Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VIII

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VIII

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:16 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VIII

Greetings,
Here is another post on my Fokker D-VIII project.
Model is a delight to fly. She rolls beautiful; Immelman turns are crisp; loops are realistic, and stall turns (even with the smallish rudder!)are good.
So far with wind down the runway, takeoffs have been very graceful. The model is a floater. It is very stable in the groove, and is landed two-point with a bit of power. Roll-out is very pretty.
Bottom line: A great model and kit!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106388_6018.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	59466  
Old 09-02-2003, 02:51 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Very nice!!! What engine did you use?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:25 PM
hookemut

Hi,
Thanks for your kind comment! The D-VIII is powered with a Zenoah G-23, swinging a 18X8 APC prop, plenty of power.. The fuse covering is Glen Torrance pre-printed lozenge linen.
Regards,
Jim
Old 09-02-2003, 06:51 PM
wagas

Question: When you take off does the tail come off the ground quick or do you have to give it a bit of down elv. to get the tail up? She sure is pretty, I likes......
Old 09-02-2003, 07:17 PM
hookemut

Hi,
The tail comes up pretty fast, no forward stick is needed. Tho the rudder seems small, with the long tail arm, there is plenty of yaw control.
Regards,
Jim

Name:	106844_6018.gif
Views:	344
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	59467  
Old 11-07-2003, 06:40 PM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VIII

Looks really good! Was the covering difficult to use? Did you pre wash it as the instructions called for? Glad to hear your flight comments, I'm in the process of building this bird and the flight shot sure gives me encourgement. I bought the GTM fabric and also the cockpit kit for my Balsa USA kit. Here are a few pics of my progress.

Name:	Nl30955.jpg
Views:	1498
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	73095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97330.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	73096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99828.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	73097  
Old 11-08-2003, 09:48 AM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: acobra

Looks really good! Was the covering difficult to use? Did you pre wash it as the instructions called for? Glad to hear your flight comments, I'm in the process of building this bird and the flight shot sure gives me encourgement. I bought the GTM fabric and also the cockpit kit for my Balsa USA kit. Here are a few pics of my progress.
Hi acobra,
The GTM covering went on just like Glen told me it would. Yes, it was washed and ironed out, then applied with the cement that he sells for this application-really a piece of cake to use-rather like Sig Koverall.
Just a few comments: A Zinger 18X5 prop has turned out to be far and away the best for this model with the G-23, We replaced the metal horizontal stab struts with airfoiled spruce-the metal ones broke under vibration from the engine, We epoxied the cabane fuselage ends in inorder to fix their tendency to ease out of the fuse, and we glassed the wing with 2oz fiberglass with 4oz tape at the wing joiner breaks.
Texas has a bit of bad weather just now-I miss flying my Fokker and I wish you good luck with yours! Your application of the GTM cockpit kit really looks great! What engine have you chosen?
Regards,
Jim
Old 11-08-2003, 07:27 PM
acobra

Jim:
I'm going to be using s Saito 150 and that may cause some trouble with balance over a "gassie" so I think i'll stick with the aluminum tail braces for now. I am mounting my 2 5-cell batt packs on the front side of the firewall to help the balance. Most likely will be swinging a 18X6. What doesyours weigh?
Frank
Old 11-09-2003, 01:38 PM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: acobra

Jim:
I'm going to be using s Saito 150 and that may cause some trouble with balance over a "gassie" so I think i'll stick with the aluminum tail braces for now. I am mounting my 2 5-cell batt packs on the front side of the firewall to help the balance. Most likely will be swinging a 18X6. What doesyours weigh?
Frank
Hi Frank,
WRT weight:
Wing total= 4# 4oz
Fuse total=13# 8oz
Total= 17# 12oz
I have 2 5-cell battery packs as well. just beneath the guns. CG just per the instructions, aileron gap sealed with clear tape(didn't get the gaps closed really tight upon hinging) :-( Can the Saitio swing a Zinger 18X5? Somewhat better thrust.

Jim
Old 11-14-2003, 05:51 AM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Guys,
I enjoyed reading your comments on your Fodder D.V111's. Great pictures also.
I am in the process of building the GTM low cost kit. One fantastic kit in my opinion.
I am using the Saito 170 3cyl. radial, don't know yet what prop I will use. Also intend on using the GTM covering and in the process of putting together some of the cockpit detail. (what a challange, tiny parts and clumsy fingers.....lol)
Also opted for the two piece cowl, athe rivit detail is awsome.
I am going with a Jasta 6 color scheme, love the black and white detail on the stab and cowl, I'm leaning tward the Fok. 157/18 scheme with the lightning bolt on the side.
I am looking for painting information, I haven't built or painted a model in quite some time and not familiar with the paints on the market now. I have heard that latex house paint with clear polyurethane over it works well. Also Rust-Olum and auto paint have been mentioned. Not really interested in the two part epoxy stuff.
Any comments and suggestions greatly appretiated.

Del Johnson

Name:	Ge96522.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	74660   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42583.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	74661  
Old 11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
acobra

Hi all:
Del . Welcome to the Clan, I am also doing a Jasta 6 color scheme, #154 with the arrow on the side. I am going to use clear dope on the GMT fabric and Coverite and their 21st Century paint on the wing and tail assy. Crosses and stripes will be painted on and I have a sign shop here in town that has cut markings for me before so he will get all the lettering. Your looking good, I notice the same poster I have on my wall on yours, where you from?

Jim - A 20" prop is a bit much for the 150 so I'll stick with the 18. What are your control throws? Also I'm thinking of using a gyro on the rudder th help with ground handling, I have don this before with scale taildraggers, what you think? Is the ground handling as bad as the imply?
Frank
Old 11-16-2003, 11:30 AM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Howdy Frank,
How did the swap meet go?? Wish I could have made it.
Would enjoy talking with you.
Had a great outing Sat. evening, getting together with three other local guys interested in WW! aircraft. We all attended the Dawn Patrol at Dayton for the first time this year. We had a wonderful time, can't wait for the next one with a new fleet of planes.
We have Lee McDuffy (who has been transplanted to the Detroit area for job reasons). He has a GP DR1 and is about ready to start on Balsa USA DR1.
Doug Cox put a absolutly great Balsa USA Nieuport 28 in the air this past summer and is currently framing up a scratch 1/3 scale Jenny......talk about a glutton for punishment........wires everywhere.
Steve Hill-Harris has a gourgous Sopwith Baby on floats and is working on a Nieuport.
I also have a GP DR1, also bout a Flair 1/4 scale Dr1, got a Fokker D.V11 at a local auction, plus currently building the GTM D.V111.
We plan to be well represented at the next Dawn Patrol and other fly-in's.
That's our story and we're stick'n to it..........
Later

Del
Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM
j-j

I'm ready to order D111. Have a zenoah 20EI for power,will this be enough power? Thanks j-j
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
hookemut

We.ve flown ours with Zenoah G-26s, w and w/o electronic ignition and with a Zenoah G-23. Believe me when I say that the Zenoah G-26 is the MINIMUM I'd use. The wing is very thick, the l.g. ,cowl, and with struts add up to a lot of drag.
Good luck,
hookemut
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Hurri

I am building the D8 . using the :scratch a plane " plans . it is identical to B/usa one . I built the same one 22 years ago . Used a quadra 42 then, but using a G38 this time . flew very well,hence this one again . using the lozenge pattern , but doing it by hand painting .