Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

35% setup question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% setup question

Finally was able to get the aeroworks extra 300 (red) 100cc airframe that I have been wanting for the last two years.Just need some experienced advice in setting it up.
I have the DA100 with standard dump mufflers, Just ordered two 2300ma A123 batteries for the Rx, I will be running redundant batteries on seperate switches. 7955's on the ailerons and elevators and (2)Futaba 9152's for the rudder.

My question (because I just don't have the 35% experience), do I need to use my batt-share with A123's? Also, will the smartfly power expander be of any benefit on this setup?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: 35% setup question

I have a similar setup (using two A123 packs into one receiver). With my older receiver, I used two switches into two slots on the receiver. (One into the battery slot and one into any avaliable slot). Then a couple years ago I got the Spektrum "power-safe" receiver, so eliminated the two switches because with this receiver the batteries each plug directly to the receiver. Pretty much the same thing in the end.

So, no Bat-share, no Power expander, no regulators. The more channels on your transmitter and receiver, the better. Then you can put each servo on its own channel and avoid some "Y" connectors. If you have only a 5 channel receiver, then you will need some "Y" connectors or a power expander system.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

I am using a Futaba 9CAP with a 149DP pcm receiver, so I will have plenty of channels. I really don't like Y-wires anyway. Thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Don't think vary many people fly 35 presenters with 5 channel RX ??????

as for your question , it would depend on your Rx's current rating and your aircraft set up's maximum amp's , or if you have any problems syncing I'm thinking some of the PCM RX's are 9 amp? maxium ?

Probably you don't need the smart fly . but they are a nice pieces of hardware

that being said I think we all buy allot of things in this hobby " we don't 100 percent need as a assarary " it seems like the giant scale planes have alot of bling to them and the price add's up with the more bling you got . and there's always those people that need to have the best newest bling possible and they claim its justifiable in some means but its offen vary hard to find the true facts with out your own experimentation

so it's kinda a personal choice some times ....

and don't forget Y's on high current dobule batt's do have the chance to react probly to a massive amp draw IE I would'nt run High amps on a Y
Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I've had some signal interference issues with gas engines, even with pcm signal and "clean" installation.
You may want to consider 2.4 ghz system upgrade in the near future, much less risk of damaging this type of large, expensive planes.
That would be better money spent than on Power Expanders, not necessary on 100cc class planes. Your servos choices are good enough for 3d flying.