Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Which 100cc Pilot RC to get... Yak 54 or Edge 540????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Which 100cc Pilot RC to get... Yak 54 or Edge 540????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
jrock32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 100cc Pilot RC to get... Yak 54 or Edge 540????

I'm debating on the Pilot RC 35% Yak 54 or the 37% Edge 540. I've never owned a Pilot RC plane, although a few guys at the field do that love them and we have a local dealer in STL. I have a few 3DHS planes, and love them, but thought I would try another brand for a change. I had a 35% Carden Edge and liked it, but it was super heavy. It weighed around 34lbs w/ fuel. I bought it second hand and could never figure out where to shave weight...

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has flown both the Yak and Edge and if so what did you like over the other? I'm looking for something easy to fly. I'm getting into 3D and would like to try my hand at IMAC.
With my 70" Slick I can harrier, hover, tumble, and I'm working on rollers (very basic 3D stuff, but working on it). It does them all well and I'd like a plane w/ similar characteristics.

One thing I don't like about my Carden Edge is it seems a little twitchy and also like it want's to "fall out" of a harrier pretty easily. More or less the tail wants to drop. This may be because of my poor inputs or the fact it weighs 35lbs!

I will say I like the looks of the Edge over the Yak, but I'm more interested in a plane that's easy to fly and I can learn with.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
Old 03-03-2012, 12:07 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Which 100cc Pilot RC to get... Yak 54 or Edge 540????

104 slick >>
Old 03-03-2012, 03:50 PM
jrock32

I hear ya, but I'm looking to try a Pilot RC product... For personal reasons... I'm sure the 104 is an excellent plane though.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:37 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: jrock32

I'm debating on the Pilot RC 35% Yak 54 or the 37% Edge 540. I've never owned a Pilot RC plane, although a few guys at the field do that love them and we have a local dealer in STL. I have a few 3DHS planes, and love them, but thought I would try another brand for a change. I had a 35% Carden Edge and liked it, but it was super heavy. It weighed around 34lbs w/ fuel. I bought it second hand and could never figure out where to shave weight...

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has flown both the Yak and Edge and if so what did you like over the other? I'm looking for something easy to fly. I'm getting into 3D and would like to try my hand at IMAC.
With my 70'' Slick I can harrier, hover, tumble, and I'm working on rollers (very basic 3D stuff, but working on it). It does them all well and I'd like a plane w/ similar characteristics.

One thing I don't like about my Carden Edge is it seems a little twitchy and also like it want's to ''fall out'' of a harrier pretty easily. More or less the tail wants to drop. This may be because of my poor inputs or the fact it weighs 35lbs!

I will say I like the looks of the Edge over the Yak, but I'm more interested in a plane that's easy to fly and I can learn with.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Ok, I have flown both. Here are my thoughts.

Pilot is a great brand of plane so no question there.

Both planes are good to fly and both will handle slow speed maneuvers well. For IMAC the Yak will have an edge (no pun intended) over the Edge as it is a more "linear" flyer of the two.

Both will require some "setting up" of things such as CofG and control thows to 3d well. Many make the mistake of giving huge control throws right up then they tend to over control as a result. In a harrier, try getting used to using rudder to correct wing rock (just a little flying tip for you).

In the end, both are good flyers, both handle the slow speed moves well. The Edge is slightly better for just 3D but it will pitch easier thatn the Yak (makes it better for things like waterfalls and falling leaf etc) the Yak is gentler if you also want to do some IMAC.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
jrock32

Steve, that was exactly what I was looking for... I'm putting a 3w 100 in it, will that be plenty? Also what would be a good set of pipes to put on it? Something that will increase power...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

I currently own the Pilot edge and have also owned the yak. Both are great for 3D and IMAC. The edge is very stable with little to no wing rock and will have a slight advantage for 3D and the yak will have a slight advantage for IMAC. So my recommendation would be to choose the one that looks better to you. The 3W 100 will be plenty. I am flying my edge with a DA 100 and stock mufflers and it is plenty. Great airframes. Weight should come in around 27 lbs give or take a pound.

Greg
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
lowslow

I have both the Yak and Edge but both are the larger sizes, don't think it matters, the Yak is the best all around plane. You just need to change the balance a little and play with the rates and you can 3D or fly IMAC.