Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the ARCs?????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What happened to all the ARCs?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:35 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to all the ARCs?????

Does anybody notice how things are heading to the complete ARF arena? I like ARFs to a point but when these new 30% planes come out why not make a ARC and ARF. How hard could it be to stop production prior to covering and paint.

For instance; I wanted-want-desire a H-9 Sukhoi, but I can't stand to bring a airplane to the field with a ARF color scheme. Although it is a nice looking airplane I would rather have my own finish at least.

Then I see the BME Ultimate and they say ARF. No not again!!!

Oh well just venting after I put the phone down for the 5th time trying to force myself to order one (sukhoi). I am still trying to convince myself to recover it partially and it will be O.K.

V-Snap
Old 08-07-2003, 06:41 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, that is not a bad idea (partial recover). I agree with you about this "all the same arf thing". But in many cases you can remove and redo some of the covering (often very little) that makes a huge change in appearance. As an example on another thread here someplace are some pictures of a DP Ultimate were he changed the stripes but left basic covering alone. It looks AWESOME, completely different from stock and much better than DP's scheme.

PS: Here's the plane I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99971_555.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	56877  
Old 08-07-2003, 08:33 PM
AJT

AS I see it the cost of ARC's are right up there with ARF's. Maybe the extra cost of covering turns modelers away. As for me , I can't cover worth a darn so I stay away from ARC's. No demand No supply is probably the MGF. outlook. Wish my skills were better. I've passed on a few ARC planes in the past that I really wanted too add to my hanger. Just my humble opinion.
AJT.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Deanoo

Default More ARC's

I'm always looking for ARC's. Primarily because most of the time I am not happy with the final construction of ARFs and I like to make minor modifications and secondly for the option of covering the plane any way I like!!!

ARCs give you all the benifits for kit aircraft, however most of the work is done for you. WE NEED MORE ARC's
Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 AM
ernie58
My Feedback: (15)

Default ARC

I hope more folks repond to this thread and the Mfgs are monitoring!!!!! ARC is the way I want to go and should be offered as a option. Though I very much like building, I'm at a point in my life where my time has become valuable to me. I'm also a little space limited for building, yet could easily handle covering. But I don't want to show up and be one of 5-6 other planes from the same "cookie cutter". HELP!!!!! I agree that pulling a few off the line just prior to covering is simply a matter of communication with the actual workers doing the building and shipping. Maybe the distributors here in the states don't want us to see what is behind the ultracote/monocote curtain!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:40 PM
v-snap

That is what I can't understand. The cost is going to be up there for an ARC no doubt. But I am sure that a small price break and a uncovered airplane will sell to some people. There is absolutely no production cost change what so ever. Same shipping box, Same advertising except to add ARC after ARF, and may be an extra sale here or there.
As for removing part of the covering that is a plan but I still get worried with the damage to the other covering, and if I screw the original covering up some than I am stuck pulling it all off which sucks in my opinion. That is concern number two, I hate taking new planes to the field with blemishes in the covering till after the first mishap.

V-Snap
Old 08-08-2003, 04:19 PM
v-snap

This is a pic of a Texan 101" I did about 10yrs ago. This is what I want to do to the sukhoi but not in the red....

V-Snap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100179_17652.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	56878  
Old 08-08-2003, 05:56 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

I got this straight from the "horses mouth" The going rate in China for labor is $1 a day for those who build, $2 a day for those who cover. (It is considered skilled labor) I will NOT buy large ARF's for many of the reasons already mentioned in this thread, but don't expect much of a price break on an ARC.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:38 PM
ernie58
My Feedback: (15)

Default Cheap labor!

OK.....$2 an hour X 16 hours (2 days) = $32 for covering and painting. Figure another $18 for covering and the paint materials at bulk rate prices......I'll take that $400 ARF has an ARC for $350.....and the profit margin remains the same for the dealers!!! I'll even take it for $375. Its about availability...