RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/3155992-has-anyone-received-their-evolution-26gt-gasser-yet.html)

Dart373 07-21-2005 08:20 PM

RE: Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ?

Wally, that looks like a great mount.

sergeflavigne 07-25-2005 01:09 PM

Yes I have, I got mine last week from Chief Aircraft, I'm now looking for a Bisson inverted muffler for it. The Engine is very nice, It's going in my Extreme Flight YAK 55. Enyone know where I might a Bisson muffler for it. It's the same muffler that fits the MVVS 1.6 Bisson # 5517.

cadconversions 07-25-2005 02:35 PM

Since it's the same motor I would think that the bisson would fit. Measure your distance between the muffler mounting holes and send it to bisson. They should be able to tell you if it will. In fact, they may already have a measurement to make sure themselves.

Not24 07-25-2005 09:45 PM

I am waiting patiently for the flight report yet to come on the Funtana with this engine. The gas engine costs as much as a YS 110, but after that, it's a lot cheaper, and because it's a 2 stroke, should be less to maintain. I'm not implying that the performance between these two engines would be comparable, but the price is. For someone who just wants a good looking good performing sport plane that stays clean, I think this engine and the Funtana would be a great setup. It will help to move the cg forward also, which will deprive it of its 3D capabilities. My Funtana is hanging on the wall with no engine, and I can't decide which way to go with it. Gas sure is enticing.

Dart373 07-25-2005 09:53 PM

I am trying to get rid of my Funtana and put this motor in an airplane that does other things besides hover and High Alpha. I do not like my Funtana, much less with a way too heavy motor. I dont think you'll like it. It would be a cummins diesel in a real Edge or Extra, lots of power, but weighs what a 737 motor weighs... go figure..

cadconversions 07-25-2005 10:48 PM

My MVVS 1.6 is going in a Carl Goldberg Pitts M12. Should be a blast but that model has a lot of wing area since it's a bipe. Don't know the wing area of the Funtana. Just not very interested in that plane.

Dart373 07-25-2005 11:01 PM

I am biased I guess, but the Funtana is a high Alpha plane. It gets surface flutter at 16 mph and rips off the wings, and of course the huge tail stall tendencies.... If all you CAN do is hover..... go for it... If you an actually fly a plane 3D... well, uh, Get another plane...

MalteS 07-26-2005 01:02 AM

We have a couple of people flying the funtana with the MVVS over here. With a tuned pipe power should be sufficient. I've seen one at a local flight show once (that was with a Std. ZG26, but they have similar performance) flying more or less regular aerobatics. I agree that it's not the perfect plane for it but there is certainly more that you can do besides hover.

(btw. which funtana are we talking about ? --- I've seen the one from emhw (www.emhw.de) the later version has a profiled elevator which makes it more precise)

Dart373 07-26-2005 09:21 AM

Talking about the Funtana 90 by H9....

Not24 07-26-2005 04:48 PM

So then, in your opinion, the Funtana is a pos with any motor and a big pos with a heavy one? Don't be bashfull, I don't really like it much myself, that's why I'm not flying it. I have made full throttle runs with no flutter with an os 1.08, but my engine is a little weak right now due to a rebuild and re break in. People say how light it flies, but mine flew heavy at 10 pounds. Maybe I should just forget that airframe like so many others have done and move on to something that flies better?

Dart373 07-26-2005 04:54 PM

Well, this is not a Funtana thread, so I want to keep in on topic. But my opinion, not everybody likes a Porsche,Corvette,Viper, etc. I have run my Funtana at 8lbs 6 oz and multiple cg's. I have put a Saito 1.50 in at 10.5 lbs at all cgs. I think it feels like the tail stalls before the wing, which I feel is a good High Alpha plane, but thats not all I go to do. The best Funtana pilot in my opinion is a kid named Kyle out of Washington state I believe and he is pretty much post stall the whole flight. Its just not for me. Bang for buck, sure is. But not my style. As for the 26 in it, thats a lot of weight even though it has a decent power/weight for a gasser. I would be interested to know how it does in the Funtana. I'll be glad when I crash my Funtana so I can get the motor/servos back.. :)

Not24 07-26-2005 09:01 PM

Yeah, That Kyle kid is amazing. I have all his videos. He's the main reason I haven't stomped on my Funtana. I am glad to hear that you have really explored the envelope with yours. Now I know it's not just me. Back to the topic, like you said. Would this evo engine be a compatible replacement for a ST 2300? In other words, are the power and weight about the same? I like to design my own models, and building one for gas would be way cool. The weight of the engine doesn't much matter because my wing loading is so light on my planes. I have zero experience with gas, and I was wondering what the power curve was like. Do they like to putt along at 1/4 throttle? And how noisy is this particular engine compared to a glow engine of similar power?

Rudeboy 07-27-2005 12:45 PM

The MVVS/EVO 1.6 is very quiet on an MVVS tuned pipe... a lot more quiet than most glow engines... it kind of sounds like a well muffled dirt bike, but less loud of course.

Dirtnapper 08-01-2005 08:23 PM

Rysium, Just got back from an extended work trip... did you turn those standoffs? They are sweeeeeet! Do you know anyone who does that for a business or do you ? Great job, Napper

RysiuM 08-01-2005 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirtnapper
Rysium, Just got back from an extended work trip... did you turn those standoffs? They are sweeeeeet! Do you know anyone who does that for a business or do you ? Great job, Napper

Yes, I did them. First I did a set for Brison 2.4, then I found, I need a little longer, so I made another set. Then I made another set for MVVS.
No big deal making then if you have mini lathe. It just takes some time as I needed to remove a lot of material. I started with 1 ft long 1-1/4 aluminum rod (costs about 7 dollars), cut it to four pieces and turn each to 12mm diameter on entire length except a small foot on one end. So starting from 31.75mm diameter I had to remove almost 85% ot them mass. It translates to 'big pile of chips':D

That the reason I don't do it for business - I just make parts for myself. I believe RC Showcase sales such kind of stand-offs. See their website [link=http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/accessories/mounts.html#standoffs]http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/accessories/mounts.html#standoffs[/link]

http://www.rcshowcase.com/images/acc.../standoffs.jpg

RysiuM

Dart373 08-01-2005 10:18 PM

Wow....

Dirtnapper 08-08-2005 12:59 AM

Well, just got back from another work trip and while away I decided to get an MVVS radial mount and a tuned pipe and see if I can get it to fit in my Goldberg Sukhoi. Sounds like it really helps performance. Hopefully my radial mount and standoffs will look half as good as RysiuM's.

Norman 09-20-2005 10:31 PM

Last week I got to test fly my 1\4 scale Laser 200 with a Evolution 26 GT. Flew it Sat, Sun and Tues and enjoyed it more every time I flew it. Have never flown a Laser before and the motor had surperb performance. Almost unlimited vertical with the motor running very rich and not over 1\2 throttle on normal flight.

Norman

RysiuM 09-21-2005 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Norman
Almost unlimited vertical with the motor running very rich and not over 1\2 throttle on normal flight.
That's the prop and what's the plane weight?

One note, why do you run it rich? Gas motors unlike glow don't need to be broken in by running rich. For breaking in you use optimum mixture setting, just just more oil in the gas. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's what I was been told by 'big guys'.

RysiuM

rmh 09-21-2005 06:09 AM

The EVO26 -easy to start -runs very well and on the tuned pipe assy- responsive .
If you are are doing a good aerobatic model of -1000-1200 sq in weighing all up at under 11 lbs you will love it .
The engine/pipe setup as is - on 18x6 prop runs close to 9000 right off the bat
On 17x8 (I like it better) over 9000 right of the bat . cold or hot restarts very easy.
Will it work in Funtana?
Absolutely - the Funtana is 1100 squares .
I did one with a Roto 25 on a pipe was a nice setup - not as strong as a YS 1.4 setup but still a lot of fun.
The Roto weighs about 8 ounces more than the EVO but the whole thing balanced easily .
As of yet -I have not seen any models which are perfectly suited to the 26 gassers with possible exception the new ULTRA 202 . The construcion is excellent (same as my EFYAK) and weight wise -size wise looks very good .
Just a hint - those in cowl mufflers?
they simply kill any real performance on these small gassers.
Any of em

DaveR 09-22-2005 11:16 PM

Dick, how well do you think the EVO or MVVS on pipe would fly a 2-meter pattern plane? There are several planes that would come in under 11lbs with this motor. Mind you, I'm not talking about FAI or Masters, but Sportsmen and Intermediate. I figure that it would allow cheap practice for a guy that's just trying to learn to fly straight and do the lower schedules.

rmh 09-23-2005 06:39 AM

Based on what I have flown with it , the combo is very good .
the formula looks to be --17x8 prop such as Mejzlic shape and the Skoerpa 17x8 is a excellent match to the engine .
At under 11 lbs performance is excellent -It does stop, start verticals, hovers with very good vertical recovery acceleration .
The combo is quiet and mine is a true one flip start setup - It is turning 9100 on the ground-9400 in level flight.
Vibration is extremely low-no soft mount needed
Why?
spark ignition retards the firing at low rpm
When I did my ST2300 -on pipe I got exactly same result - the spark ignition -setup idled much more smoothly than the glow setup and I was using glow fuel -same carb -and got more top end (9000 on APC 18x8).
You need a pattern plane ARF which weighs UNDER 5 lbs - 1000 sq inches.to get to this combo. The fuel tank for pattern will be 10 ounces.
Honestly -I see no reason this setup will not fly any of the FAI schedules.
- if you do not use the full pipe setup - do not expect performance even remotely this good.
The only reason for not using this arrangement -is that - you don't know about it.

wingster 09-23-2005 06:31 PM

Dick

Is prop noise an issue with 17 and 18 props turning at 9000 rpm?