Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Returning Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 PM
roadkingbill
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning Flyer

Back after 5yrs down time due to major back surgery. Last gasser was a GP Patty w/BME 50. I have a practice plane to get back into is a QB 120 w/YS 140.Iwould like to put aDLE 30 gasser in it also later.

purchasing a JR 9503 DSMX. I am looking at an Areoworks quick build Extra 300at 699.99, pilot 30 % at 599.99 or Yak and a Extreme Flight 88' Yak or Extra 300 at 649.99.

Never flown a Yak as I have not flown the 120 QB but planes all fly alike for me cept very diffent designs. Been gone a while and things change, batteries.... am going A123 on those. Anyway which of these planes will be best for me ? I love all the designs listed. The QB Extra 300 in yellow is my fav but its also the most expensive. I will only be fling two planes rather than the 5 to 10 I used have in my hanger. I loved the speed planes back then. Was never much of a 3d guy, tried but sucked.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Returning Flyer

The 2 best flying 30% airframes in existance today are the Extreme Flight Extra 300 (Yak a close 2nd just pick which airframe you prefer) and the 3D Hobby Shop 89" Slick. All the others you've listed are also great flying planes, but I guarantee you're buying the best of the best with the 2 EF planes or the 3DHS bird.

That slick is so big, it's actually bigger than a few of the older 35% birds that you're probably used to seeing. I've seen comparison pics next to several 35% birds, and you would never know it's not a 30%er! The slick is the best flying 3D 30% as well, IMHO. Just be aware that it comes in 18lbs+ due to its massive size, so stick with a 55-60cc engine.

The EF planes are just as good, and excel in quality and flight characteristics. The following for EF vs 3DHS is nearly equal and both extremely popular.

The Aeroworks are nice and fly good, but always come out several pounds heavier than spec, and costs you $$$ if you opt for all the carbon upgrades that are already included in the EF/3DHS planes.

The Pilot is a great choice as well, just not quite as high-end as EF/3DHS. Most people that try to save a few $$ will go Pilot and they're superb planes for the money. Many at our club own them and they fly great with good build/hardware quality.

EF & 3DHS are just the current market Koolade. Any of the planes you've listed will fly like a dream, so just pick the one you like the most.

I hope this helps, and welcome back to the hobby! BTW, if you aren't yet on-board with engines, check out DLE. I own the DLE-55 and DL-100cc engines and both are superb. Great engines for the $$. Over 75% of people at our clubs around here run DLE gassers.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:22 AM
roadkingbill
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Returning Flyer

Great info thanks. I purchased a nice used DA 50 on R/C Uninverse, that will be my engine .