Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

New EF1 ARF's by The World Models

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM
RobertV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

My Outrageous is about ready to fly. Thanks for the silver ToughLon you sent me to repair some damage I did to the original covering. I stayed simple with my trim work. The three color race numbers and checkerboard trim were printed on white vinyl by my local sign shop. It works great and keeps the trim thinner and lighter.

I just have to bolt down the cowl and tidy up the RX install and it's time to hit the pylon course.

Robert Vess

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1753 (Large).JPG
Views:	383
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1950517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754 (Large).JPG
Views:	399
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1950518  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Nice looking Robert. Just keep it out of my way when I am landing. Hehehe!! I have an Outrageous also and should have it completed in a week or so. I, as I am sure other are also, am interested in your evaluation of it's flight characteristics. Would you share what the final weight was?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM
RobertV

Originally Posted by BarryReade
Nice looking Robert. Just keep it out of my way when I am landing. Hehehe!! I have an Outrageous also and should have it completed in a week or so. I, as I am sure other are also, am interested in your evaluation of it's flight characteristics. Would you share what the final weight was?
Barry, I'll weigh it tomorrow and will post the number. My spot checks indicate that it will be just under the new NMPRA minimum of 3.5 pounds (which, in my opinion, is a little too much wing loading for this class of racing). But rules are rules.... I'll also be happy to post my flight evaluation comments when I get it in the air.

Last edited by RobertV; 12-23-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM
BarryReade

Yes, it is sad how rules become distorted and why. I will only have the Shoestring to compare my Outrageous to but that is ok.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM
DonStegall

I had a nice chat with Jerry Small who has flown the production models. He likes the flying characteristics. He did give me some useful information that I need to assemble and share with others. The planes fly well enough that he will possibly fly one at Phoenix.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 AM
RobertV

I just weighed my stock-built Outrageous and it comes out to 3 lb. - 8.4 oz with a TP2700 65C battery and 3 lb. - 9.2 oz with a Nano-Tech 2700 65C battery. So as I expected, it's just above the NMPRA minimum.

Also, Dan Kane emailed me a suggestion to put right thrust in this and most other EF-1's, which is something they have found that helps them "fly through the turns better". I haven't drilled for the cowl attach screws yet so this should be accommodated quite easily at this point. Thanks for the input, Dan!
Old 12-24-2013, 07:40 AM
KEN 31

A little right trust also helps taking off and some right rudder trimed in for the turns.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:53 PM
BarryReade

Originally Posted by RobertV
I just weighed my stock-built Outrageous and it comes out to 3 lb. - 8.4 oz with a TP2700 65C battery and 3 lb. - 9.2 oz with a Nano-Tech 2700 65C battery. So as I expected, it's just above the NMPRA minimum.

Also, Dan Kane emailed me a suggestion to put right thrust in this and most other EF-1's, which is something they have found that helps them "fly through the turns better". I haven't drilled for the cowl attach screws yet so this should be accommodated quite easily at this point. Thanks for the input, Dan!
Thanks for the weight Robert. I heard 2* right thrust is the number to achieve.

I looked at my Outrageous and it has some right thrust in it. I have some duct work to work on before I can cover the motor in and will try and get an idea of how much is in mine.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why doesn't a company make a ARF to compete with the great planes viper, thats what I would like to see.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM
308jockey

I spent pretty much all of 2013 sidelined and am ready to get back to competitive flying.Got my Club 40 and 424 planes ready and am very interested in this category as well. Where would I find one of these kits and what motor/esc/battery can I run in it competitively without spending a king's ransom? Where in the Southeast will the be some events racing this class? I know, always with the questions :-)

Rick H.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 AM
BarryReade

Hi Rick, I am going to give you some links to rules, approved components, and upcoming races in the Southeast.

NMPRA EF1 Rules

EF1 Approved Components

These are the known races in the Southeast this year;

Southern 500 at Mulberry, Fl. Mar 22-23. Two one day races. Sat, EF1, 424, 426. Sun. 424, 422
Old Julian Airport, Julian, NC May 3-4. Two day race. 424, 422 for sure. Has not been formally announced.
Hodges Hobbies, Andersonville, GA. Jun 28, One day race. EF1, 424 Not formally announced but I am directly involved in it. This is a new race.
Markham Park, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Sep. 6-7. Two one day races. Sat, 424, 426. Sun. 424, 422
Tangerine at Apopka, FL usually the first weekend in Dec. Usually two one day races. Sat, 424, 426. Sun. 424, 422

The Alabama Club 40 Group is having their annual scheduling meeting about now and they will be publishing their two pole racing schedule. I have heard they may add EF1 to some of their races. I know the Harvest, AL club is looking hard to do that.

Feel free to PM me anytime for information
Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 AM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by twostroke
Why doesn't a company make a ARF to compete with the great planes viper, thats what I would like to see.
The possibility is being looked into for The World Models to produce a nice Quickie with a 66-012 wing. Hopefully with internal linkages on the tail. May cost a bit more than Viper, but quality and performance are going to be priorities. Things like fiberglass wingtips to keep the weight down.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:34 PM
DonStegall

Congratulations to Dan Kane for coming in 3rd place in EF1 at the Phoenix Winterfest race with a "bone stock!" Scarlet Screamer. Of course Dan is a great pilot and knows a thing or two about how to put a plane together. But a 3rd with the competition he had is a very good sign for The World Models EF1 planes.

For anyone that gets one and feels the fuselage pushrods are too tight, I recommend cleaning the pushrods with 91% alcohol or acetone, and then sand the coating off with 320 wet-or-dry paper. Then lube them with silicone spray.