Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

which props

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
pampa79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which props

hi,
i'm writing from italy and so sorry for my english!!
i've baught a nelson fai f3d used and i'm new with this type of engines
i would like to use this engine only with my friends and not for legal race..
my questions are:
which props are normaly used with this engine(dimensions, materials..)?how many rpm's
is possible to install an rc carburator in this engine? i've wrote that is possible to install a supertigre 4500 or OS 7D...is true?
i know that is unusual but i'm not very experienced with pylon racing and so i'd like to know also slower...
thank you.....bye bye
Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: which props

Thgis engine is an all out racing engine designed to be used with a full wave tuned pipe, not a tuned muffler.

A carburettor will not work on this engine.

A suggested prop size to start with is 7.25"dia x 7.5" pitch. This prop size may be a bit light for the later versions of the engine. Absolutely nothing less than a carbon fibre molded prop. RPM should be about 25K to 28K. However there are about three versions of the Nelson F3D engine. Performance and prop size is dictated by which engine you have.

The first version was Rear intake/rear exhaust. There have been two versions of the front intake rear exhaust engine.

Ed S
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
pampa79

thank you ed for your fast reply...
i dont know which type of version is because i've not received yet but i know that it was baught to years ago and it has only 15 minute of break in ...
do you know a web site where can i buy props ? thank you again bye
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Ed Smith

I have just re-read my post. When I said a carbon fibre molded prop I did not mean an injection molded prop. I meant a continuous strand/epoxy composite prop. These are usually hand made. Try some of the European Pylon Racing sites for sources.

Ed S
Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 PM
pampa79

hi, finally i've received the nelson fai f3d... the version is the first, rear intake, rear exaust... it's pratically new....which performances can i expect from this engine? i've seen apc q40 props in pspec web site...what sizes can i use?thank you bye bye
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I would not use the APC CF props with that motor, you need a continuous strand CF prop, not the injected molded ones like Ed mentioned above.

I know Bruce DeChastel sells a FAI F3D prop, you can see it here. I don't know how well it will work with the Nelson vs. MB PRofi.

http://www.bigbruceracing.com/prod04.htm