RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Brison 4.2 prop? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/3067761-brison-4-2-prop.html)

xtraflyr 06-12-2005 09:06 PM

Brison 4.2 prop?

Hey there,
I have one of the older Brison 4.2s,it has the gold anodized crankcase.. I'm flying it in a Lanier 1/3 scale Laser. Anyone have any idea what prop will work,or any other ideas for this motor? Right now I'm using a 22x10 pro Zinger..
Thanks,
Frank

BAS 06-13-2005 05:53 AM

RE: Brison 4.2 prop?

Menz 24/10 or 3w 24/10 i use both on my Brison 4.2 also look at a MSC 24/10 you are way under proped on the 22/10

xtraflyr 06-13-2005 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: BAS

Menz 24/10 or 3w 24/10 i use both on my Brison 4.2 also look at a MSC 24/10 you are way under proped on the 22/10
Thanks for the input... What mixture and what brand of mix do you use? I tried it with 32:1 its what i had already mixed for my DA 50. I figured more oil is better then less..
Thanks,
Frank

BAS 06-13-2005 03:09 PM

More oil is not better always it depends on what brand , you are opening a can of worms on that discussion just get a good sythetic like amsoil 100 to 1 mix and run it 80 to 1 which is about 1.5 ozs per gallon to much oil can carbon up and make your rings stick .

xtraflyr 06-13-2005 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: BAS

More oil is not better always it depends on what brand , you are opening a can of worms on that discussion just get a good sythetic like amsoil 100 to 1 mix and run it 80 to 1 which is about 1.5 ozs per gallon to much oil can carbon up and make your rings stick .
Great thanks again!!:D

jlchapman 06-17-2005 12:23 AM

Hey xtraflyr,

I have the same brison 4.2 that I bought in 1995. I just sent it back to Brison for a check up. They are also updating the mechanical advance and something with the nylon ring. It will be interesting to see if it runs any different. The motor always ran fine, but it has been sitting for a couple of years. I have always used the zinger 22x10 prop. If I remember right it tachs 6700 rpm. This is with the very restrictive slimline pitts muffler. I'm also at about 4400ft. Brison said with the 22x10 prop and open exhaust they have readings of 7300 rpm. I run all my Brison motors with a 80 to 1 ratio using synthetic oil. Enjoy!

xtraflyr 06-17-2005 03:08 PM

jlchapman,

Thanks for the input;). Please keep me posted on the updates.. Im goin to try the suggested 24x8 or x10 and see how it goes..
I gotto find out who has some synthetic mix around me so I can fly this weekend..

What weight and size plane did you have it in? My Laser is about 21#it flies it well with the 22x10 Menz Z

Thanks,
Frank Gelatka

jlchapman 06-17-2005 03:33 PM

Frank,

My plane is the Lanier Laser 200 kit. I love the plane, but the plastic wing cover and turtle deck are a pain in the butt. If I did it again I would use balsa covered foam for the turtledeck and wing cover. If I remember right is was 22lbs. I just bought a lightened Tru-Turn spinner that is 3oz lighter than my old spinner. I had to have 9oz of weight in the tail to get it to balance with the old spinner. I should be able to get rid of the tail weight. As soon as my motor comes back I'll weigh the plane again and let you know. I also had Brison put a velocity stack on my motor. later, Jerry

xtraflyr 06-17-2005 04:28 PM

Jerry,
Mine is also the kit. But I messed up the wings so I just went and bought the ARF wings for it. The fit very well . I only had to file out the holes for the pins on the wings.

I got the batteries about 6" behind the canopy in the fuse. IT balanced out perfect I had a spinner from my GP Eagle and it looks nice.. Im using a 6volt battery on the ignition and so far no problems.. I also am using a 6 volt for the radio gear..
A friend of mine built me a muffler for it. It looks like a Bisson side mount type but very light!! And it's polished to a high luster..
I'd send you a pic but it's in my dads trailer at his house..

Talk to you soon,
Frank

Riverdancer 06-18-2005 06:16 PM

Extraflyer,

I am just finally getting mine running.. I have tried several props and the best one so far is the Bolly 24 x 10 wood. Turning 63-6400 on the ground and flys very well in the air.. Very good performance on a 23# Lanier Edge 540.

Good Luck,

Riverdancer

xtraflyr 06-18-2005 06:42 PM

Riverdancer,
Thanks for your input..The LHS only had a 24x8 Pro Zinger so I'm goin to go with that for tomarrow.. Now I dont have any synthetic mix.I could'nt find any around me before this weekend.. So I'm using the lawnboy ashless and give that a try.
I cant wait to try it again!!!![sm=bananahead.gif]
Take care and thanks,
Frank

Riverdancer 06-20-2005 01:14 PM

Your Welcome Xtraflyr,

Good luck, I tried a Menz S 24 x 8 and found it a bit slow and I had to carry a bit of power on the landing.

let me know how it works for you.

Take Care,

Riverdancer

xtraflyr 06-20-2005 03:31 PM

Hey Riverdancer,

I tried it and your right you do need to keep the throttle up until you land.. Im not sure if I have the carb adjusted right or not,or the ignition isnt right.. Are you running yours on 4.8 or 6volt? I've got a 6 volt on mine maybe thats it.. Sounds kinda burbly.had it to lean on the ground and when I reved it up she wanted to stall so I richened it up some.. it wont stall but it's just not smooth.
What kind of muffler are you using? Mine is a brisson look alike,I had a friend make me one up to their specs..
Take it easy,
Frank

Riverdancer 06-21-2005 04:22 PM

Good Day Xtraflyr,

I am using 4.8 volts.. I also have a bisson muffler as well with 1 in pipes on it. Flew it today and I am getting the mixture sorted out.. It was going rich on the down lines but seems to be behaving now. Still wants to go rich on the sharp pull ups. I haven't figured that out yet :0) 21lbs should be a nice weight for the Laser.. As for the burbling.. I would say you are on the rich side..if it was lean it would sound flatter.

Pretty warm here today..not getting unlimited vertical but still pretty good. Looking forward to your report. I would have liked to try the 23 x 10 today.. slowly I am getting this thing dialed in

Enjoy your day

Riverdancer

chasrb 06-28-2005 03:58 PM

I found this forum while looking for some info on my Brison 4.2 (gold). I too have a 1/3 Lainer Laser 200 that I bought and have stripped off all the bad covering. It's in decent shape, but I need to see some documentation on where things go. I have the downloaded pdf from Lanier, but since this is my first gasser I'd like to know where everything should go per mfg specs. Does anyone have details or other doc. for this plane? Did Lanier offer any pdf's of the plans?

Does anyone have photos of the setup they have in the plane?

Thanks

jlchapman 06-28-2005 04:16 PM

I got my 4.2 back from Brison. I haven't had time to try it yet but the tag says it does 7490 rpm with a 22x10 zinger pro. My understanding is this is with an open exchaust. I have a 22x10 zinger pro so I'll have to see how it runs here. But in the Laser I run a slimline pitts exhaust that is restrictive. I'll have to do some testing to see how restrictive. I'm impressed with the way the motor came back, they now cover the cylinder and carb with some heat shrink plastic. I'll post when I have it running.

Jerry

xtraflyr 06-28-2005 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: chasrb

I found this forum while looking for some info on my Brison 4.2 (gold). I too have a 1/3 Lainer Laser 200 that I bought and have stripped off all the bad covering. It's in decent shape, but I need to see some documentation on where things go. I have the downloaded pdf from Lanier, but since this is my first gasser I'd like to know where everything should go per mfg specs. Does anyone have details or other doc. for this plane? Did Lanier offer any pdf's of the plans?

Does anyone have photos of the setup they have in the plane?

Thanks
hey chasrb,

What info are you looking for? The CG is on the tube,I believe they have the throws they recommend on their website..
I don't have the plane at my house,it's in my dads trailer so I cant take any pics yet..

The two rudder servos go into the bottom servo bay in the back of the fuse(one on either side of the fuse) and the elev. servos go into the top servo bay on either side of the fuse. I have my throttle servo in back of the firewall and my reciever and ignition batteries are in the turtle deck behind the cockpit mounted on a 1/4" piece of light ply.. the fuel tank is in front of the wingtube..

I hope this helps some!!!;)

Frank

chasrb 06-28-2005 08:04 PM

Yep, it helps, but the guy I bought this from made some....changes. I'll post the pics here if the forum doesn't mind.

Thanks

jlchapman 06-29-2005 09:30 AM

Chasrb -- Give me a couple of days and I can post some pictures. Let me know what shots you want. Mine has been sitting for some time, so I'm doing kind of a rebuild. New tank, switches, fuel lines, update ign and motor, changing the placement of some equipment and replacing extensions. I built the Laser almost 10 years ago and the plane is in great shape. This was my first gasser and now I like to do some things different. Go ahead and post some pictures.

Frank -- You mount the ignition and rx battery together and you have no problems with interference? I always try to keep those two circuits as far apart as possible.

Jerry

xtraflyr 06-29-2005 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: jlchapman

Chasrb -- Give me a couple of days and I can post some pictures. Let me know what shots you want. Mine has been sitting for some time, so I'm doing kind of a rebuild. New tank, switches, fuel lines, update ign and motor, changing the placement of some equipment and replacing extensions. I built the Laser almost 10 years ago and the plane is in great shape. This was my first gasser and now I like to do some things different. Go ahead and post some pictures.

Frank -- You mount the ignition and rx battery together and you have no problems with interference? I always try to keep those two circuits as far apart as possible.

Jerry
Hey Jerry,

Yeah I have them mounted together I didnt notice any problems,but I think I may move them apart just in case. I'll have to move something else to help out my CG though.. I didnt think there would be a problem with the batteries next to each other. I do have the ignition far away from the reciever.

The first time I ran it up with the new motor I did have some interferance then had nothing because the reciever battery unplugged itself from tne reciever. I ended up using some silicone and a rubber band to make sure the rest of them stayed plugged..
I then had no more glitches..So I guess with the battery plug getting loose that was causing the interferance..

I just ordered a Bolly 24x10 from Aircraft International,should be in soon then Ill try that Sunday..

Later, Frank

chasrb 07-02-2005 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jerry, here are the photos of the Laser I am restoring.

The wings are in good shape so I did not include them. In the eng box pic I am thinking about replaceing it with eng. stand offs, not sure of that is a good move or not. From what I can tell from my 1/4 scale Laser this has been ripped apart on the inside and had the sides replaced with frame.

zeng62 07-03-2005 02:11 PM

I would try the 24-10 Pro Zinger, in some tests I did I saw 5 LB's or more thrust than the 24-10 Zinger.

Riverdancer 07-05-2005 04:56 PM

Good day Xtraflyr,

I have beed doing more flying (Nice change) The 24 x 10 Bolly "Wood" takes first place so far.. I have not flown with the carbon 24's yet they may be better. Turning 6300 on the ground with a bison wrap arround pitts. ( 1 inch pipes) The performance is a little off the mark above 80F. Not sure what your temps are but normal for here is around the 70 degree mark..very good performance.

Enjoy your summer..

Riverdancer

xtraflyr 07-05-2005 05:27 PM

Hey Riverdancer,

I got one of the Bolly 24x10s I haven't been able to try it yet:( Maybe if I get a chance this week I'll get to try it. I got other plans for the weekend (again)..

Thanks for your input,
Frank

Riverdancer 07-06-2005 09:06 AM

Good Day Xtraflyr,

Sounds great... I'll Look forward to hearing the flight report :)

Take Care,

Riverdaner