Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Life set up question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life set up question

Hello

I'v picked up a 35% sd extra and it has C cell NiMH I'm wanting to change out my flight packs to maybe life battarys question is I think i have to balance those battarys evey time i charge them . like a Lipo i am guessing

so I'll have to take them out of the plane right to charge them ? that might be a pain the but this is my frist big plane and I never realized how much work they are to tote around and put togeather take appart ...

and is life simlar to Lipo where storage for any given point of time can not be at max capatance for example i think your spouse to store Lipo at 3.4 volts or so a cell if your noting to to use them ina couple of days ? will i have to do the same thing for Life battarys

I'm think about the http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5YAS802&P=0 Times Two

please reply with some infomation , and if you have been there done that I'd love to hear how you did your power system

another thing the Life battarys are about the same coast as NiMH

Also I can just use my batom nock off changer to charge this thing right I don't think on the menu I'v seen Life as a sitting to chose from Would Lipo sitting work ?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Life set up question

Zack,

I've been using A123's for awhile now in my 50cc and 100cc birds.. You don't need to remove them from the plane to charge. I use Ernst mounts in the side of the Fuz and just plug them in anytime I feel they are ready for a recharge. Also you don't have to discharge them for storage... They will also hold thier charge almost indeffently..! A123's are a great drop in replacement for NiCads or Nimhs no regs needed. Just make sure you get, or have, an A123/LiFe capable charger..

Good Luck,

Ed
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 PM
skip1320

All you need to know http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html
Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I balance mine once every 10 or so flights. Even then they probably don't really need it as they are never more than one one-hundredth of a volt apart usually they're spot on. Best investment I've made in a long time but be aware they can provide enough amps (120 amps burst) to melt the standard servo connectors on the stock type switches. I bought a power board from servocity.com and soldered Deans connectors on it so I could take advantage of the high power output of the A123's.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 PM
zacharyR

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

I balance mine once every 10 or so flights. Even then they probably don't really need it as they are never more than one one-hundredth of a volt apart usually they're spot on. Best investment I've made in a long time but be aware they can provide enough amps (120 amps burst) to melt the standard servo connectors on the stock type switches. I bought a power board from servocity.com and soldered Deans connectors on it so I could take advantage of the high power output of the A123's.

thanks for the info

so how do you change them if they are not being balanced you just have a dean's extention and run it stright to the pack in the plane ?

the plane doesn't have standard flight pack switch its some woverian switch or something " looks fancy " but boy I don't want anything like that to happen in the air
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pn35986.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1580688  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Jezmo

Yes sir, straight in through the power connector. A123's are much more forgiving than LiPo's if a cell gets slightly over charged. Mine are way over a year old and still perform like new.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 AM
zacharyR

thanks for the info sounds great just gota wait for them to come from tower !!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 AM
hanko

Look into a cell pro charger from FMA. they balance automaticly when they need to be. A123 and LiFe although very different chemistry share the same charging principals. I would do as sated, and think about the A123 battery over the Fife.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put A123 LiFe's in my extra . I love em! I do balance charge always. If you are running a batt share you need to unplug one battery to escape the common ground problems. A good charger is really a really good idea.
These batteries have a very flat discharge voltage till they are done, then the voltage just drops. When you first get your batts cycle em 2-3 times to check capacity. After the first two flights, Charge the batts up record the Mah in. do this a few times to get a idea of how much your plane draws per flight. then you will know when to recharge.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
zacharyR

A123 i bleave is a Life battary A123 i think is a company not a cemcial make up of a battary right ?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the A123 is a life batt, they are built a little heavier and put out a bit more amperage.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I used www.wrongwayrc.com for both my 50cc planes. Give him a call, he will talk your ears off about A123 batteries and make up packs with whatever connectors you specify.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

A123 i bleave is a Life battary A123 i think is a company not a cemcial make up of a battary right ?
The chemistry is slightly different on an A123 as compared to a regular Life and results in some changes in the amperage that can be extracted and the charge rate that can be used. They call their addition to the Life chemistry "Nano-Phosphate" technology.