Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Avoid Dubro 4-40 threaded rod

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Avoid Dubro 4-40 threaded rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avoid Dubro 4-40 threaded rod

While installing the linkages on a new plane I am working on, I threaded the end of a Dubro 4-40 rod into one of my clevises and it seemed to have a very loose fit. I tried it on several other clevises and ball links with the same result. In fact I was able to pull the rod out of one of the clevises.
Next I tested the clevises and ball links with a 4-40 socket head cap screw and found that the fit was quite tight.
Using a digital caliper, I measured the diameter across the threads for the cap screw and the Dubro rod. The cap screw measured 0.109" and the threaded rod measured 0.100".
Use the threaded rod at your own risk.

Al
Old 11-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Avoid Dubro 4-40 threaded rod

Might let DuBro know. Could be a batch not up to spec from their U.S. supplier or from a typical Chinese supplier.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of the hardware supplied with most giant scale planes is larger than 4-40..... for example the ball links will barely thread on to a 440 rod, and wont hold on tight
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM
azalner

I'm using after-market Dubro ball links and clevises. I suspect that the threaded rods would work if I used them on virgin ball links and clevises. I like to run a tap into the fitting beforehand instead of using the rod to tap the thread.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: azalner

While installing the linkages on a new plane I am working on, I threaded the end of a Dubro 4-40 rod into one of my clevises and it seemed to have a very loose fit. I tried it on several other clevises and ball links with the same result. In fact I was able to pull the rod out of one of the clevises.
Next I tested the clevises and ball links with a 4-40 socket head cap screw and found that the fit was quite tight.
Using a digital caliper, I measured the diameter across the threads for the cap screw and the Dubro rod. The cap screw measured 0.109" and the threaded rod measured 0.100".
Use the threaded rod at your own risk.

Al
Just wondering if you got a hold of 2.5 mm threaded rod rather than 4-40?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
azalner

The threads are definitely 4-40
Old 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have at least half a dozen sticks here and all are up to spec. As mentioned earlier it COULD be a batch not up to spec or it could also be that the LHS made a mistake and put metric stuff in the 4-40 location/tube. Most of mine were bought in the last couple of month but not less a month ago.