Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

30% Sbach 342 - CG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30% Sbach 342 - CG?

I'm getting ready to maiden my Sbach soon and did a CG check today. I bought it from WildHare locally which he dosen't sellthe Sbachs anymoreso I don't have much to compare it to, and I don't know which supplier he used. It has a DLE-55, JTEC pitts, and 3 batteries that total14.5 ounces just behind the enginefirewall. The CG setting does appear to be listedin the manual but it's in Japanese or something.

So theinitial CG check came in at 5 and 7/8 inches, which is about a 1/4" behind thebackside of thewing tube. If I were to balance on the frontsideof the tube I'll be at 4 and 1/2 inches which is what I'd rather be closer to for the maiden. From reading otherthreads and talking to one fellow at my field with a Goldwing Sbach, this plane will fly fairly neutral if balancedmore on thenose heavy side. From what I gather anyway, it's easy to set up what you think is neutral and have it feel like it flys more aft?

An interesting note in acomparison of mine to the Goldwing Sbach: Wingspans and length nearly identical with the Goldwing being about 1" more on the wing at 89" totalI think, however my fuselage widthis 1" wider at the the wings leading edge and the Goldwing's wing chord measured at the fuselage is 1.5" longer than mine. This results in thewing tube on the Goldwingbeing centered 7" behind the leading edge while on mine it's 5 and 1/4" behind. One of these planes isn't quite to scale and I think it's mine.

Was just wondering what some of you folks with theSbachsexperiences have been, but guess I'll just go with the safe method of setting it somewhere on the wingtube and then adjusting to my liking from there.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 AM
kerwin50

Default RE: 30% Sbach 342 - CG?

Start in front of your tube and work your way back
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 AM
SharpProp

I have a 30cc sbach, and I put the CG on the center of the wing tube. I know they might be different (different brands and different sizes). Mine flies on rails at that point. But I would like to note that I had to add alot of expo, especially on elevator, because It was pretty pitch sensitive. Flying was fine but landing was a little tricky without enough expo (65% on low rates I believe)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Capt Cash

Well I put the CG on the center of the wingtube and it took 15.5 oz of lead right up againstthe engine firewall. This isin addition to15oz of batteries already anchored down just a couple of inches behind the firewall in the motor box. Seems like a lot for having all the required components as far forward as possible alreadybut oh well, better to be forward than aft I guess for the maiden.

Will report back after I fly it.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Capt Cash

Did the maiden, just easy flying as the my engine is new. Beautiful flying plane. It was certainly a little nose heavy. I think I came out well on the front side of the tube with a full tank of gas.

Pulled 4oz out of the nose, can't wait to fly it again!