RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Gas to glo plug. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11623717-gas-glo-plug.html)

bcchi 11-16-2015 10:36 PM

Gas to glo plug.

In about 1949 I install a glo plug in a Ohlson 23 and it ran great with no battery.I had been running with the points and spark coil and dry cells,which did not last long.I said I would never put a spark plug in a model airplane engine again.
This was true until about 1980 Then I started playing with spark Ign and to make a long story short . This was the begenning of C&H Ignitions.I was told at a trade show by a popular writer that I would never sell on of those crazy things.
Well we didn't sell one we sold over 15000 of them.We sold to nearly all of the US engine builders ,at that time there was over a dozen of them.We also sold to several of early RPV builders .The Army,Navy and Boeing Co.I said then I would
never put another Glo Plug in a model engine and didn't until about three weeks ago.My good friend had been flying the OS 10&15 glo gas all season and he thought they were great no problems.Never burned out one glo plug.Well I still like to do R&D
Roar and Dink around my wife calls when I used to tell I was going flying to do some R&D.research and development on the CH ignition.I cannot believe I done this,me of all people.But my friend gave me a gas glo plug.And I had a 10MM to 1/4x32
adapter .I put it in a DL 30.Made bets around the field if it would run and how bad it would run if it did.To my total amazement it started right up and seem to run fine never touched the carb adjustment. It idled fine an throtel response was great no burble
or anything.So lets fly it ran beautiful ,I was dumbfounded . I let several other guys fly it and they tried to make it dead stick It just ran fine. Went to idle down on landing and still wouldnt; kill,had to run it off in to the grass.Flew it again last Sat to see if I was dreaming and it ran the same.Did have to use a starter on first start of the day after that it would hand start fine. It would start backwards if you cranked it to hard. I no this sounds backwards but I can explain it.
Tried the DL 20 on Gas Glo on Sunday . It did not run as good as the 30 and I could hear a slight detonation.I will lower the compression a little and have a couple of other tricks I will do.It ran good and idled good hand started after first start with a starter.
It turned exactly the same RPM as it did on spark 7650 on a Valley View 17x6 prop.I still like to do R&D . No I am not going to through all my Ignitions away. I still love the spark ignition.There are some fliers who just cannot run the Gas spark engines with the Walbro type carb.We have a couple of them at our field. I no you have seen them at your field.I set one flier up with two gas engines. I could have them running and flying great and by the next week end he had them so screwed uo they would't run or run terrible.He had trouble with about everything he done with RC.
Sorry about long post,but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.I am not recommending this but just thought I would tell my experience with it.Ran regular pump gas 40to 1 Stihl Ultra oil .DL 20 had Bowman ring. I no Frank Bowman real well and I can see why he hung it up. Fliers just bothered him to much with there engine problems. I won't get into that.CH Ignition has plug adapters . Tower does not have the gas glo plugs other fliers must be trying this.I hope I didn't open a bag of worms.
Thank You BCCHI Tired old CH guy. AMA 2500.I am a stick builder.

w8ye 11-17-2015 04:20 AM

+1 nice post

pilotpete2 11-17-2015 05:12 AM

+2:cool:
Pete

kmeyers 11-17-2015 12:02 PM

Great post!

I want to go "Roar and Dink" right now.

You think OS will tell us how the plug differs?

bcchi 11-17-2015 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kmeyers (Post 12128501)
Great post!

I want to go "Roar and Dink" right now.

You think OS will tell us how the plug differs?

No they will not tell what materiel the wire coil is made out of. You can bet the Chinese will find out soon.Dl will run on OS four stroke glo plug but will not idle without heat.I am going to do some R&D.LOL With some other plugs just for fun.
One thing I did not mention,you have to let the engine warm up good. I think they say one minute but doesn't take that long.No I am not going to throw my Igns away.
BCCHI Tired old CH guy.

MTK 11-18-2015 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by bcchi (Post 12128692)
No they will not tell what materiel the wire coil is made out of. You can bet the Chinese will find out soon.Dl will run on OS four stroke glo plug but will not idle without heat.I am going to do some R&D.LOL With some other plugs just for fun.
One thing I did not mention,you have to let the engine warm up good. I think they say one minute but doesn't take that long.No I am not going to throw my Igns away.
BCCHI Tired old CH guy.

Curious....do you suppose there is catalytic action between the element and the 10% etoh? If one were to use pure gas, it's an easy way to find out I suppose (another R&D speriment). Or is it just lighting from the generated heat? It's a heck of an accomplishment to idle and transition as it apparently does

Maybe Clarence Lee can shed some light on this. He's the tired old guy on the glow side.

bcchi 11-18-2015 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MTK (Post 12128761)
Curious....do you suppose there is catalytic action between the element and the 10% etoh? If one were to use pure gas, it's an easy way to find out I suppose (another R&D speriment). Or is it just lighting from the generated heat? It's a heck of an accomplishment to idle and transition as it apparently does

Maybe Clarence Lee can shed some light on this. He's the tired old guy on the glow side.

I can buy eth free gas. More R&DThen will try E-85 more R&D.LOL.Have not had time this week to do any R&D.We want to try a inverted mounted engine. I believe the gas is heating the plug coil. Going to get winter here some day. All
of storms have been messing us.Clarance Lee was a big help in getting us started in the Ign business.He done a report on the OS,15 Said something about it running like a diesel,and you want high compression.This totally wrong.
I am going to lower compression on the DL 20 and see if it stops the detonation.Seems like it is very important of placement of the heating coil.Still no plugs from Tower.
The early Zenoah G-26 will not run on the GG.Has real deep plug threads.Maybe could be machined.I think the newer one might be OK. I am going to try the OS hot turbo plug.It has a different thread don't no what the thread is yet.Will have to rework a adapter or make a new one. The Enya GG had a different thread looks like the same as os turbo plug. They had a very expensive oil they said you had to use,and would not run on regular two stroke oil.I think the Enya was a failure but they were way expensive.But the OS 10 and 15 GG are not cheap.
BCCHI Tired OLd CH guy.

w8ye 11-18-2015 08:06 PM

Late December? $12.99

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEJRG

http://www2.gpmd.com/imagel/o/losmg2714.jpg

bcchi 11-18-2015 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by w8ye (Post 12129218)

YES they have been shipped.Will have to find time to do more R&D.
BCCHI

av8tor1977 11-18-2015 09:29 PM

I have a lot of hours flying this setup with numerous different engines. It uses a mix of 1/3 glow fuel to 2/3's gas. This provides enough methanol for a reliable catalytic reaction with the OS four stroke glow plug we used. Very reliable operation with easy starting, a very low idle speed, and a noticeable power gain. Interesting that OS jumped on the Gas/Glow "bandwagon". I too wonder what the difference is with their GG glow plug.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...-glow-how.html

AV8TOR

bcchi 11-19-2015 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by av8tor1977 (Post 12129246)
I have a lot of hours flying this setup with numerous different engines. It uses a mix of 1/3 glow fuel to 2/3's gas. This provides enough methanol for a reliable catalytic reaction with the OS four stroke glow plug we used. Very reliable operation with easy starting, a very low idle speed, and a noticeable power gain. Interesting that OS jumped on the Gas/Glow "bandwagon". I too wonder what the difference is with their GG glow plug.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...-glow-how.html

AV8TOR

Yes and I wunder what the difference is between the OS 15 Gas and spark and the OS 15 GG.Compression porting ? Your fuel mix is what we used years ago in four stroker converted to spark.Spent a couple of winters in Benson AZ
I flew at sierra Vista.
BCCHI

av8tor1977 11-20-2015 07:57 AM

I grew up on the other side of the Dragoon Mountains in Pearce/Sunsites. LOTS of out of the way places to fly there. I've landed full size planes at Benson and Sierra Vista many times. I don't think the old Benson airport by the freeway is there anymore. One of my old students lives in Benson and is building a LSA aircraft.

AV8TOR

captinjohn 11-20-2015 12:01 PM

Great to hear from you Bill. We are in Florida & it is hot, but plan to do some flying as my hand heals up from surgery. The left thumb & 2 fingers are quite numb yet. They say it could be permanent....hope not. I have always really enjoyed reading your postings. In short...I have also learned a lot from you. Take Care & God Bess.

bcchi 11-25-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by captinjohn (Post 12130009)
Great to hear from you Bill. We are in Florida & it is hot, but plan to do some flying as my hand heals up from surgery. The left thumb & 2 fingers are quite numb yet. They say it could be permanent....hope not. I have always really enjoyed reading your postings. In short...I have also learned a lot from you. Take Care & God Bess.

HI John,
Finelly winter has come to Wy.I don't mind winter time to build airplanes.I am a stick builder.No flying this past week end. I did do some engine R&D.We run my friends Evolution 15 on Gas glo also the Valley view 20.Both seemed to run OK.
Had to use starter on the Evo 15.VV20 would hand start after warm up. I will leave my engines on spark.I remember the glo plug days.Glo battery always dead,can't find it,loaned to fellow flier and etc.
There are some fliers that just can not get along with the ignition systems and Walbro type carbs.Maybe they can use the gas glo.I do not no why I am doing this .I guess I just like to do R&D.Or maybe just dumb.
Happy Thanksgiving
BCCHI.AMA 2500

Truckracer 11-25-2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bcchi (Post 12129700)
Yes and I wunder what the difference is between the OS 15 Gas and spark and the OS 15 GG.Compression porting ? Your fuel mix is what we used years ago in four stroker converted to spark.Spent a couple of winters in Benson AZ
I flew at sierra Vista.
BCCHI

Not sure about the head / compression differences but OS parts lists the same cylinder liner for the GGT 15, the ignition 15 and the glo 91FX.

kerwin50 11-25-2015 03:06 PM

I'm so glad you are doing this r&d. I have both DLE 30 and 20. If there is anyway I can shed the weight of the ign system , would seriously consider it.

bcchi 11-25-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Truckracer (Post 12132454)
Not sure about the head / compression differences but OS parts lists the same cylinder liner for the GGT 15, the ignition 15 and the glo 91FX.

Well that just about answers that question.No one here has the OS 15 Ignition ,so we can try this engine on GG.What about the piston.
BCCHI The snow is heading your way.We have it today ,tonight and tomorrow.Looks like flying is over for awhile. No more R&D at the model park for awhile.
BCCHI Happy Thanksgiving.

dirtybird 11-26-2015 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bcchi (Post 12132623)
Well that just about answers that question.No one here has the OS 15 Ignition ,so we can try this engine on GG.What about the piston.
BCCHI The snow is heading your way.We have it today ,tonight and tomorrow.Looks like flying is over for awhile. No more R&D at the model park for awhile.

I lived in Norway for seven years in the late '50s. The best flying time was in the winter with the frozen lakes and fjords. Unlimited landing fields. Like the dry lakes of the SW. Try flying off of snow with skis.

I am going to have to get one of those GGplugs. My NGH 26 takes a 1/4x32 plug

MTK 11-26-2015 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bcchi (Post 12132623)

Bill,

I have the OS GT15. It's the sweetest engine around it seems. I'm using the stock ignition. The pluses: sweetheart with great field manners, incredibly quiet on a soft rubber iso mount. Minuses: it's a heavy sucker, muffler alone is almost 9 ounces, not the most powerful, turning the 14x8 apc at 8500 only (avgas so I'm losing a bit there). On granelli's MA report he got 9200 on the same prop, so there's something amiss there, maybe.

I originally planned to get the GG but it took so long to get here I lost interest and sent the glow stuff back and got the CDi version.

Looking at specs, the two engines share everything except the heads, cases and CDI. I've got to believe the cases' only difference is one has a Hall sensor/magnet and the other doesn't.

Well, it's going to be 63, partly cloudy and low breeze 2morrow in NJ, so I'm going to try to get out possibly for the last time this year. Cold and rain this weekend

kerwin50 11-28-2015 08:58 PM

I was hoping to hear how to lower the compression of the DLE 20 for the glow plug

bcchi 11-28-2015 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by kerwin50 (Post 12133780)
I was hoping to hear how to lower the compression of the DLE 20 for the glow plug

Add another cylinder gasket or maybe two if still detonating.I am not really sure compression is causing this problem. Have more R&D to do.
BCCHI

captinjohn 11-29-2015 06:11 PM

I have used the upper part of a sock (streaky part) to place on cyl in very cold weather.....helps a lot. Holds some heat in where all the bigger fins are that carry away heat ! John

kerwin50 12-07-2015 08:09 AM

Where can I get a glow plug adaptor that fits a DLE engine

kmeyers 12-07-2015 11:48 AM

Off the top of my head 3 places come to mind, but, since Bill sold C&H to Adrian. Here is one place:
C&H (10mm-1/4in 32)

http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...oller=category

kerwin50 12-07-2015 05:22 PM

I really don't want to put another gasket under the cylinder. That will change my port timing.
I was wondering if the oil ratio would vary the timing.
Could I add an extra squish band under the adaptor to reduce the compression.
What are some of the other glow plugs I've hears mentioned