RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

w8ye 12-18-2011 06:56 PM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Sig makes the 4-Star 120 ARF. It is the big version of the 40. Flies even better.
The ARF is not in stock yet

brockettman 12-18-2011 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Brockettman and Zippi,

You guys are going to have sooooo much power on those planes!

The Rascal will be like a pylon racer. You may need to add a tail hook and put in some field arresting gear to get it to stop.

The 4-Star will have out of sight vertical performance. If you clip a bay off each wing, the roll rate will be a lot quicker and it will not act like a glider on landing.
Well, I don't know about being a pylon racer. I'll be running a Vess 18.5X5.5 prop. I'm looking for torque and not speed. I'm hoping the Syssa 30cc has enough power to hover the Rascal 110 at 12.5 lbs and have a little pull out. With the rear exhaust it's going to make a nice clean install. Sig has the new Rascal 110's in now and will be shipping on Monday. Just in time for the holidays.
Can you get the 120 size airplane that is a big version of the 4 Star Forty?
Yep, the kit is available but the ARF is not in stock
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...rt_20Models_01

Joystick TX 12-18-2011 07:34 PM

I could swear there were two of them at our field. Seems like they showed up a year or so ago. Guess they aren't ARF's. The guys did a good job of covering them, both are red and look great.

It is interesting how the 120 sized planes have really started to take over during the last two years. This year, the big increase seems to be the 50cc planes, almost all of them are ARFs.

w8ye 12-19-2011 03:12 AM

I could swear there were two of them at our field. Seems like they showed up a year or so ago.Guess they aren't ARF's. The guys did a good job of covering them, both are red and look great.

It is interesting how the 120 sized planes have really started to take over during the last two years. This year, the big increase seems to be the 50cc planes,almost allof them areARFs.
You are probably correct.

Sig has been out of the ARF business for close to three years and are just now getting back into it. So you will see some old ARF's but the Kadet Senior and Rascal 110 are the first new ones

Joystick TX 12-19-2011 04:11 AM

I know some guys at the field that have ARFs that are several years old and still in the box they came in. I can't wait to put them together once I get them.

I need to see if the 4-Star 120s are kits or old ARF's; they are sure in good shape.

The only planes that take me a long time to put together are the scratch built ones; going on two years now for the Bell Hop. On one hand, I want to get it finished, but on the other hand, it may not fly the way I expect and I don't want to be disappointed.

bcchi 12-19-2011 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

It would be nice to see one of these smaller ignitions.:D

What is your mailing address.
BC

hyflyer9 12-21-2011 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

I'm getting ready to order my second engine, glad for the reminder about the tone inserts. I know I'd have forgoten to order them.

Have you run your engine with and without the inserts to see what the difference is in the noise level?

I ran one of mine without the tone inserts. UG! It was not nice. Not that it was so loud..but the tone hurt my ears at full throttle. (Guess that's why he calls them Tone inserts) All three of mine now have them.

Good luck!
For you guys who don't like the loud bark sound of the Engine without the inserts try what we are doing here in Canada give the intire muffler a thin coat of Red high temp RTV and you will notice a big difference in the sound it takes the tinny sound and bark out for sure

Joystick TX 12-21-2011 09:39 AM

Great idea, low cost too.

Are you guys still flying in the cold weather?

I spent 18 months in Happy Valley, Labrador and flew almost year round. We had to start the engines indoors and run outside to fly. I had a great homemade cover for my TX and hands but it was only good for short flights in below zero weather. Battery life was terrible, one short flight per charge.

I remember when I first got there, the kids were playing ice hockey in the street, they only had a knit cap, pants and a thin sweater on. I had everything I owned on and was freezing to death.

Syssa Pilot 12-21-2011 11:54 AM

The RTV  might  also reduce vibration  and help with the muffler problem. Did you see the  new AMA  magazine did a write up on the SAP180. First time anything in a national mag I think. Todd is going to have to increase production. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, Dave

Antique 12-21-2011 12:21 PM

Takes volume to be quiet, can't have it both ways withoug losing performance...

hyflyer9 12-21-2011 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That RTV coating on the myffler trick does work very well for sure just make sure that you clean the muffler with assitone or laqour thinner very well and do not handle it after it has been cleaned as the oils from your fingers or hands will make the RTV not stick very good to the muffler see attached photo of what it should look like after it has been done and this engine has been flown in about 20 flights plus about an Hour in the test stand I guarantee it you will notice the difference . The man who told me about this was at an imaac event last summer and they checked all aircraft for sound levels and his was the quietest for the whole event .
Please pay no attention to the date of the photo's as i just haven't bothered to reset the date and time on my camera

rc34074 12-22-2011 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

That RTV coating on the myffler trick does work very well for sure just make sure that you clean the muffler with assitone or laqour thinner very well and do not handle it after it has been cleaned as the oils from your fingers or hands will make the RTV not stick very good to the muffler see attached photo of what it should look like after it has been done and this engine has been flown in about 20 flights plus about an Hour in the test stand I guarantee it you will notice the difference . The man who told me about this was at an imaac event last summer and they checked all aircraft for sound levels and his was the quietest for the whole event .
Please pay no attention to the date of the photo's as i just haven't bothered to reset the date and time on my camera
Hmmm - that muffler looks sick - maybe it has some kind of disease? RTV disease :)

What would happen if you painted with high temperature paint? Maybe it wouldn't look so ugly:D

Sorry- - but if you have the muffler enclosed that would be ok I guess. Do tyou have any before and after DBA measurements? Or info from the guy who told you avout it on actual sound level measurements?

Thanks

Ed

hyflyer9 12-23-2011 07:53 PM

No but i will see what i can do for the mesurments for sure . this muffler has got a little dirty over some time and in the test stand and was in a crash i had to rebuild the engine hence the reason why it is in a test stand the crash was pilot error . But even still the muffler is still good and still as quiet as when i first coated it . I did try it befor i coated it and it was quit laud. And like you said it is inside the cowl and the only part you can see is the last 3/4" of the exhaust pipe and i am not so concerned about how the muffler looks as long as it is not as laud .

rc34074 12-24-2011 05:19 AM

You have found a real interesting idea there- Apparently it keeps the muffler from resonating. There may be other coatings that would do that too. It's a great idea.

Ed

JohnB96041 12-24-2011 07:45 AM

Merry Christmas to everyone

rmathews 12-24-2011 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Merry Christmas to everyone[font=''Times New Roman''][/font]
+1

Syssa Pilot 12-24-2011 05:38 PM

<font size="5" color="#ff0000">MERRY CHRISTMAS,<font color="#000000">  Dave</font></font></p>

captinjohn 12-24-2011 07:04 PM

<font size="5"><font color="#ff0000">MERRY CHRISTMAS,</font><font color="#000000">Capt,n!</font></font>

MTK 12-24-2011 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Hmmm - that muffler looks sick - maybe it has some kind of disease? RTV disease :)

What would happen if you painted with high temperature paint? Maybe it wouldn't look so ugly:D

Sorry- - but if you have the muffler enclosed that would be ok I guess. Do tyou have any before and after DBA measurements? Or info from the guy who told you avout it on actual sound level measurements?

Thanks

Ed
Ed,

This is a reasonable technique that the guy described. If you want to try it but want better looks, try putting fiberglass on the silicone rubber and work the silicone through the glass gently with your finger. It won't take long to get the job done. I've done that before on aluminum pipes and it helps a little. It's also a good way to do a minor repair on the exhaust system

rc34074 12-25-2011 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Thanks

Ed
Ed,

This is a reasonable technique that the guy described. If you want to try it but want better looks, try putting fiberglass on the silicone rubber and work the silicone through the glass gently with your finger. It won't take long to get the job done. I've done that before on aluminum pipes and it helps a little. It's also a good way to do a minor repair on the exhaust system

What I said was it looks lousy - never said it didn't work. But I did ask if he had dba data - that will show how effective/reasonable this technique actually is.

Also in my next message I also said I thought it was a great idea - but I also wonder if there isn't another way of getting the same result without the appearance of the red RTV. Your technique will still have the same basic appearance as his method, except yours will possibly eliminate the use of acetone which I don't want to use.

Ed

hyflyer9 12-26-2011 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just in case some are interested in installing the Syssa 30cc in the ESM P39 check out the photo's of my engine install .
The install is not yet complete but is just some minor adjustments is all plus linkage .

Joystick TX 12-28-2011 01:56 PM

hyflyer9 - I always liked the P-39. When I was a kid I never realized the engine was behind the pilot and the prop shaft was between his legs. Now I realize what a scary design that was.

I like the one they have in San Antonio, it was one they used for target practice. The pilot sat in an armored tub and his "buddies" would shoot at him with aluminum "frangible disc" bullets. Hope they gave him plenty of "hazardous duty pay."

I read the posts made by Dweeb7944 on his ESM P-39 Airacobra (not Aircobra) Build Log &amp; Review? Lots of lessons learned there. There were a lot of problems, some self-inflicted, but at least the plane flew okay on a 30cc gas engine. Hope your build goes better.

Looks like the Syssa is a way better fit than the DLE-30. Glad to see some fins sticking out into the airstream. Are you planning to put in some duct work to keep the engine crankcase cool?

Joystick TX 12-28-2011 02:38 PM

Yesterday, had some more "frozen finger" flights. My engine was not running good at all. I could not get the low end tuned to save my life. After two dead sticks, I brought her home.

I suspected it was a carb problem, so I did the screen replacement, that did not help, so I replaced the pump gasket. The kit did not have the black rubber one. The guy at the mower shop said they don't include that one in the carb kit anymore, so I had to go with the blue one. Our club tech site guy's carb info says this one does not pump as well as the black one.

Did more "frozen finger" flying early this morning. Temp was 38 degrees, with some wind gusts over 20 mph, not that the engine cared about the wind, but it was not fun adjusting the carb. I'm sick and tired of this bitter cold winter weather. I preset the adjustments per the manual and it dialed right in with no problems. Got in a few good flights with no more dead sticks.

hyflyer9 12-28-2011 02:42 PM

Joystick
Yes i am planning on adding some more cooling for the crank for sure the cowl does have some built in ports that i am planning on cutting out to improve the air flow .

hyflyer9 - I always liked the P-39. When I was a kid I never realized the engine was behind the pilot and the prop shaft was between his legs. Now I realize what a scary design that was.

I like the one they have in San Antonio, it was one they used for target practice. The pilot sat in an armored tub and his "buddies" would shoot at him with aluminum "frangible disc" bullets. Hope they gave him plenty of "hazardous duty pay."

I read the posts made by Dweeb7944 on his ESM P-39 Airacobra (not Aircobra) Build Log &amp; Review? Lots of lessons learned there. There were a lot of problems, some self-inflicted, but at least the plane flew okay on a 30cc gas engine. Hope your build goes better.

Looks like the Syssa is a way better fit than the DLE-30. Glad to see some fins sticking out into the airstream. Are you planning to put in some duct work to keep the engine crankcase cool?

NJRCFLYER2 12-29-2011 03:52 AM

From time-to-time, Tech-Aero Designs Ultra IBEC's may betemporarily out of stockat Syssa. If anyone needs an Ultra IBEC, they are alwaysin stock and available at the Tech-Aero Designs website.