Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Vintage/Classic pylon racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Peter Harvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage/Classic pylon racing

Vintage/Classic pylon racing.
I’ve been contacted several times recently by ex racers plus others interest in building to fly as sports models older F1, FAI and sport40 race models. Having talked to a few of them it seems as though there may be some interest in running some events for them. I did try and get them to take a look at the currant models and every time got the same answer, too fast, also I asked how about if we run a slower form of Q500 etc, but no interest, there seems to be sentimentality over the old airframes. With the fact that the biggest Control line class at our UK nationals is the vintage class with more entries than the next three classes put together. Does anyone have a register or records/plans of pre 1980 racer plans?

Has this been tried before?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vintage/Classic pylon racing

The Vintage RC Society catalogs pre-1970 designs by category, there's some older plyon designs listed. Link:[link]http://www.vintagercsociety.org/eligibleplanes.html[/link] Plans for some are available through our AMA.
The photo is from 2004, it's Bob Noll's original 1968 (I think) deBolt Continental 600 which back then won the Formula Two (you have to be pretty old to remember that class) National Championship. The model was fitted with modern RC gear & a current engine and flew just great.

My dad used to race other Hal deBolt designs, the deNight Special and Midget Mustang. The deBolt's designs were built up balsa fuselages as were some other designs from the 60's but later than that most were fiberglass fuselage/foam wings - not sure what you'll find in plans but without the molds I don't know that they would be of much use. I would like a Prather Minnow myself just for fun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42436.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	872593  
Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there's something about the classics/vintage planes. one of the busiest forums on this site is the classic pattern forum. most of us are daily posters there.

david
Old 03-08-2008, 06:48 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the stuff on the Continental 600 here. Actually, I got a few of the Continental designs here.

Also the DeBolt "Special" which obsoleted the earlier effort circa 1967. It is designed around the K&B standard side Ex. port .40 with front or rear carb.

Then, have the Hustler, a .19 glow engine design, circa 1962 which was famous in the early days too.

None of the 1960's era aircraft require retracts either.

Shoot me a PM if this gathers further interest.

Wm.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember Formula II very well. I have A Jack Stafford Formula II P-51 still in the box. These airplanes fly verywell and are fun to fly. I would like to see a vintage raceing class. I know there are people who held on to there old plans and molds for those old airplanes.