RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   RCS 44 twin starting problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/805675-rcs-44-twin-starting-problems.html)

kevin mcgrath 05-26-2003 07:49 PM

RCS 44 twin starting problems

With perhaps 1/2 hour of time on it my new twin is a bear to start particularly from warm.I have checked everything I can imagine,including a new ignition from RCS....no soap,,,,,,It will pop using my usual drill,but refuses to catch.Before it goes back on warranty I'm interested in anyone else,s experience with this engine good or bad........

Thanks............Kevin

dirtybird 05-26-2003 10:22 PM

starting twin

Using the following drill mine starts easily hot or cold:
1)Open throttle,close choke and turn on the ignition.
2) crank by hand until it pops.
3) close throttle,open choke.
4) hand crank until it starts- usually in two or three flips.
If it won't start with this drill I would send it back. There might be something wrong with the hall effect pick up.

kevin mcgrath 05-27-2003 01:03 AM

When you say throttle do you mean choke?

dirtybird 05-27-2003 01:19 AM

Sorry, I forgot the choke.
See the revised sequence.

AeroSports 05-31-2003 04:27 PM

>dirtybird said
>1)Open throttle,close choke and turn on the ignition.

I think it is safer to keep the iginition off when chocking.

dirtybird 06-01-2003 04:23 PM

ignition

Originally posted by AeroSports
>dirtybird said
>1)Open throttle,close choke and turn on the ignition.

I think it is safer to keep the iginition off when chocking.

With the ignition off you don't know when to stop choking.

kevin mcgrath 06-01-2003 08:15 PM

I have always used the ignition on,full choke,flip til it fires etc....method,and RCS reccomend it in the literature that comes with the engine too.
Ialso use a positive restraint device AKA pickle fork to make sure the model doesnt lurch forward.
Incidentally after trying everything I know to get this little b*****d to start when warm,including a replacement carb,and a new module,I reluctantly sent it back to Mr Dooley and Co.,for them to solve.
Im betting on the sensor buried inside the engine.........which I chose not to mess with.....

dirtybird 06-01-2003 11:26 PM

starting

When I first got my twin I had trouble starting it. RCS replaced the module and I still had trouble. I removed the sensor from the back of the engine and found some metal shavings on it. I removed the shavings and cleaned out the hole. I have not had any trouble since. I don't know if this was the trouble buit it sure seems like it. RCS didn't like the idea of me removing that sensor.

dwbasham. 06-04-2003 12:08 AM

rcs twin

I am very interested in purchasing one of these as it is the perfect size for the GP 1/3 Pitts.

Any major complaints, how about actual wt as compared to stated wt. Power, etc. Have read the above about warm start problems.

Wonder how the metal part got into the pickup in the first place, is it excessive engine wear?

Any other information would be helpful, like RCS new revisions to the original engine, etc.

dirtybird 06-05-2003 12:01 AM

twin

I think its just left over machineing. Its not unusual on a new engine.
My engine turns a 22-8 at about 6500 and it seems to be getting stronger.

kevin mcgrath 06-05-2003 12:11 AM

Actually I didnt want to send the engine back to RCS but I ran out of ideas.Otherwise I was impressed with it,and even with only half an hour running it was picking up rpm with every run and the idle was notably lower and smoother as I dialed it in.Im still very much looking forward to running this little twin and Im sure RCS will do whats necessary to give me an easy starting engine as these normally are.
Incidentally I was getting >6000 with 40/1 petro oil,a rich setting,and a Zinger 20x10 right out of the box which I consider quite good.......

rc bugman 06-05-2003 09:57 PM

While I was running my RCS-44, I was getting 67-6800 rpms with a 20 x 8. It is currently on the shelf looking for a home.

Elson