Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

SD Models Pitts M12

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 AM
spock5643

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD Models Pitts M12

Looking for anybody who has built this airplane. I need to know what incidences settings used and if you set the firewall to have the built in 3 degrees of down thrust. There is no manual available for this airplane even from Thunder Tiger aka Ace who bought all the designs. I have asked them multiple times for information with out any response. As the model stand I have it setup with the following. In order to get the cowl to have a decent alignment I need to put in R 2.0 degrees and down thrust 3.0 degrees. I have built many large biplanes and this is a pretty standard setup with the down thrust and the negative on the upper wing. I can not believe that I am the only person on the planet who has built this model ans struggled with these settings. If you have bult anybody's 50CC M12 I would be interested in what your settings were.

Stab 0
Bottom Wing 0
Top Wing neg 1.5
Right Thrust 2.0
Down 3.0

-Rick
RC Solutions
Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 PM
dave pattern
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: SD Models Pitts M12

Hi rick
yesterday i maidened my scratch built 100cc pitts s11
at sccmas and it flew great
it is set up with 0 degrees on both wings and no down thrust and 3 degrees right and 1 degree positive stab(down elevator)
iended up with a bit of down trim so i would probably go with 1.5 on the stab next time.
but so far it flys great with this setup barely any down needed inverted, good slow speed handling.
anywaytheres my 2 cents
Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89855.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1686326  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 AM
codedlanguage

I'm also building TT (SD Models) Pitts M12 50 cc. The right thrust build in the firewall is around 3 degrees and maybe 1 degree down thrust. The offset used is 5-6 mm left offset and 1-2 mm up offset. I moved the firewall back 2 centimeters.
If you watch closely will see that the cowl has some right angle built in at the top. The right side of the cowl is few millimeters shorter than the left side. For the moment I will go with 0 degrees incidence on both wings and stab.

What about CG ?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM
spock5643

Yes I noticed the fire wall being shorter on the bottom than the top thats why I was looking to find somebody else who as buil this plane. I am at Down i.7 degrees and still not in the center of the cowl so I will go to 2.0 degrees on down and call it a day. I can always shim up to remove it it cause problems. On the incidences my top wing will be 1.5 negative and bottom is 0 degrees along with the stab. The CG in inches is suppose to be 1.5 to 2.0 inches measured from the rear of the top wing. This is a pretty standard CG from biplane. I have this same setup on my Aeroworks Ultimate less the engine down thrust.

Dave,

I fly out of TomCats as well hope to see you there with your plane.

-Rick
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM
codedlanguage

I'm facing the next problem: when I install the wing struts, (next to left and right wing tip - I'm not sure if those are called struts or cabanes), the botom right wing get's some ... let's call it "negative dihedral". In other words the tip of the botom right wing is pointed down. Interchanging the wing struts (putting the left one to the right and vice versa / before or after the wing fixation tabs) doesn't change anything.

It happened to someone else ?

Any suggestions ?

Or maybe there is a specific order to follow when install wings on a biplane ?

Thanks !