Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Please Explain The Reasoning Behind The AW 42% Ultimate

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Please Explain The Reasoning Behind The AW 42% Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 04:25 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Explain The Reasoning Behind The AW 42% Ultimate

Let's see. Its smaller than H9's offering, weighs about the same amount, takes the same range of engines and the same qty. (and quality) of radio gear --

-- and costs $700 more.

I must be missing something.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:28 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Why just be like Mike when we can all be like Chip
Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Maybe because Aeroworks feels there quality is better (probably is) or something...

Who knows lol
Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Plus the aeroworks will have longer setup time with all the wires to rig up. I think the H9 looks better personally. That is the one Id buy!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could ask yourself, if the H9 Ultimate is as good or better than the Aeroworks, why wasn't it flown at the TOC?

I have no intention to buy either but there is often more to it than size or weight.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:26 AM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

I will say what is the reason behind any of the planes. I do believe that Chip had been flying the Ultimate quite a few times more than just 2000 and 2002. If I am not mistaken Aeroworks had gotten on the bipe bandwagon before Hanger Nine in setting up the deal to do Chips Biplane. Hanger nine found out and here comes another one Hanger nine has it, Greatplanes is supposed to be working on a 80 or 82 inch ultimate BME is having a ultimate made as an ARF for the 100cc class motors, which leads to why the Hanger nine ultimate not why the aeroworks ultimate. The big factor about ultimates is Chip won the TOC with an Ultimate so now everybody wants an Ultimate, it has to be the best plane, that is what he won with so it must be. I would rather have an Extra 260 or a YAK 54 personally. this is my opinion but again the big thing with the ultimate is chip won the TOC with it.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:25 AM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

the H9 version was at TOC. i saw it, but not close up. i dont know if Mike McConville (sp) flew practice or any sequences with it.

chip has campaigned the Ultimate for a few years. off and on that i remember...

me personally, if more companies get on the Ultimate bandwagon, the better! it is sorely lacking in availability for bigger planes or just more than the couple we see readily available now. ive owned 2 CG ultis, and i just think it is better for all around flying. flys solid for a bipe, handles great. with all the horror stories of pitts in these sizes, i think the ulty is better IMOHO. even flew one with extended wings and a gasser. heavy, but flew awesome still.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:02 PM
visioneer_one

I like Ultimates, too. I just wish someone would offer one sized for the popular 40-50cc gassers.

I won't be getting either one. I don't have enough room to (safely) transport a fuse over 75" long!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:38 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Another "sore subject" for me. I would never sink that kind of money into an ARF--(just my opinion of course) when I knew H9 would not be offering replacement parts-- It is a limited series. I have owned AWs ARFs and H9 ARFs and I would say that AWs may have a bit of an edge in quality. It is all about "what is hot & what is not" -- Right now the Ultimate is hot. Funny thing is....... I owned my first CG about 8 years ago, had 2 more since then, not to mention 1 Dave Patrick. Hard to believe that it takes Chip to convince people that this is one great flying bird-- BIG OR SMALL.

PS-- Dave Patrick told me at Joe Nall that he has one coming out designed around the 100cc gassers
Old 08-04-2003, 09:54 PM
p47dman
My Feedback: (22)

Default H9 Ultimate

Just finished one, took only a week to assemble. Have 5 flights on her as of now and she flew great. Quality of kit is good, great covering job on her. Beautiful landing gear. Some mistakes in the directions though. The engine needs to be mounted at 3 3/16 from the left hand side of firewall, not 3 13/16 as stated. Also the wheel pants mounting hole needs to be 5/8 of an inch up from the bottom, not 1 3/4 inch as stated. Also missing engine box cover but other than that was a great kit.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Mike took third place with the Hanger 9 Ultimate at the XFC this year. I saw it fly personally and can say it presented it self well. It was hard to believe that an ARF could compete at that level. Go Hanger Nine!
Old 09-05-2003, 05:02 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

One thing I'd like to clarify here (the rest I'll leave alone). I'm not sure how someone got the impression that replacement parts wouldn't be available, but that is certainly untrue. As with all Hangar 9 models including the limited production models, we carry all parts. Also, the Ultimate isnt a Limited Production model. We will continue to have then produced as long as you want them. However there may be a wait at times.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Hoss

Mike,

Any plans on Hangar9 making a 50CC Ultimate. I think the 46% is a sweet looking plane. Just to big for me to get around.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 06:15 PM
MMcConville

There are a lot of options for the next planes. I cant comment on the specific plans, but there will be lots of new models.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Hoss

That is what I like to hear. If they are as good as the others sign me up now.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:00 AM
3wExtra

Default Mike McConville

Mike, I would like to say that I admire you as a pilot; but please Horizon does not have replacement parts for its cap, su and extra.
I waited for well over a year on a hatch, canopy, landing gear and other spare parts. not that I have crashed the plane but because I wanted to stock them so when I had a problem I did no have to wait. good thing I have not needed them so far; otherwise I will have a perfectly useless airplane.

Spare parts for H9 arf's ARE a problem , they have and as far I am concerned they will keep being a problem.
When you dish out this kind of money for anything else; like cars, tires, computers, stereos, cameras, or anything else; you EXPECT and DESERVE support from its manufacturer.

Can you imagine if the manufacturer told you sorry we are out of stock, week after week after week, after month, after years on a part for your car....?

Horizon, and many more companies in this business, are fortunate that they do not get sued and are still in business.

Now on the bright side, horizon is one of the better ones, when it comes to customer support.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Fred

Default Parts

FC26
I have to stand behind H9,,Why ??
I bought the Sukhoi,,when I got it the canopy was chipped,,They sent me another,,it too was cracked,,sent me another,,same deal as before chipped,,they wound up sending me 9 of them before I got one that wasnt damaged,,and didnt charge me for any of them ! and I still have them,,guess I could make flower pots out them ,,LOL,,Then I had a wing tube come loose and the sheeting on one side cracked,I fixed it but ordered a new wingpanel,,they were out of stock,,But in a few days I received a big box it had
TWO wing panles and the stabs,,They only charged me for ((ONE)) wing half !!!!!!!
They went out of their way to help me out,,That is why I'll stand behind H9 ,, and looking at getting their Ultimate this winter..Just for that reason,,
Old 09-06-2003, 11:29 AM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Default Parts...........!

FC26,

Looks like we found out who has all the spare parts............!

Just curious..........How in the world could someone send out 9 (NINE) damaged canopies....? Looks like there may be some sort of quality control issues..........send all that spare stuff back so they can beef up their inventory of spares, and someone else can get some parts......! I'm sure that H9 will pay the shipping.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:21 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a person that has built the aeroworks and he basically had to rebuild the plane. The stab tip to wing tips were off 3/4" and the stab tube was not parallel with the wing tube. That is alot of work to correct in a plane that cost $700 more.

But as far as the price goes, I would be shocked if one cost more to produce then the other lets say within $100. A distributer/manufactor is working on a smaller margin and higher volume.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Fred

Default Parts

The Broken canopys were all packed in a box that was to small,,I kept telling them it was to small and they kept sending it the same way ? This is the first time I have ever had so many spare part's to any palne in my 20 years of flying R/C airplanes..Without even crashing !! LOL :surprised
all together I have
10 canopys
3 hatchs
1 new cowling
1 extra pair of wings with ailerons
1 exta set of stabs with elevators
Old 09-06-2003, 08:22 PM
visioneer_one

Default Re: Parts

Originally posted by Fred
The Broken canopys were all packed in a box that was to small,,I kept telling them it was to small and they kept sending it the same way ? This is the first time I have ever had so many spare part's to any palne in my 20 years of flying R/C airplanes..Without even crashing !! LOL :surprised
all together I have
10 canopys
3 hatchs
1 new cowling
1 extra pair of wings with ailerons
1 exta set of stabs with elevators
Heh. Buy a fuse & rudder, then sell it all off as a 'short kit'

Old 09-06-2003, 09:15 PM
3wExtra

Default Fred

so they must like you better.... what can I say? can you please get me a hatch, or a landing gear, a or right and left wing, or r/l stabs...
I you have such luck please let me know! I would love to get them.
one more thing if they have all these in stock why make a good customer wait for well over a year?
i have purchase from them countless (well over 100) servos (8411), 2 jr 10x, one 8103, well over 10 pcm recievers, 2 cap 232 1/4 (2 180 saitos), 3 cap 232 1/3 scale (sorry no zenoah for me), 2 su 1/3 scale, one saito 182, 1 taylorcraft, I am on the waiting list for a ultimate...
I know that there are other things I am forgetting, but this is a good chunk of $$$. I know that there are other people out there that have spent way more than me with them. But this it is not that about how much you spend with them, because I believe that it does not matter to them; but the reality is that they do not HAVE the SPARE parts, just ask ANGEL @ HH. I will keep getting their planes and everything else, but please give me a break, they SHOULD, and they HAVE that responsibility to their customers. Just like any other bossiness
Old 09-07-2003, 12:14 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone has a canopy out there, I could use one, what kind of chips?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:05 PM
gpw4653
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: Please Explain The Reasoning Behind The AW 42% Ultimate

I would like the cowl please, as long as your giving stuff up, Gerald
Old 12-11-2005, 02:03 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please Explain The Reasoning Behind The AW 42% Ultimate

Wild Hare has a 50cc Ultimate.

ORIGINAL: visioneer_one

I like Ultimates, too. I just wish someone would offer one sized for the popular 40-50cc gassers.

I won't be getting either one. I don't have enough room to (safely) transport a fuse over 75" long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.