Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

HANGAR 9 BEAST

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANGAR 9 BEAST

Has anyone else finished their H-9 100cc Beast?

I can't believe how quiet this airplane has been on the forums. I can't find ONE listing with it on any of the different sites (RCG, RCU, F.G.)

I finished and maidened mine today. What a quality piece of work the Beast is.

I have owned several giant scale IMAC style of airplanes, from the early Goldberg Extra 300 to the Aeroworks 100cc Extra 260 to a 42% Yak 54, but the Beast is the highest quality airplane I've ever assembled.
The covering is virtually perfect and sag free. The paint matches the covering very well.
The cowling is pre-drilled for mount bolts and every part fit exactly and perfectly.
The longest part of the assembly was the tail, since it has the 8-flying wires that have to be made up.

I'd bet mine was done in under 18-hours.

In fact, this is the first airplane I've ever owned that I used EVERY nut, bolt, screw and piece of hardware that came in the box to assemble it. I didn't substitute ONE thing!
When the airplane was finished, both boxes were completely empty.... WOW!

The only thing that wierded me out was the way they say to balance the airplane: the instructions say to balance it under the bottom of the bottom wing (with the airplane up-right) about 63mm from the leading edge.
I called H9 and Horizon for clarification because I've NEVER heard of doing it this way. All the feedback I could get said to "just do it that way", so I did.
I set the tailwheel on a foam stand in order to get the plane level. Next two of us put a finger under a rib on the bottom wings at the 63mm mark. When we lifted it up, it went very gently to the nose, so I went with that as a starting point. Turns out, it is a good place to start as the Beast was a perfect flyer from the word go! We had a few VERY helpful pairs of eyes at the field to assist me in getting the little issues of my set-up all ironed out, then away I went.

The take off was straight and true - as soon as I got to about 1/4 throttle the tail was coming up and by the time I got to 1/2 I just eased back on the elevator stick and away she flew.
I could tell right away the it is a GREAT airplane - just a do-what-you-tell-it-to-do baby!
The first flight I was totally comfortable with loops, rolls and spins. Knife edge is a breeze (I didn't even put in the mixes that the manual calls for yet) and this baby will do a knife edge loop without even breathing hard!

I put the new DA120 with a Mezlik 28/12 prop on mine and it is very suitably powered.

If you've dealt with one, please post your thoughts here. I would like to hear from other owners/prospective owners.

We did a video (I'm no QuiQue - that's for sure!), so I will see if it will upload tonight...

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HANGAR 9 BEAST

There are quite a few threads, some of them long and detailed, about the H9 Beast over on other forums that cater more to the giant scale crowd.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM
K-Bob

Double Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
F82FAN

Links, initials or clues? Ive tried searches to no avail. Any help would be great
Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 AM
busted blade

Cant post links to it from the other site??? How lame is that... Sent you a PM about it.

PS.. I have one too and it ranks right up there with the best of them.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM
rcflyer48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey great to hear about your Beast. Would you say it is more of a 3D plane or better for IMAC? I am looking for a really good 35% IMAC plane to replace a RIP AW Extra 300. Have met QuiQue many times and seen him fly many times. Great guy. I would love your opinion on the 3D vs IMAC aspect of this plane. I have a DA 120 ready for a plane and want to put it in a good airframe. One question if you would not mind I have a limited height clearance in my trailer so could you tell me how tall off the ground the top of the tail and the canopy are when in transport mode? The EF 110" YAK will not fit in my trailer so... That would be a great help. Also precision flying comments on the plane would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

I believe I saw a height of 29" on another site.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 AM
gibatta

Gentleman:
Please, Could anybody tell me diameter of cowling?? I flight 14000 feet above sea level and need to fit a 150 DA engine on it, please advice.

Gary
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

Cowl is about 14 inches in dia. Many people are using the DA120, more power than their 100 and fits in perfect.

Rick
Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
gibatta

Thank you Rick, it will fit then as per DA 150 dimentions 13.4" (340mm) wide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq48409.pdf (47.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
gromuluss

I have one on order. It should be in my hanger in 3 weeks. I am retiring my yack and useing all the gear for the beast.. My power system is the hacker a-150 electric. I might be the first to convert this plane to electric. Who knows? But Ill post a you tube clip as soon as I can show you how well it preform with that power.
Im looking forward to this plane.
Ken
PS: anyone wants to buy the retired plane only ( areoworks 35% yack ) Its up for grabs 400 bucks OBO it has some battle scars but flys perfect.a new canopy and a new cowel would make it near mint condition
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Hurstie

Hi can anyone tell me how high the Hanger 9 Beast sits on the ground as I like to know if it will fit into my trailer without too much trouble as I am thinking of buying one
Cheers Joanne
Old 12-25-2014, 08:18 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a spare set of Wing Bags they want to part with $$$$ ?????
Old 12-26-2014, 02:31 AM
kiwibob72

Look up SDShobby.com - they sell some really nice wing bags for not much, I have a set for my Sbach, and was really impressed with the quality/cost ratio!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:12 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by kiwibob72
Look up SDShobby.com - they sell some really nice wing bags for not much, I have a set for my Sbach, and was really impressed with the quality/cost ratio!
ok will do ....thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:06 AM
CaptRKO

Anyone currently building one? I will have mine here on Tuesday and starting to gather the parts/acc i will need. Can't beat the deal Horizon was running---also picked up a DLE-120 for 650 bucks via Tower Hobbies internet sale.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM
CaptRKO

HELP!

Missing several parts in my kit. Horizon people are great, but after two phone calls I now notice I do not have any of the "Titanium Rods" for the Ailerons (4) and Elevator (2) would anyone know off hand what size they are? I have a LHS down the street that I will just buy them myself.

ALSO---ANYONE HAVE BEAST WING BAGS THEY WANT TO PART WITH????
Old 02-22-2015, 01:12 PM
CaptRKO

Beast parts wanted! Need to build an inventory!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:32 PM
F82FAN

I believe that Horizon still has some parts. A friend just got new tail feathers for his after flipping it
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM
CaptRKO

I know Horizon still has stuff......I ordered an extra tail wire set and a pull/pull. Plane is holding up pretty well so might not be needed, I just throw it out there in case someone is parting one out.