Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

polecat help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polecat help

I recently got this kit from a club member. He got it from a friend who was clearing out his hobby room. I can't find any info about this plane. Is anyone familiar with this kit ? I need some building instructions or at least a little guidance. This is all it came with, and there are no tail plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24733.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	701527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37216.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	701528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75511.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	701529  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: polecat help

Measure the length of the wing (actual wing) , then measure the length of the wing (on the plans), then measure the length of the tail on the plans.

Take the Actual Length of the wing and multiply by the measured tail length (on the plans) and divide by the Length of the wing on the plans. This will give you the length of what the tail should be.

Is there an elevator Joiner included with the kit?

What specifically do you have questions about? There are enough people here that can talk you through each step, looks like most of the hard work is done. It is a nice looking plane.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
daven

Even looks like the firewall may be glued in??
Old 06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
acam37

Thanks DAVEN. There are no tail plans to measure. Yes, it does have an elevator joiner, which hooks up inside the fuse. I did find the rudder (which is fiberglass also). The firewall is already glued in and the wing is already sheeted (foam core). It appears the formers are all here. I plan on putting a West .50 with a tuned pipe on this plane, but not sure which way to mount it. The pipe may give me problems. I am not new to kit building, however this is my first fiberglass fuselage.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
daven

In your second picture above (the middle one) there is a top view of the plane. Measure the tail on there.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, this is interesting. I think that it may have been designed by Bob Root, since the isometric drawing is nearly identical to the Stinger that Root designed before handing it off to Don Rice. The basic glass work and shape matches up with the Stinger as well, like one was made from the other's plug to make the mold. "SRS" might refer to Bob Smith, his brother and Root, but that's a guess without researching the history. Email Bob at his glue factory and he could surely tell you for certain.

You have an interesting piece of history, and more than likely the molds are long lost. You should have someone splash the glass before building.

The tail would have had around 75 squares with a 15-16" span, of 1/4 balsa sheet.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:03 PM
acam37

You have an interesting piece of history, and more than likely the molds are long lost. You should have someone splash the glass before building.
HighPlains, what does this mean? BTW I will find out the name of the man who initially had this kit. I know he is from the Houston area.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull a mold of the fuselage before building.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
s-10promod

Good looking polecat, I'm taking a break from glassing the wing on a LR1-A as I'm posting this. What do you plan to use for power? I've got a rire K&B and going to add a tuned pipe just to scare the locals at the field! I've got a second LR1-A fuse and cores if you decide you don't want to finish the cat. I'd be interested in buying old F-1 kits or projects anyone else has they want to sell!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 PM
acam37

I plan on using a weston .50v1 with a tuned pipe if it will fit. [link]http://www.westonuk.co.uk/index_021.htm[/link]

I don't intend to race, just burn holes in the sky.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
acam37

What I would really like to see is a good tutorial on finishing a fiberglass fuselage and glassing the wing.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: acam37

BTW I will find out the name of the man who initially had this kit. I know he is from the Houston area.
It's probably Dave Layman, possibly J.P. Hanway, possibly one of the Cranfill clan. FWIW.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
daven

there are quite a few tutorials / posts out there on fiberglassing a wing. This one has some good tips:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5869620/tm.htm

A good resin to start with, is Z-Poxy finishing resin. Especially if your not sure if Fiberglassing is something you may want to do. Its sold in 4 oz bottles for 10-$15. Take a look at your local hobby store.

As to finishing the fiberglass fuze, there is a great tutorial at www.darrolcady.com . One thing about fiberglass fuses is that you want to make sure that the fiberglass is completely cleaned with warm soapy water to remove all mold release and wax before you start working on it.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
acam37

the name of the man who initially had this kit
Kieth Frederickson
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 PM
racer639

I realize this is an old post but I just joined, The kit for the polecat was sold by
bob violet in the mid to late seventies. I am curently building one that I have had since around 1977, I also have another unbuilt kit.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM
rdcrisp

looking for JP Hanway.... Does anyone know how to reach him? we are long time friends from the early 70s but I lost track of him.

Thanks in advance!
Richard Crisp

rdcrisp AT earthlink DOT net
Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S-10, if you really wanna scare the locals, bolt in a fire-breathing F1 .40, complete with mini-pipe, and run 60-65% nitro! Just remember to wear hearing protection when you start it...

Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 AM
kenworthbob

Hi Richard. I also know Mr hanway. He helped me build a plane back in the 70s. He belonged to the same r.c. club as I, and lived in the same town. I was traveling through on vacation and was going to try and connect up with him but it didn't work out. He is still listed in the phone book in Colony Texas. Also a listing in Frisco, and Little elm Texas. Maybe owns more than one house or? I never got a chance to call. Good luck,I know this post is old, let me know if you find him, I still would like to connect with him. He's a good guy. I had a lot of fun with him. Later. Bob.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a very old post, so all the origional suspects may have moved on to other crimes. The airplane shown is clearly NOT a Bob Violet Polecat. There are several clues, but two will be sufficient. On Violet's Polecat the virtical fin was not molded in as part of the fuselage. Also the cockpit area was done differently. There was no molded in floor on the Violet airplane, and the canopy was mounted from the underside. I suspect the airplane shown here is a Dave Layman Polecat. If the origional "poster" still needs information on the size of the stabilizer, myself and others could provide it for the Violet Polecat. Good luck, Greg