Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM
fredo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Thanks Richard
Now I understand what you guys have been talking about in previous posts. Yeah, the engine is brand new, which probably doesn't help much but hopefully screening the hole in carby would be a good start. Apparently, guys that fly Yaks had to do it as well. I decided I'm going move CG back a bit. I forgot to say, my first impression yesterday during flight was ..it's nose heavy. Maybe that's why so many clicks of up elevator, again, speed related. Don't know, just guessing. I'm very aware that, as you say, CG envelope on this plane is razor thin so I only want to move it a little tad. I never tried knife edge,rolls or loops strangely enough, I ran out of time. I only flew half time trimming and half time landing. Never felt bussier. IMAC routines are breeze compare to this.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's going to be tough to dial in your DA on the pipes while brand new, but there is no doubt the needles can be leaned in a bit.
It is NEVER good to run a gasser very rich, even though most come adjusted quite rich from the factory. Obviously you want to avoid getting too lean, but a clean burn with the break-in mixture, is what you want. And this should allow the engine to come on the pipes as long as pipe length is not grossly out of whack.

I have had no carburetion issues with my DA at any flight speed, BUT I also have the front cowl area totally blocked off except for engine cooling air. The carburetor is not being subjected to blasts of air at differing speeds.

Let us know how she flies with a further aft CG and also, what your new measurement is from wing LE.

I know that initially you may wonder if the Gee Bee is worth all the trouble, but believe me, once you can fly it confidently, it will provide a thrill that nothing else can, and will be very well received by on-lookers

[b][i][color=#CC0000]Gee Bee's RULE!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41832.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1315337  
Old 11-17-2009, 04:46 AM
fredo

I love that pic. Gee Bee has an incredible appeal to me and timeless look. I noticed that too you have your carby shielded from direct airflow. Something I have to deal with right now. Also I read in some of the earlier posts that mr "dirtydingus" had to work left rudder to keep the plane straight. Hmm.. It almost sounds like the throttle vs rudder mix should be something like, at idle rudder neutral, at mid to 3/4 range rudder slightly left and full throttle the rudder should swing slightly to the right to line up with offset. Is your Gee Bee taking right turn of its own, when left track by itself?
Unfortunately I have to take up bussines trip, which delays my next Gee Bee attempt but next week, sometimes in midweek I'm planning to take it up again to do some more exciting exploration.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 AM
RichardGee

Fredo,

I was just reading the builder's manual again... and realized the correct CG is 75mm to 80mm behind the wing leading edge.
So, if yours is balanced at 70mm, there is no doubt you are nose heavy.

I believe I actually decided upon 77mm on my Gee Bee.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 AM
fredo

Flight report No 2!!
Well, that didn't go well. After stuffing around with engine on the ground finally decided to go for it. Must admit the weather wasn't great. Very windy and gusty, probably not the best day to do a second test flight. Anyway, take off was nice and crisp, the engine was reving really well. This time definitely on pipes. The speed was just awesome. Loved every minute of it. Then that landing[&:] Approach wasn't too bad but somehow against strong wind it kept floating so the touch down was nearly at the end of the runway. Silly me, should've go around. Decided to let it go and after a short bounce managed to clip left wing and then she cartwheeled. Didn't like the sight of that. The result - bent UC (repairable) 2 broken wires (repairable) and some scratches. Not really a big deal I can fix it. I'm just angry with myself not following what I said to myself. Don't land it if the approach is not 100% [:@] How many times I read it in this thread. Apart from that the flight was awesome. I think I'll try different prop 28/14.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
RichardGee

Fredo,

You still have a Gee Bee, and that is a good thing.
Your biggest critic will generally be you... and you can always count on the arm-chair pilots to second-guess your decisions and critique every landing.... all I can say to them is, "get yourself a Gee Bee and then give us a little seminar on successfully landing one..."

A 28x14 prop should give you maximum airspeed, although I have to wonder if your plane will sit still even at idle??

It must sound great with the pipes... would love to see a video.

I have been TOO LONG in getting mine back in the air. I'M JEALOUS
Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 AM
fredo

Fortunately this time there was only a couple more people apart from me, so not many armchair pilots. It really sounds awesome but somewhat with Xoar 30x12 it screams very loud and I can't continue to fly in our club with those decibels ,that's why I'm thinking different prop. Preferably wooden one for obvious reasons. ($) I heard that wire whistle only on downwind. It's wicket.
After this repair I'm thinking seriously start practising landing approaches and get used to landing speeds. I think I have to practise that to achieve consistent approach.
Hopefuly next time there will be video.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:33 AM
dirtydingus

Fredo,

For all around performance I think the Xoar 28x14 is the best. Nice and quiet with great speed.

What brand of pipes did you use for your DA? I am puting the DA 150 from my Gee Bee in an AMR 33% Waco that I am building and puting a new DA 170 in the Gee Bee and would like to use pipes to squeeze out those extra rpm's.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM
fredo

Wow, 170 on pipes. I'm using MTW R3's. It's too early to tell if I like it 'cos the engine is still very new and so far I seemed to struggle to get smooth throttle transition. Don't get me wrong, the power is awesome but it idles very lean and I have to let it run for a while before I can advance throttle. It's kind of tricky to set it up. I never had pipes before, only canisters. I have to be careful not to tinkle with it too much.
For Gee Bee, I just want good power, which I'm now getting and good reliable idle. That I'm still trying to work out.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:19 AM
fredo

Hi Gee Bee enthusiasts, it's only me again
I thought I post some pics from my maiden flight. Take off, fly pass and landing (just before touch down)

Name:	Tr51417.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1320926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41502.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1320927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75806.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1320928  
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 AM
RichardGee

VERY NICE
Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
RichardGee

Hey Gee Bee gents,

Just checking in to say that while my Gee Bee has been dormant, the enthusiasm for this aircraft remains high.
I am actually selling my first CompARF Gee Bee R2 w/o engine right now. This was NOT the plan, but I had an opportunity to acquire a Moki 250 radial and this required that I off-load an item or two to justify the purchase.

Fear not, I have a second CompARF Gee Bee R2 hanging in the shop, about 75% completed to date and a very nice 3W157CS ready to bolt on.

RADIAL: I have strongly considered the possibility of joining the Moki with the Gee Bee, and while it looks like a match made in heaven, I honestly believe it could transorm a very challenging aircraft into a nightmare. No doubt some will disagree with that statement, but the last thing this aircraft needs is 3 more pounds of engine and literally TWICE the torque of a good 150 twin. I am sure the combo is do-able and no doubt would be the most awesome sight and sound on the flight line or in the air, but me thinks the pilot demands would suck the fun out of flying this bird. My hat's off to anyone who has the guts or wallet to keep it all in the air, repeatedly.

Weather in Northern CA has been horrible for weeks. Overcast, foggy, cold; not at all inviting to fly. Further, our field operations have been halted for awhile, and the Gee Bee needs all the runway it can get, so no hurries at present to get #2 in the air.

I hope others have not given up on this great airplane and that we hear more build and flight reports in the future!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
rcnut101

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard,

I have not given up on mine, Im actually trying to get some updated parts. Just purchased DA-150 about two weeks ago. Mine is about 4 to 5 years old, So Im hoping you can shed some light on me for proper build. Dont laugh, but Im just as crazy for the GeeBee as you.

Regaurds,

Doug D
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
keithpratt
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Richard,

I'm suprised to hear you say that about the Moki. That is what I'm building and I am probably not the pilot that you are. Didn't you fly some Gee Bee's with big radials. I also talked to people that said they needed almost 3 lbs in nose of plane with a DA to get it to balance.

Hope I'm not setting myself up for a big EVENT. Maybe I should sell the whole kittenkabuddle.
Keith
Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
RichardGee

Doug,
Between the new Builders Manual and this thread, there is ample information to answer virtually any questions that may come up during the build.
If not, feel free to ask away!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
RichardGee

Keith,
I am expressing an 'educated opinion' (and you know what they say about opinions...)

Yes, I did fly my quarter scale R2 on a Technopower 9 cyl. radial, but the difference in power and weight between it and the test engine - Quadra 42 - was very small.

And the overall weight of the aircraft with the radial was about 18 pounds - still quite light for a 25% R2.

The difference between a DA150 and Moki 250 is FAR more dramatic in all respects.
Now, if you were planning on a Moki 150, I would not have any reservations.

Since the CARF R2 will fly just fine with a good 100 twin, a Moki 150 should be sufficient as well.

DONT GIVE UP ON THE PROJECT! If you already have the big Moki, GREAT! Put it in a warbird or big bipe or something that has lots of wing area and more forgiving proportions. OR, go for it with the Moki! I did not say it was not a possibility, but success will require perfect set up and superb piloting skills.

With a DA150 or equivalent, this Gee Bee balances fine with NO additional nose weight, but most of your gear does need to be ahead of the CG.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
RichardGee

Gentlemen,
ANY GEE BEE NEWS OF LATE??[X(]

Some of you may have seen mine for sale on RCU w/o the DA150. I still have the plane... no serious takers thus far.... and now I am eyeing my spare DA100 and wondering...hmmm ... should I try it? [X(]

I still have Gee Bee #2, but have been mired in other projects and so have not finished it. Of course, I have the 3W157 for that bird and could quite readily install it in the first Gee Bee which is 100% flyable........ decisions, decisions.[]
Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
40GeeBee

Hi Richard,
Tried to find your GB on RCUniverse. and couldn't, is it stil on there?
Paul Steiner
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
RichardGee

Hey Paul,

The ad is inactive. I still have the plane, but have not sold it.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Concerning the Moki 250..

I would say do it.. I do not see a problem in the weight department since there are several people flying the Gee Bee on a 150 with pipes. A 150 with pipes will come out around 11 pounds and a Moki 250 is 11.9 pounds. None of the fellows with pipes have complained about the weight ...

Rick
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
RichardGee

Your points are all valid. Interestingly, I met with the owner of CompARF at California Jets and we talked about the Moki 250 in the Gee Bee.... His response was as follows:
"The only bad thing about a Moki in the Gee Bee, is that you would have to purchase another one!" He said that the two are "made for each other" and that once the Gee Bee were flown with the Moki, "it would never come off the front!"

So, it is worth a try, no doubt. The weight issue is not that substantial.
My biggest worry would be torque and expense!
Torque - a 32x18 prop is going to create one heck of alot of torque reaction.
Expense - Since landing the Gee Bee is always dicey, I would hate to see a bent crank from a prop strike... could be expensive to fix.

Otherwise, it appears the Moki/GBR2 would be one AWESOME combo!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
RichardGee

Gee Bee gents,
Time to get back in the swing of things! My Gee Bee has sat idle for too long. I sold its DA150 as part of a Moki 250 trade and then attempted to sell the airframe, to no avail (I have a second one, after all...)

But, with the weather getting great here in No. CA and a DA100 sitting here doing nothing, I decided it is time to put this bad boy back in the air, only this time with the 100.

Despite extending the engine out almost 2 inches and adding a heavy fiberglass dummy radial and CF prop, the CG is still 1 cm too far aft. Working through the CG issue will be no small task as it appears all 3 servos currently in the tail will have to be located far forward.

Will update when I have a good solution.[]

Name:	Ol31581.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1435706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85948.jpg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1435707  
Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 AM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys,

Any thoughts or experience with the Gee Bee on a DLE-111?

Tom
Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
RichardGee

I can merely tell you what the designer told me about 100cc power: He said it would be plenty. Larger engines like the 150 provide the much-needed nose weight, but are overkill in the power department. This is not to say a 150 is the wrong engine, but simply that 10+ HP is plenty; 16+ HP is more than plenty.
BALANCE is the major problem with smaller engines. 8 pounds of engine up front is a BIG help in balancing this plane. Less than that creates CG challenges!
I am sure a DA85 would fly this plane, but I doubt the proper CG could ever be achieved without adding nose weight.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

You might see if yo ucan get a machine shop to make you a "Prop nut" from Steel or better yet brass..

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.