Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Tools for Builders

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tools for Builders

Sure Randy. And I got your email as well.

I will soon have a lot of materials on my [link=http://www.houseofpylon.com/Materials/Materials.aspx]Materials for Builders[/link] page. Epoxy fillers, fiberglass cloth, carbon fiber, even a limited selection of paints in 4 and 8 ounce sizes. Water reducible polyurethane that sprays easily with an airbrush. Non-toxic and compatible with most any primer.

I will sell cloth by the yard so people can get the smaller quantities they need. Carbon fiber tow by the foot. Carbon fiber laminate in sizes like 1" x 48". Basically the stuff I use and the stuff I know that people use.

Eventually I'll have online ordering.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 PM
redfox435cat

I have a couple I got from the local crafts store, Michels. Like 20 bucks and 4 bucks for a replacement blade, it makes it really easy to make long straight cuts for monotkote.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 AM
DonStegall

You can get the FISKARS at Wal-Mart and the OLFA at Michael's. And both places may have both. I can't remember.

Here are pictures of each.

The one I sell is a copy of the OLFA. I like it better because the grip lets you keep the blade closed and just grab it when you want to cut something.

Both have open locks on them.

My main cutting pads are covered up at the moment. I use two 36" x 24" FISKARS cutting pads taped together. When you are at Wal-Mart, check out the cutting pads in the crafts department. They used to have a rotary knife and cutting pad combo. Don't know if they still do or not.

I checked the one I sell and it is in fact capable of having the blade changed. It uses the same blade as the OLFA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52697.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1197898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38228.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1197899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61355.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1197900  
Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 AM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: DMyer

Do it on anything but the wifes Mahagony dinner table!!!

Been using one for years.... great stuff.
Is that the voice of experience?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

This is a tool for a tool. It was designed by Jim Katz. It is a holder for the Great Planes Slot Machine.

The whole purpose of the tool is to be able to slot balsa with centered and straight hinge slots. Anyone who has used the Slot machine by hand knows that while it is a good tool, it is tricky to use.

This holder is made of plywood. I'm thinking of getting them laser cut and selling them either as kits or pre-built. The cost should be quite reasonable.

I have CAD drawings and may just post the drawings for people that want to make their own. If you do, just let me know.
Knowing you have not been well hopefully you will make some progress on this in the near future.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM
DonStegall

Barry,

I have my Dad working on cutting the pieces. He may do the assembly as well. He is going to give me the prices this week. That kind of stuff is right up his alley. We don't have to mess with laser cutting.

Yesterday he and my brother were giving me a lot of advice on diabetes as I have a number of 1st cousins with it. I've never really paid attention to their issues as I've had my Crohn's Disease to deal with.

I am feeling better and I'm working hard on order fulfillment. I did sneak out this morning to fly the electric P-51 for a few minutes.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
BarryReade

Great, I want one.  I am still trying to get an entry form for the Lowes race and can't find the link that will get me there.  Suggestions?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
DonStegall

I don't do formal pre-registration for the Lowe's races. We have most everyone in the race program, so registration is quick. I use the NMPRA Race program and we use AMA race procedures and scoring.

Last year I had an incident where my color laser printer was low on toner and wouldn't print. That won't happen again. I had a ink jet with me and had to switch out, which wasted time. The color laser had an override setting I didn't know about and the cartridges finally really ran out last week.

I'm going to revise the flier and post a new thread on RCU about the races this week. I will probably ask for emails for "pre-registration".
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM
BarryReade

Great, I would like to do at least one race before I go back to CA.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:48 AM
RACE 66

Originally Posted by DonStegall View Post
This is a tool for a tool. It was designed by Jim Katz. It is a holder for the Great Planes Slot Machine.

The whole purpose of the tool is to be able to slot balsa with centered and straight hinge slots. Anyone who has used the Slot machine by hand knows that while it is a good tool, it is tricky to use.

This holder is made of plywood. I'm thinking of getting them laser cut and selling them either as kits or pre-built. The cost should be quite reasonable.

I have CAD drawings and may just post the drawings for people that want to make their own. If you do, just let me know.
Don: I like this slotting tool for my needs, is it still available as a cad drawing. I would like to construct one please.
Thanks
Mike