DLE30. I usually dont mind tinkering with engines, its kinda fun. But now I have too many that need tinkering on a regular basis. I want them to run right out of the box so I can get more flying time in, been spoiled by my zenoahs and us engines. I'll do more conversions if I want to tinker.

Sometimes there's something in a name. When I first saw XYZ, I didnt give it another thought and figured it was some copy of a copy of another copy and figured it would be like the ngh brand. I've seen a lot of reviews about ngh and bottom line in most of them was a list of "if you do this, that, and another thing" they can be made to run. Thats not what I'm willing to pay for anymore. I have a crrc 40cc thats a worthless piece of junk. The main bearing seat is too big for the bearing so its slightly loose. It has about 1/32" of lateral side to side play. Which explains the ridiculous amount of vibration it has. These engines had a history of breaking crankshafts for awhile. I'll try some JB weld in the seat later to see if that can fix it. That along with the timing being wrong and a cantankerous carb, turned me away from off brands. The only reason I'm willing to give the XYZ 20cc a try is because its from Valley View. I've done business with them in the past and consider them honest.
Edwin