Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

prop suggestion for 46FX on Viper 500

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

prop suggestion for 46FX on Viper 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop suggestion for 46FX on Viper 500

Im not going to do any pylon racing with this plane. I just wanted to make it the fastest that I could. I have not flown it yet. I put a 10X8 APC prop on it and it doesn't look like I can get it off of the ground without hitting the prop (prop too long). I have a OS 46FX with a tuned pipe on it and would like to know if any of you have played around with this engine/plane combo and found a good prop to get max speed out of it. Thanks in advance, and hope I haven't upset any purist in the racing forum.

Mike
Old 01-26-2005, 06:30 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: prop suggestion for 46FX on Viper 500

Well, we generally start the engine then lift the tail slowly until we grind off enough of the prop to get the rpm we want.......... or you can start with a 9-7 or 9-8.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:29 AM
splatt

Up here in Minnesota you would be right at home with your 46fx. I witness 20-25 of these things all summer long.

The APC 8.8x8.75 is what your looking for. If the LHS doesn't have them. A sport APC 9x8 will go nice.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:18 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

HighPlains

That was jokingly what I said to a buddy of mine down here. Thanks guys, I'll go get me a 9X8 APC and bring it with me just in case the 10 doesn't work.

Mike

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Well, we generally start the engine then lift the tail slowly until we grind off enough of the prop to get the rpm we want.......... or you can start with a 9-7 or 9-8.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Electriceddie

Dude that's a stupid thing to do, picking up the tail to grind the prop down. First off it is super unsafe and very dangerous thing to do. The prop could shatter and hurt you or someone else. If an injury happened it is safe to say that the AMA would not cover you for damages. Not to mention that the prop will not be balanced and at that point it will shave off RPM and end up damaging the motor. If nothing has happened, it will. It is just a matter of time.

Be safe.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:03 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Uh... He was kidding.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:20 AM
HaveBlue

in relation to the piped .46, dont you have to tune your pipe in with the intended prop that you want to run, as far as I know , though I could be wrong, is , that you tune the pipe with a specific prop , if you change props , your changing the sweet spot that you want to hit in the first place, other wise go with a tuned muffler so you have a wider range of rpm that will get you the most out of your .46
Old 03-25-2005, 10:49 AM
John Z Williams Jr

Well, you sure did that now didn't you.... Opened your mouth and all.... Now we have no doubt....
A since of humor is a good thing to have..... try one on........
JZW
Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 AM
John Z Williams Jr

You are correct... A full tuned pipe requires tuning to get the most out of it... If you are in the range, it will still run ok, but if you want the most out of the engine with a specific prop... Yes tune that motor with that pipe for that prop and find the sweet spot... She will then run like a raped ape... Rule of thumb larger props or higher pitch require longer header and then of course shorter diameter and or pitch requires shorter header... Play around until that swee spot is found... You will know it when it happens, but a tach never hurts........
JZW